Price of shore excursions

brell

Taken from Cunard's website:

"Half day shore excursions range from approximately US$30.00 to US$60.00 per person. Full day tours range from approximately US$50.00 to US$140.00 per person. The prices depend on the type of excursion you take and whether it includes lunch or refreshments."

Are these guidelines more or less correct or do the prices tend to rise above these figures?

The figures you quoted are in line with my experience. Sometimes there will be a tour that costs much more, like the time a round of golf at St. Andrew's in Scotland was offered.

Ship tours always tend to be higher than private tours. Cunard is taking its "cut" from whatever the tour operator charges them. Second, cruise lines require that tour companies have massive amounts of insurance. If something terrible happens then everybody is covered. Of course private companies can be insured as well but one would have to vet them. Lastly the size of the group and the activities will affect price. A small van will cost more per person than a large bus.

If you book a Cunard tour and the port is cancelled - as what happened in St. John's, N.B. a few years ago, passengers are refunded 100%.

Ship tour vs. private tour seems to be closely behind dress code and smoking threads for drawing passionate opinions on these boards e.g. "Ship tours are for the lazy." or "Why recommend that somebody should pay more but get less?" If you believe that Cunard tours are too expensive they you will need to do your own research or to totally trust those offered by a roll call Superorganizer. That's the value of these boards. You can find valuable information that fits your comfort level.

I love a debate about excursions and the balance between ships, private and simple DIY ones.

Needless to say the bottom line is always money.

For me the priority is to visit what I want to visit and to see what I want to see.

If that means signing on for a ship's excursion then I don't see that as a problem and I can't recall having a bad one.

Only yesterday mentioned taking a Cunard excursion from Boston to Salem. It was an outstanding visit that would have proved nigh on impossible to do in the time allowed.

Thanks for the answers. I find the quoted Cunard prices above reasonable, at least by Icelandic standards. The reason I asked is that I have the opportunity to go on a non-Cunard 3 hour walking tour in Sri Lanka, which will cost at least $40, which I thougt was a bit steep for a private walking tour.

I love a debate about excursions and the balance between ships, private and simple DIY ones.

Needless to say the bottom line is always money.

For me the priority is to visit what I want to visit and to see what I want to see.

If that means signing on for a ship's excursion then I don't see that as a problem and I can't recall having a bad one.

Only yesterday mentioned taking a Cunard excursion from Boston to Salem. It was an outstanding visit that would have proved nigh on impossible to do in the time allowed.

I agree with you. For many people, it is often the only chance they will get to see some of the places, and doing a ship excursion can be an ideal way of doing it.

I've looked back at some of my Cunard excursion booklets and, while there are some excursions under $40, these tend to be simple coach transfers to a beach or adjacent town in the Canaries or Mediterranean. Most half day ones now seem to vary between $40 and $100 and full day ones between $50 and $200. Location has a great impact on the cost of the excursions with Baltic and Scandinavian ones being at the top end and higher.

I'm doing Japan and Alaska with Cunard in 2019 on QE, and I doubt if I will find much in the way of excursions I want to do within the prices shown by Cunard on their website.

It is a pity that Cunard don't provide the same facility as Princess where they give an indication of the cost of excursions without booking a cruise or Holland America where you can download the excursion booklets from about 9 months before departure. Again with HA you don't have to book the cruise.

I have to say that compared to Celebrity and Holland America, the Cunard prices are quite reasonable - certainly on the cruises I've done to Australia, New Zealand, South America and the Caribbean.

I don't agree that it's just about the money. I loathe being hearded about and having to stop, view, rest etc when proscribed by the tour. We always do our own thing. Admittedly it's along time since I booked a tour but there always seemed a stop at some overpriced/boring market/factory shop or some other shopping opportunity no matter where you went.Btw, I'm a woman and I hate shopping - there should be a group for women like me!!

As my wife and I cruise with two very good and dear friends, on many occasions we "do our own thing" and have a vehicle waiting for us at the port to follow our own itiniery and without exception, we always save money due to there being four of us, when compared to a Cunard excursion. However, one thing appears to have been overlooked in all of the above threads.and that is the guarantee that in the event of problems - transport wise - by not getting back to the ship in time for departure, the ship will be delayed for Cunard tours but that will not, and is not the case in private tours getting back to the ship late.

I've mentioned that we've done our own thing many many times, but I have to say that when we get stuck in traffic or when time is tight, I have in the back of my mind that we could, literally be left high and dry !.

........ However, one thing appears to have been overlooked in all of the above threads.and that is the guarantee that in the event of problems - transport wise - by not getting back to the ship in time for departure, the ship will be delayed for Cunard tours but that will not, and is not the case in private tours getting back to the ship late.

I've mentioned that we've done our own thing many many times, but I have to say that when we get stuck in traffic or when time is tight, I have in the back of my mind that we could, literally be left high and dry !.

A very valid point and Brell has posted that one port of call is in Sri Lanka so trying to catch up with the ship would be a nightmare. I was on a Cunard excursion from Puerto Valletta and the excursion was almost two hours late returning to the port - one hour after the ship was due to depart. The ship was held for us, but, I doubt if it would have been for a private tour.

Also, sometimes ports of call are re-arranged. Happened when QE returned to Hawaii when the order was changed to get better service at immigration. Ships excursions changed automatically, those on private tours had to try and re-organise their trips.

I remember one stop in Lisbon when as sail time approached the "will Mr and Mrs.......contact reception" messages started. Looking over the dock side with all but one of the gangways stowed, engines running and angry looking officers looking along the dock, about 40 minutes after sail time along came a couple in no apparent hurry. Let's put it this way, they didn't get much White Star Service as they were rushed aboard. And yes, they had taken themselves on a trip to Sintra, shuttle bus, train and bus, missed the bus from the mountain top and missed the train that would have got them back on time.

There are many disadvantages of organised trips but peace of mind is worth a lot.

David

Tours organized by the ship are rather expensive. But my experience is that they are very well organised with high quality coaches and guides. I always felt very safe. Furthermore - in St.Petersburg I would have missed the ship if I were not on a tour organised by them... Due to unfortunate and unpredictable circumstances we arrived nearly two hours after the ships planned leaving time... Even though we knew the ship would be waiting, some people totally panicked. Being left behind in Russia is not a very comforting thought.

In all our years of cruising with Cunard (and others)we have only taken 2 excursions. The first was from Izmir to Ephesus, a very considerable distance, and did not wish to chance getting back to the ship late. The second was Guatemala, a great day out, but how thankful we were that we did not "go it alone"!

We are in the Caribbean this November and have booked one trip, which is actually less expensive than the DIY version, and as it involves some travel from the ship, we are quite happy with this. We are just considering booking a snorkelling tour, and for one reason a previous poster has considered, being the company's insurance! Also hoping for decent organisation which sometimes lacks in this part of the world: but then again we want a laid back holiday!

The only one week booked on the cruise we were on 3 or 4 weeks ago was $170. It was a full day one, truffle hunting in Italy.

Cunard kindly cancelled it 2 days before it was due , after first delivering the tickets to our cabin. They did graciously offer a $5 discount if we booked another ship's tour (that we obviously did not want).

Another reason I was not overly impressed with my cruise.

There are always 4 or 6 of us so we do our own thing. Cheaper and more flexible. Renting a minivan in Halifax to self drive for less than one person on a Cunard tour. In Caribbean we rented a minivan in St Martin, did a tour which we picked up in port on St Lucia and just mooched about in St Thomas, Tortolla and St Kitts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Taken from Cunard's website:

"Half day shore excursions range from approximately US$30.00 to US$60.00 per person. Full day tours range from approximately US$50.00 to US$140.00 per person. The prices depend on the type of excursion you take and whether it includes lunch or refreshments."

Are these guidelines more or less correct or do the prices tend to rise above these figures?

Going by my recent Cunard cruises and up coming Canada cruise ,

I believe that these typical Cunard Shore Excursion prices are way to low . Short of a walking tour , you can expect more like $60 to $100 for a half day and way over $100 for a full day .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

...the excursion was almost two hours late returning to the port - one hour after the ship was due to depart. The ship was held for us, but, I doubt if it would have been for a private tour...

This is an argument often poo-pooed in the Ask a Cruise Question forum: "The private tour companies could not stay in business if they returned late." Which on the other hand means that they don't maximize your time in port because they cannot risk being late whereas a ship's tour can cut it closer.

I had some table mates who told of almost missing the ship when they went to spend time in port to visit a family member who lived there. Family member said there was no problem in getting them back in time because he had a high-end BMW. Well a high-end BMW doesn't help when traffic is crawling due to an accident. What saved them was a Cunard tour bus also stuck in the same traffic. They followed the tour bus and eventually boarded with those tour passengers - and the gangway was practically taken up behind them.

This is an argument often poo-pooed in the Ask a Cruise Question forum: "The private tour companies could not stay in business if they returned late." Which on the other hand means that they don't maximize your time in port because they cannot risk being late whereas a ship's tour can cut it closer.

I had some table mates who told of almost missing the ship when they went to spend time in port to visit a family member who lived there. Family member said there was no problem in getting them back in time because he had a high-end BMW. Well a high-end BMW doesn't help when traffic is crawling due to an accident. What saved them was a Cunard tour bus also stuck in the same traffic. They followed the tour bus and eventually boarded with those tour passengers - and the gangway was practically taken up behind them.

Neat story Blue Ribband.

In January I took a ship's excursion to Chitzen Itsa from Cozumel.

There were 3 coaches one of which was held up out in the countryside. The final part of the excursion was a ferry ride back to Cozumel from Playa Del Carmen.

We eventually arrived back on board an hour after the ship's 'scheduled' sail time.

Looking through the posts on this thread so far I note there is certainly one factor that is missing and that is the variety and diversity of places offered on ship's excursions.

Particularly with Cunard is the 'cultural' element and the mere fact they offer such a choice to their passengers is to their credit.

There are those who do wish to see places of culture and interest 'beyond the port' while of course there are those, we've all sen them, quite prepared to aimlessly walk around the local streets looking for a free wifi spot and killing time till lunch is served back onboard.

Isn't travel a wonderful opportunity to see the world. :evilsmile:

I don't agree that it's just about the money. I loathe being hearded about and having to stop, view, rest etc when proscribed by the tour. We always do our own thing. Admittedly it's along time since I booked a tour but there always seemed a stop at some overpriced/boring market/factory shop or some other shopping opportunity no matter where you went.Btw, I'm a woman and I hate shopping - there should be a group for women like me!!

Good morning Csardas.

I of course would beg to differ with you on the money issue. No matter what cruise board or forum one reads, 'cost' is the one factor raised by 95% of contributors.

Hence the proliferation of the 'private' excursion companies which brings me to my next point of disagreement.

I've never considered myself being 'herded' on any ship's excursion. I once opted for one of these so called 'private' excursions by virtue of the fact they were offering a particular visit, on an itinerary that was similar to the ship's one, but didn't include the particular place that was of interest to me.

It was during a visit to Kotor and the place in question was Sveti Stefan...

15375605017_5cc18a53c9_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/10/23/one-way-to-do-kotor/

On arrival at the jetty, Kotor is a tender port, the private excursion coaches and groups were the same size.

I couldn't agree more. We take very few organised excursions because we DO feel "herded" about. In the past, we have been enjoying a particular aspect of a tour and had to leave because the guide wants us to go elsewhere. We prefer to do what we want, when we want to.

Generally we do just wander around, not looking for free wifi, as suggested above, and not going back to the ship for our free lunch - unless we are ready to go back anyway, but often enjoying a local meal. Some of us find sitting for lengthy coach or car journeys uncomfortable or even painful and like to walk at our own pace, soaking up the atmosphere.

I wouldn't dream of telling those that enjoy the tours they were wrong to do them, but not everyone feels the same - nothing whatsoever to do with cost!

I have been on a ships tour where there was something of a revolt over the obligatory visit to a shop. In this case it was a carpet factory in Turkey. We were running late so it was lunch time and where they wanted to herd us was within walking distance of the ship. A few of us, declined the invitation to visit the carpet factory/shop and walked back to the ship for lunch.

Cunard are not as bad as some companies. We did a tour that included Street, Wells and Glastonbury. The coach company must have had a deal with a shoe company as we were given more time in a shoe shop in Street then we got in Glastonbury.

I have been on a ships tour where there was something of a revolt over the obligatory visit to a shop. In this case it was a carpet factory in Turkey.

We had that rubbish in Istanbul as well.

It was a nonsense. They just rolled out about 1 million carpets on the floor and then tried to flog them to you. Some wag said he was interested in the very first one so matey shop owner then went into a flap trying to find it (when it was buried under a pile a foot thick).

And we got taken to some jewelry place when we went to Pompeii.

Back-handers all round.