Free Big Red

geeko1

Geeko1, there is not a single topic that you and I have agreed on to date. But I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this post. We in Belize feel so let down by our government officials to have allowed this to happen to Big Red and the other Toucan they are keeping hostage on Harvest Caye. Any signatures that your post brings to this petition is so appreciated. If our Belizean government will not protect our natural animal resources, then we need to bring shame and pressure on NCL to stop this because their cruisers can bring pressure on them to do the right thing. Lets hope all of you cruisers to Belize will help us stop this.

Janice

Well, lets see, the "animal lovers" have already caused Barnum and Bailey circus to close, Sea World to end killer whale shows, ended cock fights, dog fights and bull fighting in the USA and are working on ending horse shows, dog shows, rodeos, zoos, hunting, horse racing, dog racing and the slaughter of animals for pelts and food and turning us all into vegetarians.

Sure, some of these activities such as dog fights are ones that the huge majority of people abhor, but this extremist push to end all animal activities and exhibits, one step at a time, is just another step to restrict our liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Are the toucans and other birds or animals at Harvest Caye being abused? Other than being kept in cages? Are they not being cared for? Do they allow visitors to mistreat them? Do the "caretakers" do things for entertainment like let them drink beer (happens in Roatan a lot)? Are they being made to perform semi-natural "stunts" for entertainment, like the dolphins at other ports?

If the facilities are similar to a US zoo, and the birds and animals are being cared for, just not out in the wild, why the Big Stink? While I agree that these aren't natural conditions, do the birds really care? Being fed, no predators.

Crewsweeper, Did you read the article? These are very unusual birds. These are not birds bred for zoo life or exhibition. These are wild birds, born in the wild, wounded and were being rehabbed to be released back into the wild to live out their natural lives. These types of birds do not do well on an island. They are not being cared for by people who know anything about Toucans or Scarlet Macaws. There are so few scarlet macaws that they are on the severely endangered list. So to have one that would have been returned to the wild put on exhibit it is horrible.

I think cruisers supporting the cruiselines kidnapping endangered animals so that their guests can see a few birds is beyond contempt. I must admit that I do not appreciate poor Belizean tour guides holding sting rags and petting sharks to get better tips out of tourists but we are trying to work with them to show them how important it is for THEM to protect their natural resources. There is no way we can compete with the cruiselines and their money to stop some of these practices.

BUT THESE TWO BIRDS ARE SPECIAL. They have wild DNA that could have added to us having more Toucans and Scarlet Macaws. There are Toucans that are bred for capitivity and zoos. If people want to see Toucans in the wild, they can be seen in their natural habitat flying all over Belize, but particularly at Laminai. There is a wounded scarlet macaw at the Belize Zoo. Does the USA let Americans capture Bald Eagles and keep them as pet? Would we take a polar bear and put it out in the desert. Being on Harvest Caye will shorten the lives of these two birds.

Janice