First time cruising with kids

We're going on our first cruise with our children in April 2018 on the Oasis. My DS will be 12 and my DD will be 9 (almost 10). My husband and I have been on several cruises before but I've never really paid attention to what is offered to children. The only thing I remember is some kids area with video games. Does anyone have any insight to cruising with kids of this age? Any tips or suggestions?

The kids' clubs have some fun activities. Your 12yo will be in the teen group, which we will experience the first time this August. I believe your 9yo will be allowed to come and go as she'd like, if you sign the paperwork allowing such.

On previous cruises, my kids had a blast in the club. They'd also meet new friends and then make arrangements to hang at the pool together or do other things together. And we also managed to squeeze in "forced family fun" time together - we played games, did some ship activities, and meals.

Have fun! =)

Your kids are going to find that there are lots of things for them to do oin the Oasis class ships, and not just in the official programs. Your son will be in the first tier of the teen program, while your daughter will be in the eldest tier of the youth program. There will be organized activities throughout the day, plus all of the sports activities such as Flowrider, ziplining, mini golf, rock wall climbing, etc. Then there are the pools, the carousel, the ice skating and the shows.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Your kids will have a blast in the clubs...they won't be in the same "group", but they will see each other from time to time. Also, I'm sure you'll be doing some "family time" with them, as well. Most kids (especially the younger one) never want to leave the club! And outside of the clubs, Oasis has TONS to do and see. You will all have a wonderful vacation!

We're going on our first cruise with our children in April 2018 on the Oasis. My DS will be 12 and my DD will be 9 (almost 10). My husband and I have been on several cruises before but I've never really paid attention to what is offered to children. The only thing I remember is some kids area with video games. Does anyone have any insight to cruising with kids of this age? Any tips or suggestions?

Better not let your kids talk to my daughter, she was diamond by 10:hearteyes:.

Royal does a great job with Adventure ocean for your 9 year old and since it is your daughters first cruise she will want to participate in all the events. Be prepared for her to want to stay at late night where you have to pay (after 10 pm). They have special events almost every day.

Your 12 year old will have a much less structured program. They tend to have a meet and greet the first day for the teens and let them make their friends. If your son is the least bit outgoing he will have a group of new friends by the end of the cruise. There are occasional scavenger hunts and organized sporting events. Our experience is the 12,13,14s group up and run around the ship together.

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1

I'd recommend separate room for the kids. We always had them in an inside across from our room. An extra bathroom, and kids and parents having their own space was much appreciated by all.

Be sure to have them go first night to the kids' club. That's when everybody meets up and the groups are formed. Many times those groups hang out on the ship outside of club activities. Harder to fit into a group later in the week.

We always insisted on family meals, even if they left early to go to an activity. Also kept tabs on them during the day, with frequent check ins with the parents between activities

Make sure to set the rules in advance. One most go with is absolutely no going into other peoples' cabins unless pre-approved.

Edit to add - watch out for the arcade. That place can absolutely DEVOUR money.

Not to be one of those over protective parents but I'm antsy about letting them loose with strangers. How monitored are the kids programs? I'm guessing all of you felt pretty comfortable with the staff or you wouldn't have let them go. It's just because of past experience, you never know who has access and what can happen! I guess that's true of anywhere but :eek:

We were on Allure with our kids similar ages (almost 11 and 6.5 when we cruised). They both loved the ship, which is similar to Oasis.

Of course there is the swimming (and they loved the hot tubs). My older one had fun on the FlowRider (tummy only) and zipline, both loved the rock wall. And there is mini golf, ping pong, etc etc.

The shows were amazing enjoyed by all...ice show (Dreamworks in the day + regular one), aqua show (Dreamworks in the day + regular one), the Broadway show. The parade on the Promenade was fun too. And we attended some passenger/crew things like the belly flop contest, the return guests party, etc.

We also tried some of the organized activities...the scavenger hunt, the cartoon trivia, and my younger one did the line dancing. We also just spent time exploring....and stopping at the Dreamworks meet and greet. It gets mixed reviews, but we signed up for the character breakfast and quite enjoyed it (even for the small fee).

Our kids didn't even want to go to the kids club, but it's supposed to be quite good with organized activities.

You'll all have a blast. The Oasis class is so family friendly.

Not to be one of those over protective parents but I'm antsy about letting them loose with strangers. How monitored are the kids programs? I'm guessing all of you felt pretty comfortable with the staff or you wouldn't have let them go. It's just because of past experience, you never know who has access and what can happen! I guess that's true of anywhere but :eek:

Your children will love oasis, I would guess most of their time will be on the sports deck. The staff that run the programs are all screened , are college educated, well versed at working with children and in lots of cases speak multiple languages.

My kids spend very little time in the clubs. With sports, movies, shows, dining, excursions, pools, hot tubs, dining, etc., they just found the club kind of unimportant. I guess it depends on your kids' interests.

I'm not sure if it was intentional but I love that you listed dining twice! My son is more excited about all of the food than anything else. LOL

We cruised with the kids when they were 9 and again when they were 14. (twins). When they were 9 we checked them into the kids place the first day (they didn't want to, but we made them) They wanted out after 45 minutes so we picked them up. After that day, they always wanted to go and would not come out even when we went to pick them up. They had a great time!!! They wanted to stay until it closed at night. :D When they were 14, we made them go to the organized kids meet and greet so they could meet other kids on the ship. They hung out with those kids the rest of the cruise. My son was also on the sports deck with the kids he met and my daughter was always running around with the girls she met doing an organized activity... they loved everything did.

I feel very comfortable with the kids Club staff. They always have more than 1 counselor in there with the kids and they are always having a great time. My 8-year old daughter is very social and always seems to know every kid on the ship by the end of the week. My 11-year old son is very shy and doesn't like social situations and he still loves going in there. He begs to be there every minute they are open.

Now, as for your 12 year old, it's a little different. My oldest turned 12 last year and she was disappointed with the teen club. But, she really loved the kids club too and was upset about aging out. Your 12-year old won't have that comparison so that might help. The teen club. just doesn't have much structure. She spent more time hanging out with us. But, by the end of the week, she had met a few friends too.

We bought the internet package for 2 devices so we could text with the oldest onboard. Technically, I don't think you can text, but we both have iPhones so we iMessaged using the wifi. She was instructed to tell me where she was and who she was with. She was not allowed to go to anyone's room or bring anyone to her room- public areas only. It did make me nervous, but it turned out fine. We will be cruising again this fall, so we'll see if she likes it better now that she knows what to expect.

My kids will be the same age (12 and 9) when we cruise this December. :)

I agree, the family forum wasn't that helpful as it is lots of posting about little littles.

Good to know about the importance of the first day for making friends!

The key to the teen club is going the first night. We tend to go during school breaks so it is packed full of teens and they split the teens into 12-14 and 15-17. We found that even my shy son met a group to hang out with. Sometimes they'd meet up during the day but mostly they hung out at night. The teen staff do have organized activities like scavenger hunts, teen only flowrider, basketball, etc. Be aware you may be begged for a late curfew...1 am is the ships curfew for under 18. My 13 yo had a midnight curfew on sea days. I also purchase the ships wifi so we can keep in touch with them. Its up to you to set the rules..ie never to go in another stateroom and don't do anything on the ships railings, etc.

As for you 9 yo, like others have said at that age you can give check in and out privileges to them. My 10 yo was allowed in and out but my rule was he couldn't wander the ship...he could either go to the arcade or be in kids club at night until we picked him up.

We found the staff in the clubs to be wonderful. Have a great trip.

Another good resource is the Family Cruises forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Forget this forum if you have anyone over the age of 5-6 :')

My DS 12 is coming next week along with my Niece aged 14 (going on 20);p

My niece has been talking about independence of the seas since she was 7 and saw it on a holiday programme at that time it was the biggest cruise ship in the world...

I'm 50/50 on kids club as I want to spend as much time with my son as possible but realise he like spending time also with kids his age. I hope we get the balancing act right on our first cruise. I'm expecting him to be showing us round on day 2...

After about my son's second cruise I was lucky to see him other than at Dinner Time. I'd see him walk through the swimming pool area too busy to acknowledge my existence. I swear they have special hiding places on the ship and they have warning signals whenever a parent comes looking for them near their hide-aways. . HaHa. (But seriously on Carnival if you ever lose your son or daughter look on the those secret decks in the Front. I'm on to them!!!)

After hearing the importance of the kids meet and greet on the first night, I thought that adventure Ocean was closed for the first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventure Ocean is open the first night but a bit later...I believe 8-10 pm plus $$$ late night. It is closed the first day to drop off kids but is open to visit, meet staff, fill out paperwork for the 3-11 programs. None of that is needed for the teen club. FYI, the lines can be long to drop off the first night (3-11 yo)... no drop off for the teens as there is no check in or out for them.