RCCL C&A; credited missed cruise after calling to move another.

M_BA

My wife and I were booked to take a cruise out of Galveston April 30th this year. On April 29th, the day we were going to drive to Galveston from Oklahoma, she was hospitalized. She ultimately spend the following 27 days hospitalized until passing away.

I never once thought to call Royal Caribbean about the cruise. We missed it and didn't buy insurance. So I thought there was no reason to contact them. With future cruises booked, I knew I would have to call can make changes to them. I finally got around to calling about our September Alaska cruise. I called Crown and Anchor the day before final payment was due to move this cruise out to a future date. C&A advised that I should have called reservations but no problem, they would be glad to assist.

The person on the phone, I wish I had gotten their name, was quite courteous. He did ask questions, when I simply asked to move the cruise to any 7 night cruise out of Galveston in 2019. So, I explained that my wife had passed away and I didn't know when or where I'd use this cruise. He asked if he could put me on hold for a few moments and I said, yes that would be fine.

He then came back and inquired about our missed April cruise. So, I did as best I could explain what occurred, without getting to emotional or upset. He then put me on hold again for a few minutes. When he came back, a supervisor was also on the call. The supervisor said that she didn't want to sound insensitive, but could I e-mail her a copy of my wife's death certificate along with any paperwork showing when she was initially hospitalized. I said yes, but why. She said that they were going to credit me the amount that had been paid towards a future cruise, along with the associated OBC. I was floored and did my best to not get really emotional. She said it was the least they could do, and appreciated that we had begun cruising RCCL after a hiatus.

A week later, I received condolence card from C&A, signed by about twenty persons. Their goodwill certainly goes a long ways towards my future cruise choices.

A week later, I received condolence card from C&A, signed by about twenty persons. Their goodwill certainly goes a long ways towards my future cruise choices.

So very sorry for your loss. Nice to know that RCCL hasn't gone "all corporate".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. Nice to hear about a human touch. My heart goes out to you and I wish you find all the strength you need. And when you are ready, the sea will be waiting for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan to use the November booking to go ahead and take the children on a cruise out of Galveston.

My wife and I were booked to take a cruise out of Galveston April 30th this year. On April 29th, the day we were going to drive to Galveston from Oklahoma, she was hospitalized. She ultimately spend the following 27 days hospitalized until passing away.

I never once thought to call Royal Caribbean about the cruise. We missed it and didn't buy insurance. So I thought there was no reason to contact them. With future cruises booked, I knew I would have to call can make changes to them. I finally got around to calling about our September Alaska cruise. I called Crown and Anchor the day before final payment was due to move this cruise out to a future date. C&A advised that I should have called reservations but no problem, they would be glad to assist.

The person on the phone, I wish I had gotten their name, was quite courteous. He did ask questions, when I simply asked to move the cruise to any 7 night cruise out of Galveston in 2019. So, I explained that my wife had passed away and I didn't know when or where I'd use this cruise. He asked if he could put me on hold for a few moments and I said, yes that would be fine.

He then came back and inquired about our missed April cruise. So, I did as best I could explain what occurred, without getting to emotional or upset. He then put me on hold again for a few minutes. When he came back, a supervisor was also on the call. The supervisor said that she didn't want to sound insensitive, but could I e-mail her a copy of my wife's death certificate along with any paperwork showing when she was initially hospitalized. I said yes, but why. She said that they were going to credit me the amount that had been paid towards a future cruise, along with the associated OBC. I was floored and did my best to not get really emotional. She said it was the least they could do, and appreciated that we had begun cruising RCCL after a hiatus.

My wife died totally unexpectedly in her sleep last year 2 days before an RCCL spring break cruise with our daughter and family. I notified RCCL and they did and gave me absolutely nothing. Not that it matters be I am and she was Diamond Plus.

My wife died totally unexpectedly in her sleep last year 2 days before an RCCL spring break cruise with our daughter and family. I notified RCCL and they did and gave me absolutely nothing. Not that it matters be I am and she was Diamond Plus.

Sorry to hear that. I am surprised that RC did not do anything. Did you have multiple cabins that cancelled?

There is no policy regarding this, but people usually post that Royal has been helpful in cases like these (where there is a death, and not an illness) where there is no insurance. I suppose you could call and ask them about it. It has been over a year but you're not thinking about things like that during times of stress so that may be a consideration. Good luck.

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. With all the negative posts regarding RCCL lately it sure is nice to see that they still have some sort of compassion towards others! Enjoy your cruise with your family.

Sorry to hear that. I am surprised that RC did not do anything. Did you have multiple cabins that cancelled?

There is no policy regarding this, but people usually post that Royal has been helpful in cases like these (where there is a death, and not an illness) where there is no insurance. I suppose you could call and ask them about it. It has been over a year but you're not thinking about things like that during times of stress so that may be a consideration. Good luck.

My daughter who was going on the cruise canceled her cruise and flew from Denver to Florida to be with me and plan the service. The house was going to be full with other out of town relatives so she encouraged her husband and 2 children to go ahead and take the cruise They did and RCCL refunded her portion since their cabin still had 3 occupants.

The travel insurance provided by the charge card used to pay for the cruise did reimburse me eventually but RCCL only refunded the port charges.