Just booked my first RCI cruise since 2002! A few questions!

So, I haven't sailed RCI since 2002, and I'm guessing things have changed quite a bit. I was excited to see I'm a Gold member, but then again I wasn't sure what that really all would mean for me.

I'll be sailing out of Galveston on the Enchantment of the Seas in January 2019 (yes, I know VERY far away, but hey...), and I was wondering if priority boarding would apply to me in Galveston? And what does priority boarding really even look like?

If I were to carry on all my luggage, would I have to wait until 1pm to put my luggage in my room? (Probably my most important question)

Also, since this cruise is for my graduation, do they do anything special for those that are celebrating such occasions if I mention it? And if so, to whom, when, and where do I mention this? (I most recently cruised Carnival, and there was a Facebook page where you could contact the brand ambassador about these kinds of things, wasn't sure how it worked with RCI, or if they did anything special at all- just kind of curious!).

I'm also pretty interested in the Deluxe Drink Package. I saw that it is $55/a day per person, but it says it also includes a service charge. Since this is a 5 day cruise, what exactly would a service charge for a cruise like this look like? Is it just a typical 18% gratuity?

Since Texas has those crazy liquor laws, would I be able to access the drink package the minute I stepped on the ship, or do I need to wait until the next day (like on Carnival)?

Costa Maya; any suggestions of what to do there?! I haven't been to the port since 2002 and I imagine it has changed pretty dramatically. We plan to do the sea turtle and cavern snorkel in Cozumel (we've done with this Carnival and it was such an incredible day).

We booked deck 3, room 3017 (it's a forward). My only other choice was deck 4, which I have heard it one of the worst decks to book for insides. Does anyone have any knowledge of what this room may be like? Our biggest concern is a lot of noise from staff in the evening or early hours. Although we bring earplugs, our last cruise on a different line showed us that earplugs aren't always the most helpful, heh...

Anything else you want to tell me about Enchantment of the Seas or RCI in general would be wonderful! Since it's been so long I'd love any tips or fun information you'd love to share!

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you in advance for any answers or tips/suggestions! :D

So, I haven't sailed RCI since 2002, and I'm guessing things have changed quite a bit. I was excited to see I'm a Gold member, but then again I wasn't sure what that really all would mean for me.

I'll be sailing out of Galveston on the Enchantment of the Seas in January 2019 (yes, I know VERY far away, but hey...), and I was wondering if priority boarding would apply to me in Galveston? And what does priority boarding really even look like?

Gold members don't get priority boarding. If you arrive early and are checked in before boarding begins, they may call passengers by "status", but then Gold would be the last group called before newbies.

If I were to carry on all my luggage, would I have to wait until 1pm to put my luggage in my room? (Probably my most important question)
Yes. No access to the cabins until about 1 P.M. Just let the porters take your large suitcase. Keep your valuables in a carry on with you.

Also, since this cruise is for my graduation, do they do anything special for those that are celebrating such occasions if I mention it? And if so, to whom, when, and where do I mention this? (I most recently cruised Carnival, and there was a Facebook page where you could contact the brand ambassador about these kinds of things, wasn't sure how it worked with RCI, or if they did anything special at all- just kind of curious!).
There are decorations and gifts that you can buy on the Gifts & Gear section of Royal's website. They won't do anything special for you. Probably half the people on the ship will be celebrating SOMETHING.

I'm also pretty interested in the Deluxe Drink Package. I saw that it is $55/a day per person, but it says it also includes a service charge. Since this is a 5 day cruise, what exactly would a service charge for a cruise like this look like? Is it just a typical 18% gratuity?

Since Texas has those crazy liquor laws, would I be able to access the drink package the minute I stepped on the ship, or do I need to wait until the next day (like on Carnival)?

18% on top of whatever the daily charge is. You will be able to use your package immediately, but the brands will be quite restricted until you leave Texas waters.

Costa Maya; any suggestions of what to do there?! I haven't been to the port since 2002 and I imagine it has changed pretty dramatically. We plan to do the sea turtle and cavern snorkel in Cozumel (we've done with this Carnival and it was such an incredible day).
Depends on what you like to do. My last visit we did this, and I liked it a lot. https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour

Anything else you want to tell me about Enchantment of the Seas or RCI in general would be wonderful! Since it's been so long I'd love any tips or fun information you'd love to share!

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you in advance for any answers or tips/suggestions! :D

Do the bungee trampolines up on the Sky Deck. Sit at the Oasis Bar on the Pool Deck and look through the deck at the sea. Go to Quest.

Here are some thoughts that I can share in response to your questions.

I was wondering if priority boarding would apply to me in Galveston? And what does priority boarding really even look like?

Basically, if you arrive before they start boarding, they'll seat you in a waiting area, separated into those in suites and otherwise by Crown & Anchor status. When it's time to start boarding, they'll call the different groups in descending order, starting with those in suites and Pinnacle members, Diamond Plus members, and so on down the ranks.

If you arrive after they've already been boarding a while, you'll just head straight onboard after checking in.

Also, since this cruise is for my graduation, do they do anything special for those that are celebrating such occasions if I mention it? And if so, to whom, when, and where do I mention this?

If you have a travel agent, let them know so they can note your booking. If you booked directly with Royal Caribbean, call them and have them make the note.

Assuming you're looking for the celebration to happen during dinner, you should still follow up with the main dining room or specialty restaurant to make sure they're on the same page.

Yes, you can use your drink package, but the choices of drinks available will be significantly limited until the ship gets out into international waters.

Costa Maya; any suggestions of what to do there?

I highly recommend Maya Chan Beach Resort. It's a fantastic all-inclusive beach day with excellent food, drinks, and service.

You would have to wait until staterooms open (usually around 1pm) to put anything in your stateroom.

Service charge would be 18% added to the $55 per day.

Ah, thank you! I figured as much, heh!

Great, thank you so much!

Gold members don't get priority boarding. If you arrive early and are checked in before boarding begins, they may call passengers by "status", but then Gold would be the last group called before newbies.

Yes. No access to the cabins until about 1 P.M. Just let the porters take your large suitcase. Keep your valuables in a carry on with you.

There are decorations and gifts that you can buy on the Gifts & Gear section of Royal's website. They won't do anything special for you. Probably half the people on the ship will be celebrating SOMETHING.

18% on top of whatever the daily charge is. You will be able to use your package immediately, but the brands will be quite restricted until you leave Texas waters.

Depends on what you like to do. My last visit we did this, and I liked it a lot. https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour

Do the bungee trampolines up on the Sky Deck. Sit at the Oasis Bar on the Pool Deck and look through the deck at the sea. Go to Quest.

Thank you, I'll be sure to keep my valuables in my carry-on with me! Do they allow power strips without surge protection in carry-ons?

Makes sense...definitely would be a lot to keep up with! I'll be checking out the store- thanks! :)

Great to know! Although I guess the restriction wouldn't bother me too much, especially with mixed drinks!

Awesome, thank you for the suggestion! I'll check that out! :)

Here are some thoughts that I can share in response to your questions.

Basically, if you arrive before they start boarding, they'll seat you in a waiting area, separated into those in suites and otherwise by Crown & Anchor status. When it's time to start boarding, they'll call the different groups in descending order, starting with those in suites and Pinnacle members, Diamond Plus members, and so on down the ranks.

If you arrive after they've already been boarding a while, you'll just head straight onboard after checking in.

If you have a travel agent, let them know so they can note your booking. If you booked directly with Royal Caribbean, call them and have them make the note.

Assuming you're looking for the celebration to happen during dinner, you should still follow up with the main dining room or specialty restaurant to make sure they're on the same page.

Yes, you can use your drink package, but the choices of drinks available will be significantly limited until the ship gets out into international waters.

I highly recommend Maya Chan Beach Resort. It's a fantastic all-inclusive beach day with excellent food, drinks, and service.

Great information, thank you! It seems a bit more organized, which I like!

I wonder if I should attempt to arrive early or just arrive around 1...I guess a lot of that will depend on where we stay the evening before.

Oh okay, I will do that! I booked with an agent over the phone (website issues), so I'll give them a call later on! Thanks!

I'll be sure to follow-up with the restaurant in the event we do decide to celebrate the event onboard as well. Definitely wouldn't want to cause too much confusion and stress!

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll go check that out! I'm glad to know people have some good suggestions for things to do! We were so worried people would say 'stay on the ship' like we got with Progreso (which we ended up LOVING)

Power strips with surge protectors a no-no. It will be taken. Do ask on board if you need an extension cord. Welcome back and precongratulations on your graduation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello HollandAvery, i can see most of the replies are very knowledgeable in cruising and they are all right.

I just like to add a few points from my experiences.

1) Once you are on board with Royal Caribbean cruise then most likely you will treating well compare to the service on land in USA.

2) Not sure if you are register as crown & anchor member...I am suggesting you will need to so if you decide to cruise with RCI again then you will get one point for each night you cruise and continuing to add to your c&a member profile.

Once you are a c&a member then you will assign a c&a member number. Remember to record the number to your record and notes to keep. In my case, RCI lost 16 of my cruise trip records during their major computer upgrade in 1999. Back then there were no app and easy online access so it not easy to track. I have to deal with them for many times and not much help...They are always to have reasons to make excuses.

3) if you are stop by Costa Maya...DO NOT buy beer at the bar and the booth by the dock..Because they will sell you expire beer by 2-3 months. Just look at beer expire date prior to your purchased. We got scam during our cruise in 6/25/2017.

4) Just curious, why cruise on smaller cruise ship? small cruise ship often get seasick if you are not get use to it and depend if you are cruising during the rough seas month.

5) if you are pack light with one luggage and a back pack. I recommend just to roll off when you are back at the end to avoid folks rushing out.

6) you may need to decide you dining time during your booking.