Question about day in NYC on QM2 round trip

nvqa1

Hi Mike and Lyn - I am doing the exat back to back Transatlantic. I thought of takeing the shuttle from Cunard- but the new ferry looks quite nice- so for me it is either of those choices! To be on the safest side would be the Cunard shuttle - but on the other hand I would prefer the ferry! I have to thing about it! By the way there is a Rol Call already for the first leg of the Transatlanic from Southamton to NY!

Michael

Walk five blocks up Broadway through Times Square to 49th St, turn east (right) to Rockefeller Center & Radio City Music Hall (Optional lunch at Juniors Deli on 45th)

Oops. Math is hard (actually it isn't, I just had a brain fart) Obviously, the walk from 42nd to 49th St is seven (short) blocks. And 1+ long block to Rockefeller Center on 6th/Ave of the Americas.

Also, I'm a little sketchy about all the recent changes around the Fulton St, Chambers and WTC stations. Salacia and other NYers, please feel free to correct or expand upon my instructions here or otherwise.

Also - the 9/11 memorial is certainly walkable from Pier 11, but in the interest of energy conservation and time, I specified a taxi, but walking is good. Also, it's a short walk down 42nd St from Park Ave (GCT) to Broadway (Times Square) - so you may want to skip the Times Square Shuttle trains which are frequent and fast.

Also, for a totally classic Broadway experience, if it's a Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday, the Second floor bar at Sardi's is a wonderful experience, especially in the hour before curtain. The famous caricatures line the walls, the bartenders are skilled and well-seasoned (Joe has been working for 60 years or so). 44th St, past the horrid Guy Fieri restaurant, across from the Shubert Theater. Just walk in and turn right to the stairs upstairs. The bar menu is pretty good, but I don't recommend the restaurant itself.

Juniors is a good, decent NY deli experience. Most NYers will have a different preferred deli, but Juniors is authentic, good, and provides large portions, a friendly bit of NY sass, and turns the tables quickly. We always say yes to the free sides of beets, cole slaw, and pickles. (One of the better options in a sea of overpriced dreck)

...oh and another solid bit of NY is John's Pizza on 44th, a couple more doors down from Sardi's. Serious NY pizza (No individual slices and the reason is tied to old time Mafia deals. Or so it's said.)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

One more thing (promise). If you're doing a version of my tour, or if you just find yourself in Times Square, the Walgreens at the foot of Times Square (Broadway, 42nd, 7th) is a great resource with good prices.

• All the odds-and-ends of health and beauty aids and small household items from the drug store/chemist to fill in for unplanned needs on that last leg back.
  • An excellent selection of grab-and-go food items and beverages
  • A large selection of NY souvenirs.

- Mark

Solent Richard ~

Next time you're coming off the QM2 at Red Hook, do give the new ferry a try; I think you'll be delighted with it. The Red Hook ferry slip is right next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The trip is incredibly convenient, pleasant, scenic, and inexpensive, and the major sights of Lower Manhattan are just steps away as you disembark from the ferry at Pier 11 (virtually at the foot of Wall Street) on the East River. A number of nearby subway stations in Lower Manhattan make access to midtown from there quite easy as well.

If you haven't yet done so, take a look at the thread (on the East Coast board) linked below, which includes a number of photos as well as links to several recent videos shot when the QM2 was in port.

Cheers!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

Good morning Cap'n.

Thank you so much for the links, this looks an excellent service and one that I will certainly test run on the next occasion I'm in New York: at least if it's Downtown Manhattan that I'm heading for.

Looking at the timetable it would appear the service is hourly.

As an slight aside would you mind if I used your photographs/videos as an addendum to my forthcoming review on visiting the 9/11 Museum and One World Tower please.

I will, of course, give full written credit.

I guess this photograph of mine shows the basin where the ferry operates from...

BrooklynTerminalexitgate_zpsf1a77e47.jpg

Well only you can decide what your limit in sightseeing is,

Its impossible to see all of Manhattan in a day.

With the new NY Ferry now available from RedHook Cruise terminal, May I suggest 9/11 Memorial and St Paul's Chapel

from there if you have time left catch the subway to Central Park or Walk the High Line. You may prefer a trip up The Empire State Building although beware of Queues or Grand Central Station and the Oyster Bar, remember the whispering Arch.

You can walk in to the ground floor of The Chrysler Building , then there is the Rockefeller Top of the Rock.

All depends on your interests.

We had 5 days in New York and still couldn't pack it all in though one really fun event was travelling on the Roosevelt Island Tramway...

32012864046_4018aaee0f_z.jpg

I Love New York.

On our recent two way Transatlantic we did a ships trip....unguided 3 stop with 1 - 2 hours in each ....Fifth ave/ Museum mile (less than two hours here because of heavy traffic) close by Central Park......?then a good two hours at Rockefeller Centre.....then last stop was close to 9/11 memorial.

We felt this was a good overview in the time we had available at a reasonable cost.

We had 5 days in New York and still couldn't pack it all in though one really fun event was travelling on the Roosevelt Island Tramway...

32012864046_4018aaee0f_z.jpg

I Love New York.

Yes, when it comes to inexpensive sightseeing, the Roosevelt Island Tramway is second to the Staten Island Ferry.

[/url]

Good morning Cap'n.

Thank you so much for the links, this looks an excellent service and one that I will certainly test run on the next occasion I'm in New York: at least if it's Downtown Manhattan that I'm heading for.

Looking at the timetable it would appear the service is hourly.

From Red Hook to Wall Street/Pier 11 on weekdays, it's actually half-hourly during the morning rush (from 6:52 to 10:22) and then every 45 minutes thereafter until mid-afternoon, when the ferry again runs every half hour for the evening rush period.

Returning to Red Hook for a 5 pm (17:00) QM2 sailing, you have a choice of departures from Wall Street/Pier 11 at 2:30 (14:30; arriving Red Hook at 2:52/ 14:52), 3:15 (15:15; arriving Red Hook at 3:37/ 15:37), or 3:45 (15:45; arriving Red Hook at 4:07/ 16:07).

The service is less frequent on weekends.

Bear in mind that the ferry makes two intermediate stops (in Brooklyn) between Red Hook and Wall Street/Pier 11. Also, the final destination for the ferry from Wall Street/Pier 11 to Red Hook is Bay Ridge; thus, the ferry you want will have "Bay Ridge" as the destination. (When you're boarding the ferry at Red Hook, make sure you get on the right ferry; I've noticed that the inbound ferry and the outbound ferry both arrive at Red Hook at almost the same time.)

As an slight aside would you mind if I used your photographs/videos as an addendum to my forthcoming review on visiting the 9/11 Museum and One World Tower please.

By all means, please feel free to do so.

I will, of course, give full written credit.

Thanks very much.

I guess this photograph of mine shows the basin where the ferry operates from...

Yes, the ferry docks at Atlantic Basin, but just to the right of the red arrow in your photo. (The ferry dock wasn't yet built when you took this photo.) When you exit the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal building, turn left (just as you would normally when walking to the pedestrian exit at Pioneer Street). The ferry slip is just on your left, "inside" the wire fence that separates the basin from the pavement, almost immediately after you pass beneath the curved car/taxi drop-off area. You can't miss it. (See link to my video below.)

BrooklynTerminalexitgate_zpsf1a77e47.jpg

This short video shows exactly where the ferry dock is located:

See also the link to the ferry schedule, below. (NOTE: For some reason, the web page designer/programmer seems to have screwed up the "TO / FROM" function completely. Pressing the "TO" thingy actually gives you the timetable for ferries from Wall Street/Pier 11. Pressing "FROM" will tell you that you're looking at departures from East 34th Street (???), when in fact it is the departures from Red Hook to Wall Street/ Pier 11 that you are looking at.)

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Cheers, and bon voyage!

incidentally the last time we did this round trip in Nov 12, the ship DID dock in Manhattan because of storm damage to Redhook. We went on an organised coach tour that day which we didn't enjoy too much hence why we have organised our own itinerary this time. .

By coincidence, we were on that voyage and were also disappointed with the ship's tour when we spent far too long in Chelsea.

Ever since then we have always made our way into Manhatten from Brooklyn by bus and subway.

We are surprised how cheap and easy it always is.

Thank you for your responses -

Blue Riband - awesome video thanks. Yes in NYC on 20 Oct. I realise the ship docks in Brooklyn and not Manhattan; incidentally the last time we did this round trip in Nov 12, the ship DID dock in Manhattan because of storm damage to Redhook. We went on an organised coach tour that day which we didn't enjoy too much hence why we have organised our own itinerary this time.

We are doing a skyline tour from pier 78 in the morning hence my question about how to get from Redhook to pier 78 then after lunch we are doing a horsedrawn carriage tour of Central Park - the company doing that have advised us to go by taxi from pier 78 to plaza hotel central park. Then after that we plan to walk from the drop off point at the Plaza Hotel down to Macys which my wife in particular wants to visit. Then taxi back to Redhook.

Does anyone have any better suggestions as to how we can travel between Redhook to pier 78 then pier 78 to plaza hotel central park then to Macys then back to Redhook.

Sorry, but I believe your plans are overly ambitious. Just to take one segment - walking from Central Park to Macy's, and then "visiting Macy's".

I'm a native New Yorker. My dentist office (which I've visited for over 30 years) is up the block from the Plaza. I can tell you that just walking down 5th Avenue to 42nd Street can take me a couple of hours because, even after all these years, there are so many things to see, so many shops to drop by on crowded streets where speed walking is impossible. A cab can be somewhat faster, if you can catch one. But if it's raining or some dignitary is in town, you'd likely be better off walking.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a downer, but I really think you need to narrow down your priorities.

I hope you enjoy the Big Apple. Just my opinion, but it's best enjoyed in little bites. :)

Salacia

• 3 months later...

For all those who were kind enough to help us by contributing to this thread, many thanks; we are now back from our QM2 voyage and had a fantastic day in NYC.

Cunard did lay on a transfer bus it cost $49 each and left Redhook at 0730 - it dropped us in East 34th street just near Macys at around 0810. The rest of the day we walked it. We made our way up 7th avenue through times square then across to 6th avenue via a nice Starbucks then up to 59th st where we met our horse drawn carriage and had a fantastic tour around Central Park. Then back down 5th Avenue via a lunch stop, the beautiful St Patricks cathedral and countless shops back to Macys which had a sale on and where we got some very nice household stuff, clothing and shoes. Look at the watch 1400hrs time for the bus back to the ship. Sore feet but a lovely day.

For all those who were kind enough to help us by contributing to this thread, many thanks; we are now back from our QM2 voyage and had a fantastic day in NYC.

Cunard did lay on a transfer bus it cost $49 each and left Redhook at 0730 - it dropped us in East 34th street just near Macys at around 0810. The rest of the day we walked it. We made our way up 7th avenue through times square then across to 6th avenue via a nice Starbucks then up to 59th st where we met our horse drawn carriage and had a fantastic tour around Central Park. Then back down 5th Avenue via a lunch stop, the beautiful St Patricks cathedral and countless shops back to Macys which had a sale on and where we got some very nice household stuff, clothing and shoes. Look at the watch 1400hrs time for the bus back to the ship. Sore feet but a lovely day.

Thank you for the very up to date information! I think we need to do a bit of planning, decide what we want to see the most and plan a route to fit into that timescale. I know I will have to stick to my route because as previousley mentioned I think I could get side tracked by other amazing places if I’m not careful! Just a quick question, how did you find immigration, was it relatively quick and efficient for you as I have heard it can be a bit of a nightmare and with all the horrendous terror attacks in the world at the moment I can imagine it could take even longer in the future?

We are doing the same thing next month , so the bus leaves Macys at about 2pm now?

Always used to be about 3.30.

Bennybluehat - Immigration was no problem we completed the form on board and took it with us when we went through Border control in the terminal.

On the return leg Immigration was done on board - passport check.

Transatlantic fan - Return trip from Macey's 1430.

I am also back from the btb Transatlantic 13.October to 27.October. Had a fantastic time- will write a review later on. I took the ferry from Red Hook to Wall Street- worked like charme- thank you so much for all the information - Solent, Mark and all who provided all that information. I just walked of the Mary at Oct. 20, managed to get the ferry and was in Wall Street at 8 am. Had a wonderful time in New York - the weather was just brilliant! Same way back without a hitch!