Norwegian Breakaway

Soul mates

Let me start out by saying that we are not novices when it comes to traveling. We are not world travelers, but we have been around. We were really looking forward to going on the Breakaway back in May. We had a terrible medical emergency come up, and could not go. We are not ignorant when it comes to getting trip insurance. On every single trip we have ever taken, we have always gotten the insurance.This time, it was a mix up. I thought my husband had taken care of it, and he thought I had taken care of it. My mother ended up having emergency surgery, and following that, there were many complications. She ended up in Hospice care in our home, and 7 weeks later, passed away. I made 3 phone calls and spoke to supervisors, and managers to see if there was anything we could do about getting a credit for a future cruise. We did not want a refund, just a credit! I sent the corporate office a letter, along with a letter from the Hospice Director. NORWEGIAN WOULD NOT BUDGE!!! Even a partial credit would have been acceptable! We were so excited to try a different cruise line, and the Breakaway sounded perfect. Apparently, they do not care about the human aspect of the situation, it seems to us that they just want to take the money and run. Like I said, WE DID NOT WANT A REFUND, JUST A CREDIT!!!!! We will not be attempting to sail with Norwegian in the future if this is how they treat their customers.

All cruiselines have the same policy. If you thought your husband paid the car insurance premium and he thought you paid it, do you really think your insurance company would pay if you got in an accident and were uninsured? Unexpected cancellations due to illness, death, accidents, etc. are exactly what travel insurance is for. If they gave exceptions, who would even buy insurance? I've probably dropped over $1000 on insurance that I be so far never needed. My mom was diagnosed with cancer and was able to get her money back because she purchased insurance.

So sorry for your loss. Unfortunately all cruise lines have the same policy. Once you end your post with "We will not be attempting to sail with Norwegian in the future if this is how they treat their customers." You will lose most sympathizers to your plight.

We did not want a refund, just a credit! I sent the corporate office a letter, along with a letter from the Hospice Director. NORWEGIAN WOULD NOT BUDGE!!! Even a partial credit would have been acceptable!

How much partial credit would you have deemed acceptable? 75%? 50%? $50?

All cruiselines have the same policy. If you thought your husband paid the car insurance premium and he thought you paid it, do you really think your insurance company would pay if you got in an accident and were uninsured? Unexpected cancellations due to illness, death, accidents, etc. are exactly what travel insurance is for. If they gave exceptions, who would even buy insurance? I've probably dropped over $1000 on insurance that I be so far never needed. My mom was diagnosed with cancer and was able to get her money back because she purchased insurance.

This. For some reason people always look at trip cancellation as being different from other protective insurance. It isnt any different from homeowners, renters, car or life insurance.

Im sorry for your loss.