Cannes Rental Car Questions

Quilting_Cruiser

Actually, marazul has hit the nail on the head. It's a matter of everyday formalities. No-one from childhood upwards would ever enter a shop, pharmacy, café etc without sayng 'bonjour messieurs/dames. Anyone who doesn't - because they are unaware or uncomfortable - will be considered extremely rude and 'mal élevé (badly brought up) and treated accordingly.

The village schoolchildren who pass in the street when I am opening the shutters greet me with a 'bonjour madame' even though I know none of them personally. Politeness is ingrained.

I didn't say I think they're inhospitable, and I'm not trying to defend that. I simply answered the question about what the reputation is. And, TBH, I've experienced it even when I've politely started with "bonjour, messieur." Not always, but often enough to remember it.

And would it be correct for me to consider Americans inhospitable if I only spoke -and expected to be answered in - French in New York ???

Just saying!!!!!��

Again, I didn't say I consider the French to be inhospitable, but that that is the reputation they hold. Personally, I think that many Americans are absolutely "ugly Americans" when they travel. I've seen it countless times, and I know that's the reputation we have. I work very hard to not be one when I travel, but I can't single-handedly reverse that reputation anymore than very hospitable Frenchmen can reverse theirs. :)

...........Again, I didn't say I consider the French to be inhospitable, but that that is the reputation they hold. :)

But where and by whom are we considered to have such a reputation? I realise you don't think that, but what are you basing that opinion on?

Of course, if you mean Parisians, then I - and most of the rest of France - would agree with you!:D

Don't you think though that it's possibly different cultural norms which throw up these perceptions? If things aren't done the same way as 'at home', wherever 'home' is, then unfavourable comparisons are made?

Take French waiters for example - they take their jobs very seriously, having been properly trained, and would expect to be a waiter all their working life. So they don't do chit-chat or the 'hi I'm your waiter for tonight' type of greeting as is common in the US, and that could be perceived as unfriendly and inhospitable don't you think?

But where and by whom are we considered to have such a reputation? I realise you don't think that, but what are you basing that opinion on?

Of course, if you mean Parisians, then I - and most of the rest of France - would agree with you!:D

Don't you think though that it's possibly different cultural norms which throw up these perceptions? If things aren't done the same way as 'at home', wherever 'home' is, then unfavourable comparisons are made?

Take French waiters for example - they take their jobs very seriously, having been properly trained, and would expect to be a waiter all their working life. So they don't do chit-chat or the 'hi I'm your waiter for tonight' type of greeting as is common in the US, and that could be perceived as unfriendly and inhospitable don't you think?

Well, people outside of France likely aren't distinguishing between Parisians and everyone else. Just like if someone meets someone from Chicago, they don't distinguish them from others in the US What am I basing it on? What every person who I know who's ever been to France says, the jokes that are made, the comments on television news and programs, the way they're represented in the media and movies and such, etc. It's just their reputation and it's pervasive. Just like the way Americans are viewed as being self-centered and obnoxious.

Of course cultural norms come into play. That's at the foundation of most prejudices, I believe. You see something that is different from what is normal for you and you make a judgment call, whether consciously or unconsciously. That's just human behavioral norms.

What am I basing it on? What every person who I know who's ever been to France says, the jokes that are made, the comments on television news and programs, the way they're represented in the media and movies and such, etc. It's just their reputation and it's pervasive. Just like the way Americans are viewed as being self-centered and obnoxious.

And how many of these people you know who have been to France, or the jokes, media or movies were from other European countries, Asia or anywhere outside of the US?

I am not answering you any more as in my opinion you do seem to uphold this view. And It's upsetting. I lived for over 30 years in an Englsh speaking country and was unaware of this reputation.

And how many of these people you know who have been to France, or the jokes, media or movies were from other European countries, Asia or anywhere outside of the US?

I am not answering you any more as in my opinion you do seem to uphold this view. And It's upsetting. I lived for over 30 years in an Englsh speaking country and was unaware of this reputation.

Wow. I thought we were just having a conversation. I certainly didn't intend to offend you. I had no idea you were taking it personally. I don't take it personally when people outside the U.S. view Americans as self-important and rude, etc. I know I'm not, but I've certainly seen plenty who validate the reputation.

And, I don't uphold this view. You asked what the reputation is and I answered. I've never been to France--will be there for the first time in a couple months. I'll come to my own conclusions.

Your posts - my italics

I didn't say I think they're inhospitable, and I'm not trying to defend that. I simply answered the question about what the reputation is. And, TBH, I've experienced it even when I've politely started with "bonjour, messieur." Not always, but often enough to remember it.

You asked what the reputation is and I answered. I've never been to France--will be there for the first time in a couple months. I'll come to my own conclusions.

So which is it? You've been to France or you haven't been to France???

Your posts - my italics

You asked what the reputation is and I answered. I've never been to France--will be there for the first time in a couple months. I'll come to my own conclusions.

So which is it? You've been to France or you haven't been to France???

I didn't say I've been to France; you inferred that from my saying I've personally experienced French people being snobs. I don't consider spending a couple of hours a couple of times in CDG as having been to France. But, I travel a lot and French people do travel as well, and I've had some experience with a few.

I didn't make up the reputation, I don't know if it's true because I've never been to France, I made a joke in a conversation with another CC member and you've taken beyond a simple conversation. There's no need to be sensitive about it. I wasn't talking about you personally and I didn't attack or challenge you in any way. As I've said, I'm very aware of the reputation Americans have and I don't take it personally and I don't challenge people when they use the term "ugly Americans." I recognize that's our reputation and I make sure that I don't perpetuate it when I travel. One of the nice things about being aware of a misconception about a group you're a member of is that it gives you the opportunity to disprove it.

So which is it? You're done with this conversation or you want to challenge me some more?

Just an observation. Not sure its helpful for folks to comment on subjects for which they have no first hand knowledge :). There are plenty of posters here on CC who have spent significant time in France (including Moi) who can share their specific experience. Relying on rumors, innuendo, oft fake news, etc. does not serve the CC readers well. Much of what we have read (in some blogs and outdated guidebooks) is either dated...or just wrong. And we have even heard some well known TV Personalities talk about the French...and later admit they have never even visited the country. Rumors are just that......Rumors!

Hank

From the huffpost article above:

"So the truth is somewhere in the middle: between the French who feel that they are not respected by tourists who don’t attempt to speak even a little French, and the tourists who are paralyzed at the idea that they will make a fool of themselves if they tried."

Peace.

Quilting: Bon voyage!

Lutèce: Vive la France!

Just an observation. Not sure its helpful for folks to comment on subjects for which they have no first hand knowledge :). There are plenty of posters here on CC who have spent significant time in France (including Moi) who can share their specific experience. Relying on rumors, innuendo, oft fake news, etc. does not serve the CC readers well. Much of what we have read (in some blogs and outdated guidebooks) is either dated...or just wrong. And we have even heard some well known TV Personalities talk about the French...and later admit they have never even visited the country. Rumors are just that......Rumors!

Hank

Hank, I agree with you. I wouldn't have commented on it if Lutèce hadn't asked me a direct question by quoting me. Believe me, I wish I hadn't responded to it! It was neither my desire nor intention to offend (I even said it was probably an unfair reputation and that I don't personally feel that way); I thought we were simply having a conversation about it and didn't realize it was being taken so personally. Being unable to read tone in the written word, I had no idea that she was upset, especially since she'd used a couple emojis (specifically smiling emogis) that I interpreted to mean it was simply a lighthearted exchange.

From the huffpost article above:

"So the truth is somewhere in the middle: between the French who feel that they are not respected by tourists who don’t attempt to speak even a little French, and the tourists who are paralyzed at the idea that they will make a fool of themselves if they tried."

Peace.

Quilting: Bon voyage!

Lutèce: Vive la France!

Thank you. I'm very much looking forward to spending a day driving around southern France! I've always wanted to visit and it's just never worked out for me. :D

Hello all, this thread came just in time. Husband and I are taking our daughter and granddaughters (12/16) on the NCL Epic cruise and will be in Cannes August 18th. We have been kicking around renting a car and driving to St Paul and Vence....and now I am looking into the other two cities of Gourdon and Tourettes-sur-Loup. Too much to choose from and I already know the day will be short. I understand the last tender for the Epic is 5:30, so would want the car back no later than 5 PM.

Quilting-Cruiser - where did you rent your car? Did you use Mistral? I am thinking of Sixt - but ideally would want a car close to the port.

We are in are early 70's, and though I know we will walk a lot, I want to keep it at a minimum.

I am both scared and excited driving in France. I'll have to start holding onto euro coins for the tolls.

Thanks all for all the wonderful information!

Hello all, this thread came just in time. Husband and I are taking our daughter and granddaughters (12/16) on the NCL Epic cruise and will be in Cannes August 18th. We have been kicking around renting a car and driving to St Paul and Vence....and now I am looking into the other two cities of Gourdon and Tourettes-sur-Loup. Too much to choose from and I already know the day will be short. I understand the last tender for the Epic is 5:30, so would want the car back no later than 5 PM.

Quilting-Cruiser - where did you rent your car? Did you use Mistral? I am thinking of Sixt - but ideally would want a car close to the port.

We are in are early 70's, and though I know we will walk a lot, I want to keep it at a minimum.

I am both scared and excited driving in France. I'll have to start holding onto euro coins for the tolls.

August 18 will be Friday of the busiest week of the summer season and your last tender is at 5:30. You do not have time to visit all four towns. Rent a car as close to the port as possible even if it is a little more expensive. Leave as early as possible. Go to St Paul. Then pick one of two options:

1. Go toTourrettes or Vence. Have lunch. Play it by ear. If you have time, go to the third town. Or,

2. Go to Gourdon and have lunch there. It would be best for this option if you can leave St Paul by 11.

But wherever you are at 3 pm, not later, get in the car and drive back to Cannes. If the traffic gods are with you, spend some time walking around Cannes before you take the tender. It is worth spending time there and you will be sure to get back to the ship.

Plot your route (and alternates) in viamichelin.com and/or google maps. Whatever time it takes you in the morning to get to St Paul it could well be double that in the afternoon.

Edited by marazul

It was the responses from Hank and marazul that gave me the confidence to go ahead and do it! I went through rentalcars.com and booked with Avis. It'll be a bit of a walk to get there, but I'll get off the ship as early as I can and enjoy the walk.

You'll likely have plenty of Euro coins by then--that's my experience in Europe. I always have a bunch. Probably because I'm not used to coins being worth much so I often don't think to spend them when I'm shopping.

Please come back after your trip and let us know how it worked out for you. I'll be there about five weeks after you, so I'd love to hear about your experience. :)

No way do you plan on getting back to Cannes at 5...for a last tender at 5:30! Given an 5:30 last tender we would suggest being back in Cannes by 4! And we speak having an awful lot of experience. If you plan on cutting it closer, then you should have a real good "Plan B" which is how you will catch the ship the following day.

We love helping folks with DIY stuff (which is our own passion) but playing games with getting to the ship will eventually leave you sitting at an empty pier. Traffic in the South of France is very unpredictable and one should always err on the side of being very safe. Yes, over our forty or so years of travel we have at times...taken our chances. But it was in situations where we knew it would be easy to catch up to the ship...and we really didn't care if we missed the vessel (but we have never missed a ship).

So here is the basic rule for DIY. Go to your furthest point (from the port) early in the day...and then work your way back towards the port during the day. As you get within about 2 hours of having to be back at the ship...you should be in a position of minimal risk (which means being pretty close to the port city). Getting back early is a good thing..and it also gives you some time to explore the port area.....with the knowledge that you can easily walk to the ship or tender pier.

Hank

We did plan to go to the farthest point first and quickest, then make our way back at our leisure (lol). Thank you all for your combined

wisdom's on making this trip. Sure to get back much earlier. It was mentioned that August 18 would be the busiest, why is that - is something going on? When we are in our other ports we have decided to DIY. I am liking the challenge. Any ideas of places to see in Palma de Mallorca? We have been to Mallorca before and want to venture out to see more of the island - towns. Ship in at 1 PM out at 8 PM.

Edited by hitherandyon
too many words

We did plan to go to the farthest point first and quickest, then make our way back at our leisure (lol). Thank you all for your combined

wisdom's on making this trip. Sure to get back much earlier. It was mentioned that August 18 would be the busiest, why is that - is something going on? When we are in our other ports we have decided to DIY. I am liking the challenge. Any ideas of places to see in Palma de Mallorca? We have been to Mallorca before and want to venture out to see more of the island - towns. Ship in at 1 PM out at 8 PM.

August 15 is a holiday in France and most Mediterranean countries. It is also the height of the summer vacation season when most people are away. August 18 is a Friday this year, so you will have the heaviest tourist traffic combined with rush hour on Friday afternoon.

I gave you two suggested itineraries: 1. St Paul with Tourrettes and/or Vence and 2. St Paul and Gourdon. The heaviest traffic will be between St Paul and the shore. The most crowded place will be St Paul. In itinerary 1, it doesn't matter much where you go first because the towns are so close. In the second, you have a toss up, because the heaviest traffic going back from Gourdon to Cannes is the segment in Cannes after you cross the A8.

You might want to consider a third option: St Paul and Antibes. But there is a caveat, the traffic along the shore that week will be horrendous.

In any event, get in the car and head back to Cannes not later than 3 pm.

To give you an idea of traffic times, go to google maps and plot the itinerary. Then go to menu and select "Traffic". Then you will see a drop down menu where you can select "Depart now" (France is 6 hours ahead from US East coast time) or set departure and arrival times and dates. Then the map will show you estimated driving times on the date and time selected. Then add at least 15 minutes on your own.

Edited by marazul

Hank and Marazul, I've used Google Maps to take a look at route, and it's telling me that total drive time from Cannes to Tourrettes-sur-Loup to St Paul de Vence and back to Cannes along the coastal route is one hour and 57 minutes. I see that I will reach Tourrettes-sur-Loup before St Paul de Vence. From the descriptions, I believe I'll want to spend more time in Tourrettes-sur-Loup and it also sounds like I want to get to St. Paul de Vence as early as possible to experience fewer crowds. Would you suggest I go to St Paul de Vence first and then backtrack the 8.2. kilometers to Tourretts-sur-Loup or would that be a waste of time and I should go to Tourrettes-sur-Loup first and then St Paul de Vence? I just suspect I'll be more taken with Tourretts-sur-Loup and don't want to wish I'd spent more time there...8.2 kilometers feels like short enough distance that it wouldn't be a big deal to backtrack.

Thanks!

Jayne

Bonjour, Quilting,

That doesn't make sense. Use this search:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cannes,+France/St+Paul+de+Vence,+France/Tourrettes-sur-Loup,+France/Cannes,+France/@43.6658331,7.0951922,11.75z/am=t/data=!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd2e60bdaa41b:0x40819a5fd9797f0!2m2!1d7.122138!2d43.696973!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2d62964ba50f:0xb2bcafaa99d2c1b9!2m2!1d7.058927!2d43.715688!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!3e0?hl=en

Go from Cannes to St Paul first for two reasons: It is less crowded in the morning and you get "the view" going up there on the D2 from Cagnes-sur-Mer. Then go to Tourrettes.

If you are adventurous, you can return from Tourrettes through the countryside and Mougins:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cannes,+France/St+Paul+de+Vence,+France/Tourrettes-sur-Loup,+France/Opio,+France/Cannes,+France/@43.6289504,7.0165819,12.25z/data=!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd2e60bdaa41b:0x40819a5fd9797f0!2m2!1d7.122138!2d43.696973!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2d62964ba50f:0xb2bcafaa99d2c1b9!2m2!1d7.058927!2d43.715688!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2c03d5239f75:0x40819a5fd979a60!2m2!1d6.982115!2d43.668624!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!3e0?hl=en

Or return through Vence as suggested in the first search. You will be coming back on the opposite side of the valley from the route you took up to St Paul.

Since you are going at the end of september you will not have to deal with the crowds or traffic as you would in august. It is a great time to go. You don't say what time you have to get back to the ship, but you could even go to Gourdon if you have a really long day in port:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cannes,+France/St+Paul+de+Vence,+France/Tourrettes-sur-Loup,+France/Gourdon,+France/Cannes,+France/@43.6560344,6.9665051,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd2e60bdaa41b:0x40819a5fd9797f0!2m2!1d7.122138!2d43.696973!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2d62964ba50f:0xb2bcafaa99d2c1b9!2m2!1d7.058927!2d43.715688!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2e249e2261d9:0x20f7efb95e9c46ce!2m2!1d6.979338!2d43.719923!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!3e0?hl=en

Tracking a few days to see how the traffic is like, is good advice and I'll check into it, thanks Marazul!

Jayne - looks like we will be taking the same trip....thinking of the same questions too.

When we get back I'll be sure to tell you how it went. So anxious and excited. Pictures of the places

are beautiful and serene. Hope other tourists and vacationers let me have some of the road, and a

place to sit and enjoy!

Bonjour, Quilting,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cannes,+France/St+Paul+de+Vence,+France/Tourrettes-sur-Loup,+France/Cannes,+France/@43.6658331,7.0951922,11.75z/am=t/data=!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd2e60bdaa41b:0x40819a5fd9797f0!2m2!1d7.122138!2d43.696973!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2d62964ba50f:0xb2bcafaa99d2c1b9!2m2!1d7.058927!2d43.715688!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!3e0?hl=en

Go from Cannes to St Paul first for two reasons: It is less crowded in the morning and you get "the view" going up there on the D2 from Cagnes-sur-Mer. Then go to Tourrettes.

If you are adventurous, you can return from Tourrettes through the countryside and Mougins:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cannes,+France/St+Paul+de+Vence,+France/Tourrettes-sur-Loup,+France/Opio,+France/Cannes,+France/@43.6289504,7.0165819,12.25z/data=!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd2e60bdaa41b:0x40819a5fd9797f0!2m2!1d7.122138!2d43.696973!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2d62964ba50f:0xb2bcafaa99d2c1b9!2m2!1d7.058927!2d43.715688!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2c03d5239f75:0x40819a5fd979a60!2m2!1d6.982115!2d43.668624!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!3e0?hl=en

Or return through Vence as suggested in the first search. You will be coming back on the opposite side of the valley from the route you took up to St Paul.

Since you are going at the end of september you will not have to deal with the crowds or traffic as you would in august. It is a great time to go. You don't say what time you have to get back to the ship, but you could even go to Gourdon if you have a really long day in port:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cannes,+France/St+Paul+de+Vence,+France/Tourrettes-sur-Loup,+France/Gourdon,+France/Cannes,+France/@43.6560344,6.9665051,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd2e60bdaa41b:0x40819a5fd9797f0!2m2!1d7.122138!2d43.696973!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2d62964ba50f:0xb2bcafaa99d2c1b9!2m2!1d7.058927!2d43.715688!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cc2e249e2261d9:0x20f7efb95e9c46ce!2m2!1d6.979338!2d43.719923!1m5!1m1!1s0x12ce8180530cffff:0x40819a5fd979e20!2m2!1d7.017369!2d43.552847!3e0?hl=en

Would these routes be best for me on the August trip? Though I'd love to drive the coast, I can see it would be heavy with traffic, but then again, many others think that way and the other roads are just as crowded. No matter what, sadly we'll have to be on our way by 3, like you said.

Looks like I'll have to carry a big watch and bull horn for my group....hate to be saying "we gotta go" too many times, when all I want to do is sit and take in the atmosphere.

Bonjour, Quilting,

Bonjour, Marazul! Thank you so much for the links. When I originally mapped it, Google Maps had me going the same route to and from , so I tried to put in a couple extra villages so it would map me different ways to Tourrettes-sur-Loup and back to Cannes. But, apparently I didn't do it correctly so the links really help!

We arrived in Cannes at 8 a.m. and I schedule picking up the car rental at 9 a.m. I'm hoping to get off on one of the earliest tenders and IIRC the rental office opens at 9:00. If all goes well, that should get me to St Paul no later than 10:30. My thinking is that I'll spend an hour or two there and then head for Tourrettes-sur-Loup and enjoy the rest of the time there until I need to head back to the ship. Last tender will be at 5:30 (same itinerary as hitherandyon) and I was thinking I would need to head back by 3:45 or 4:00. Does that seem reasonable?

I'd love to see more, but I'd prefer to spend two or three hours in two villages than see more villages and feel rushed. I'd like to find a place (probably in Tourrettes-sur-Loup) to enjoy a leisurely lunch watching the goings-on.

Merci,

Jayne

Would these routes be best for me on the August trip? Though I'd love to drive the coast, I can see it would be heavy with traffic, but then again, many others think that way and the other roads are just as crowded. No matter what, sadly we'll have to be on our way by 3, like you said.

Look at the map. The very heavy congestion will be between Cagnes-sur-Mer and St Paul and from the A8 above Le Cannet to the port at Cannes. Driving the shore route between Juan-les-Pins, Antibes and Cagnes-sur-Mer will be very heavy too. These are densely populated areas plus you have a gazillion tourists in August. So play it by ear and don't get overly ambitious with all the places you want to see.

The mountain routes between St Paul and Grasse (with or without Gourdon) should be fine unless you encounter a lot of cyclists on an outing. (Unlikely on the Friday, but almost certainly on the 15th.)

Tracking a few days to see how the traffic is like, is good advice and I'll check into it, thanks Marazul!

Jayne - looks like we will be taking the same trip....thinking of the same questions too.

When we get back I'll be sure to tell you how it went. So anxious and excited. Pictures of the places

are beautiful and serene. Hope other tourists and vacationers let me have some of the road, and a

place to sit and enjoy!

Yes, we're on the same itinerary, except I'm boarding the ship in Rome and I suspect you're boarding in Barcelona...?? I love that NCL has multiple embarkation ports. I spent almost a week in Barcelona last year before boarding the Epic for a 10-night Canary Islands and Morrocco cruise, and I've never been to Rome so it was a no-brainer to pick the Rome embarkation. I'm spending eight days there prior to the cruise.

I'm looking forward to hearing about how it goes for you since we're doing the same thing. The big difference is you've got quite a group going and I'm solo. So, I'll be at my leisure and not have to be concerned about what others want to do! I hope the traffic situation isn't too horrendous for you!