New to Oceania with two questions: 3rd person in suite/booking direct-any benefit?

DanNJ

Having cruised Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean in the past, mostly with our kids who are now educated and out of the house we are interested in the smaller ship, less hectic and better food that Oceania provides. We may be sailing with a family friend and would be comfortable sharing a suite to avoid the single surcharge but wasn't sure if that was a possibility? Looking at the penthouse suites I could not see if the couch converted into a bed or do they bring in a roll-away? Also, is the 3rd person fare discounted or the same as guest 1&2?

I have used the online cruise.com a few times in the past with good results but was wondering if there was any advantage to booking direct with Oceania?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I've been told that some couches are convertible and roll-away beds are available.

An advantage of booking directly as I've found is that if you accidentally leave something behind on your cruise you will have a direct contact at O to help in the recovery process. I speak from experience and my set of keys were shipped via FedEx to my home.

You may book directly with O then transfer the booking to a TA, the best of both worlds.

Some of the PHs have pull down beds, I believe. Look at the ships diagram, but it may only be on the O ships not an R ship.

Better check with O on the third passenger! I believe I read, in the past, that the multiple passengers (above the two) have to be of direct kin to you. So your son could be a third occupant but not your neighbor.

There are multiple threads on the advantages of having a good TA when dealing with Oceania. If sure a quick search on the topic could keep you occupied reading for hours.

I've been told that some couches are convertible and roll-away beds are available.

An advantage of booking directly as I've found is that if you accidentally leave something behind on your cruise you will have a direct contact at O to help in the recovery process. I speak from experience and my set of keys were shipped via FedEx to my home.

You may book directly with O then transfer the booking to a TA, the best of both worlds.

Interesting post.

I have a couple of questions:

1 How often does one leave things behind and how much is it worth? In other words, when booking directly with Oceania one gets no discount/OBC/PPG/refund that a TA might offer. Also - what happens if you book with a TA and leave something behind? Do they discard it?

2 If you book with Oceania and then transfer to a TA how do you keep the "benefit" of booking directly with Oceania (i.e. best of both worlds)?

Personally, we always book with a TA as I find no advantage in booking directly.

As always, YMMV :)

Some of the PHs have pull down beds, I believe. Look at the ships diagram, but it may only be on the O ships not an R ship.

Better check with O on the third passenger! I believe I read, in the past, that the multiple passengers (above the two) have to be of direct kin to you. So your son could be a third occupant but not your neighbor.

Where do you get this stuff from :eek:

Interesting post.

I have a couple of questions:

1 How often does one leave things behind and how much is it worth? In other words, when booking directly with Oceania one gets no discount/OBC/PPG/refund that a TA might offer. Also - what happens if you book with a TA and leave something behind? Do they discard it?

2 If you book with Oceania and then transfer to a TA how do you keep the "benefit" of booking directly with Oceania (i.e. best of both worlds)?

Personally, we always book with a TA as I find no advantage in booking directly.

As always, YMMV :)

O does offer occasional unpublished benefits that O reps can offer. Transferring the booking to a TA will then get the sweeteners that the TA offers (I've personally experienced this with my TA who I'm loyal to and vice versa).

As for what O does with lost and found items I can't answer nor can I answer the frequency of items being left behind by passengers. I know that when I did notice my keys weren't with me I contacted my agent, to whom I'm loyal, at O and the next day was told by her that my keys had been found and that they would be sent to me when the ship returned to a US port.

I would hope if anyone had left keys or anything behind they could call & get the item returned no matter how or who they booked with

Agree; direct booking just to get better help with potential lost and found issues is not a great plan.

IME most sofa beds will have a fairly thin mattress as it has to fold up. As such it would be best suited for a child or a very slight person. Even then, I would not pay thousands for that experience.

JMO.

From O's Legal :

Third and Fourth Guests

Third and fourth Guests are charged 50% of the cruise fare paid by the first and second Guests in their stateroom, but may not be eligible for special offers.

See: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

-

And no, it can be your next door neighbor, but I like the thought!!! Our next door neighbors took a good friend with in order to save the single supplement. However you need to be very close, as it is CLOSE!

-

You are allowed to book with O and move it to a TA, but at that time, you relinquish O's control, and IMHO, there is no benefit to leaving it with O. Especially since if you read down this forum, you can see the benefits of a good TA.

We traveled 25 days with our daughter Lisbon to CapeTown. She paid half fare but did not get the free 3 day extension. Didn't matter she flew out in the wee hours for a new job in west Africa. We had a blast. She is lively and fun and we rarely see her so it was great. I think by the end of the cruise almost everyone knew her. [emoji41]We asked for second mattress and it made all the difference. They put it in storage across the hall everyday. And of course we were generous with the tips at the end of the cruise on top of the usual amount. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums