12 Days Rio to Buenos Aires?

Phillygirl3

Has anyone done the Rio to Buenos Aires itinerary on Oceania? We are considering the 12 day sailing in October but wonder if it's worth doing. We have heard of so many people saying that these sailings tend to result in a lot of people getting sick or a Code Red Alert being issued. In addition, I was wondering if inoculations are required as I have read on other cruise lines web sites, that they are required for South America. I am not thrilled about the thought of getting shots as my doctor has said that some of the required inoculations produce worse side effects than what it was supposed to protect one from. I would appreciate any feedback from my fellow cruisers who may have done this particular cruise.:)

Has anyone done the Rio to Buenos Aires itinerary on Oceania? We are considering the 12 day sailing in October but wonder if it's worth doing. We have heard of so many people saying that these sailings tend to result in a lot of people getting sick or a Code Red Alert being issued. In addition, I was wondering if inoculations are required as I have read on other cruise lines web sites, that they are required for South America. I am not thrilled about the thought of getting shots as my doctor has said that some of the required inoculations produce worse side effects than what it was supposed to protect one from. I would appreciate any feedback from my fellow cruisers who may have done this particular cruise.:)

With so many fears why would you consider this cruise?

First, we are picking up that cruise in Buenos Aires. We have travelled extensively through South America over the past 30 years and have NEVER been sick! Ask me about Mexico and I have been sick almost every time we have travelled to Mexico.

If people are getting sick "on-board" it is due to not paying attention to proper hygiene on board or on land.

Don't worry about it. Ask yourself if you are up to travelling and eating different food items on land. If your immune system is compromised by some form of geriatric illness, then do not do it.

You will love it!

Thank you St. Paul. I'm still wondering about inoculations--were any required?

Your feedback was much appreciated!!

We did nothing special from an inoculation perspective. We have up to date hep a and b.

Maybe take some anti diarea medication in case of an emergency.

Drink a few gin and tonics to combat maleria.

Spend a few nights pre cruise in Rio as it is a beautiful city.

We have been on this cruise, it was great with a mix of beach, nature, village and city culture. The least developed port was Rio Grande but it was interesting enough.

I do not recall any incidents of people getting sick, and definitely no Code Red alerts issued.

There were no inoculations (e.g., yellow fever) required, at least when we were there. Recommended if venturing inland but did not need it to enter the country or board the ship. Not sure if zika is still an issue though.

Although you have overnights at both ends, if you can afford the time, expense and planning, I would recommend that you still add extra days on both ends to immerse yourself in the two cities; they are worth at least three days each (but exercise caution as appropriate). Also, even though there isn't too much of a time zone change, it is a long flight from North America and you will probably still feel the effects of jet lag (although perhaps a little bit muted), so it will allow you some time to recover from that as well.

We did nothing special from an inoculation perspective. We have up to date hep a and b.

Maybe take some anti diarea medication in case of an emergency.

Drink a few gin and tonics to combat maleria.

Spend a few nights pre cruise in Rio as it is a beautiful city.

Given the misspellings of "diarrhea" and "malaria" and the completely incorrect advice about tonic water as an effective prophylaxis against malaria, I can't help but reiterate my suggestion of seeking medical advice from a medical professional.

Given the misspellings of "diarrhea" and "malaria" and the completely incorrect advice about tonic water as an effective prophylaxis against malaria, I can't help but reiterate my suggestion of seeking medical advice from a medical professional.

Take the same pre cautions as you would if you were visiting NYC, especially if you were visiting where MarkieMark lives! ;p

What I suggested is all you need for the Rio cruise.

Malaria is not an issue in South America but if it were tonic water would not help except to get stains out of your clothes.

If you are lucky enough to have adequate healthcare you may want to check if they have a vacation clinic; it will advise if you are up to date on innoculations. We did not need any for our Brazil/Argentina/Peru land trip.

Friends took the O trip and enjoyed it; it works as long as they give you a day on each side of Iguazu falls; if not you should book that in at the start or end of the cruise. Despite the scary stories Rio is absolutely a treat with great nature in and near the city; it is very unlikely you will be in dangerous favelas unless you do a tour. BA has a lot of great neighborhoods to walk and a very cool cemetery where Eva Peron is buried and her museum is kinda cool if you know her back story. Enjoy your travels.

Malaria is not an issue in South America but if it were tonic water would not help except to get stains out of your clothes.

If you are lucky enough to have adequate healthcare you may want to check if they have a vacation clinic; it will advise if you are up to date on innoculations. We did not need any for our Brazil/Argentina/Peru land trip.

Friends took the O trip and enjoyed it; it works as long as they give you a day on each side of Iguazu falls; if not you should book that in at the start or end of the cruise. Despite the scary stories Rio is absolutely a treat with great nature in and near the city; it is very unlikely you will be in dangerous favelas unless you do a tour. BA has a lot of great neighborhoods to walk and a very cool cemetery where Eva Peron is buried and her museum is kinda cool if you know her back story. Enjoy your travels.

And remember to go to the comedy store and buy a sense of humor! Life is beautiful and too short. Get a sense of humor:(

If you were spending time in the interior of some South American countries, Typhoid and Hep A and B would be the innoculations to ask a travel doctor about. Along the coast between these two big cities, probably it would not be necessary. There is no shot for shipboard illnesses-just careful hygiene. Bug spray and Immodium are sensible to take if you are nervous. And of course, as said above a sense of humor and adventure.

We did this cruise on Regatta last year and enjoyed it, despite being Code Red throughout and boarding very late in the evening due to cleaning to try (unsuccessfully) to eradicate the norovirus.

We were inundated with emails from Oceania recommending us to get yellow fever inoculations, so we did. It wasn't compulsory though. Looking at the yellow fever map, I seem to recall that it was the area around Rio Grande that was prone to yellow fever. However we did not actually call there as the sea was too rough. This caused problems as we were meant to clear Brazilian customs and immigration there and the next port of call did not have these officials. So we had to make a stop at another port, where we were not allowed off, so the ship could do this.

We booked the Oceania hotel and airport transfer on arrival in Buenos Aires. I do not recommend their transfer. We waited around for over an hour because somebody was missing and then another long wait outside after they called the bus till it finally turned up. Just get a taxi! But tell the rep first.

We had our shots brought up to date for South America, but we were never asked to show them. Malaria is not shots, it is pills, and we had this for Africa and they are ROUGH. Nothing for SA. It is a wonderful cruise and well worth it. Norovirus is from not washing your hands. Can happen any time.

We did this cruise in 1998. No shots are needed, unless you also plan to cruise to the Amazon. I would highly recommend the pre-cruise package to see Iguazu Falls before the cruise. Not to be missed. Nobody got sick on the cruise. Highly recommended.

The only negative is that you have to get a Brazilian visa.