Celebrity vs Princess

julie4227

Julie, thanks for coming back to let us know you made your decision!

The X itinerary is a good one! (y)

If your daughter likes cats, she would probably enjoy going to the Hemingway House in Key West to see the six-toe cats.

Have a fantastic cruise! :D

What is the hot glass show

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Several of the Solstice Class Ships have a Glass Blowing Studio by the World famous Corning Glass (Yes, THAT Corning !) It is very cool that they actually have a Glass melting Furnace on a cruise ship!(Electric, not open flame!) . The show they put on is basically a demonstration of how they make various glass objects; bowls, vases, decorative items like glass fish,etc.These are actual trained glass blowers from Corning Studios in Upstate New York. At each show they will make various items, and at least the time I saw them later on the cruise (The pieces need to cool and solidify) they will bid off the items that were made on the ship! (The proceeds are used to fund scholarships for apprenticeships back at the Corning Glass Studio in you guessed it, Corning, New York!) We actually have two pieces from our cruise in our living room , and each time we see them they remind us of our cruise! We even had the glass blower make a small note of how she came up with the piece and the steps she took to make it. We put the note in a small frame that sits next to each piece!

If it helps (or reassures) our DS was 12 when he took his 1st ever cruise on Celebrity Solstice and then again at 14..thoroughly loved the whole experience especially the attention he got from the waiters in the MDR (he was a bit of a junior foodie even then)..in fact all the crew made a fuss over him and made him feel special. He was never into kids clubs..like your daughter.."too mature for all that"..just preferred to hang out with us.

Hope you both enjoy your voyage.

Celebrity is rated 5* and Princess 6*. So, Princess should be more expensive. The Celebrity itinerary is more interesting. What is the cost of each for the same type of cabin?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

Not sure where you are getting your information from but neither ratings are correct. Celebrity & Princess are BOTH considered 4* cruselines, or upper tier Mass Market. Never in a million years would Princess be considered a 6* cruiseline!!!

Cruise critic average ratings. But I think that this below is a better guide http://www.galaxsea.com/ratings.html#cruiseships

I think you are misunderstanding the ratings that you are looking at. The 2 rating systems you are looking at are how the particular ships are rated in terms of overall satisfaction with the product. In other words, people may be more satisfied with certain Princess ships, but that doesn't mean it's a different category than Celebrity. A very good example of this kind of rating is TripAdvisor hotel user hotel ratings. Hotels in any given city are ranked by the average of user reviews. In some cities that means a 2* hotel can rank higher than a 4* hotel. That does not change the fact that it is classified as 2* hotel.

Bottom line is Princess and Celebrity are generally considered the same CLASS of cruise lines.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Cruise critic average ratings. But I think that this below is a better guide http://www.galaxsea.com/ratings.html#cruiseships

Here is a link from the SAME website explaining what I"M TALKING ABOUT.

http://www.galaxsea.com/ratings.html

EDIT: If you read their description of Celebrity verses Princess, you will see THEY prefer Celebrity! But based on the writeups this is an OLD Summary article!

Right, it's the same page

Yes, so I'm trying to explain that they are both considered PREMIUM CRUISELINES. You implied in your post that Princess had a higher rating so it should be more expensive. I'm just pointing out That the ratings you were referring to have nothing to do with how each cruiseline is priced, since they are direct competitors and not different Classes as you are implying in your post.

Now, I know that you are young enough to make the less than 3km walk to the heart of San Miguel de Cozumel.

I wouldn't walk it, especially in the heat. The road narrows in some spots also.

Each Cruise critic review gives the editors overall rating (and average rating of all the passengers too).

While galaxsea.com gives the equivalent of the hotel star rating

You are incorrect. You are still comparing two different rating systems. A hotel star rating is consider a CLASSIFICATION RATING and not a SATISFACTION RATING. In fact, in Europe, Hotel Class Ratings are generally regulated by the Government, and they speak to minimum requirements that each classification has. It DOES NOT speak to how satisfied government is with each particular establishment.

Hi all,

My 13-year-old daughter and I will be taking a cruise next year. But we a torn between a Princess cruise and a Celebrity cruise. Both are a 7-night Western Caribbean escape with 4 ports of call.

Princess itinerary:

Sun: Depart from Ft. Lauderdale

Mon: Princess Cays, Bahamas

Tue : At Sea

Wed: Falmouth, Jamaica

Thurs: Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Fri: Cozumel, Mexico

Sat: At Sea

Sun: Return to Ft. Lauderdale

X Cruise itinerary:

Sat: Depart from Miami

Sun: Key West, Florida

Mon: At Sea

Tues: Costa Maya, Mexico

Wed: Cozumel, Mexico

Thurs: Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Fri: At Sea

Sat: Return Miami

The Princess cruise is on the Regal Princess and the X cruise is on the Equinox. This is our first cruise so all opinions and advice is helpful.

Thanks

Pray tell us the price of both Cruises for the same category cabin

You are incorrect. You are still comparing two different rating systems. A hotel star rating is consider a CLASSIFICATION RATING and not a SATISFACTION RATING. In fact, in Europe, Hotel Class Ratings are generally regulated by the Government, and they speak to minimum requirements that each classification has. It DOES NOT speak to how satisfied government is with each particular establishment.

The Cruise critic editors overall rating is based on his satisfaction level and the average of the sub category ratings-- entertainment, food, etc

The Cruise critic editors overall rating is based on his satisfaction level and the average of the sub category ratings-- entertainment, food, etc

You are absolutely correct.

Celebrity is rated 5* and Princess 6*. So, Princess should be more expensive. The Celebrity itinerary is more interesting. What is the cost of each for the same type of cabin?

My ONLY Point is just because the Satisfaction rating you quoted in your post puts Princess higher than Celebrity doesn't mean it should be more expensive, as you were trying to say.

Yes, agreed. But we still don't know the price comparison from the original poster. That will help make an informed decision as regards value for money

We can agree on that! That ends our little side discussion! No hard feelings!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

If it helps (or reassures) our DS was 12 when he took his 1st ever cruise on Celebrity Solstice and then again at 14..thoroughly loved the whole experience especially the attention he got from the waiters in the MDR (he was a bit of a junior foodie even then)..in fact all the crew made a fuss over him and made him feel special. He was never into kids clubs..like your daughter.."too mature for all that"..just preferred to hang out with us.

Hope you both enjoy your voyage.

That exactly how my daughter is and despite her being a teenager we get along really well.