DIY beach vow renewal Cozumel

randichelle

thinking of cruising Carnival to Cozumel in March and am wanting to have a small (10-20 people) beach picnic vow renewal on a public beach (playa palancar) with my own officiant... no decorations besides picnic blankets and baskets but we will be in formal wear so will be fairly conspicuous...is this allowed here?

thinking of cruising Carnival to Cozumel in March and am wanting to have a small (10-20 people) beach picnic vow renewal on a public beach (playa palancar) with my own officiant... no decorations besides picnic blankets and baskets but we will be in formal wear so will be fairly conspicuous...is this allowed here?

It would be best to contact direct probably via facebook. Their website doesn't seem to be working, at least for me. I have contacted via email in the past, playapalancarcozumel@hotmail.com. Not sure if you will be going early but last time I was there I found it quite busy so not sure if you have a location in mind?

Are you asking if you can take your own food and drinks when you mention picnic baskets?

no food picnic baskets are just for looks mostly. Was thinking about buying a bottle of champagne or something when we dock for a toast after but it's not something I HAVE to do. Playa Palancar is a public beach right? No one own the right to access it? Is there a less crowded public beach that might be better?

I'm also thinking of just paying extra for the cruise that goes to Grand Cayman because I'm almost positive it's ok there. Which has prettier beaches do you think, Grand Cayman or Cozumel? I've been to 7 mile beach and it was BEAUTIFUL! But I've never been to a Cozumel beach because when we docked there we did the dolphin swim.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!!!!

no food picnic baskets are just for looks mostly. Was thinking about buying a bottle of champagne or something when we dock for a toast after but it's not something I HAVE to do. Playa Palancar is a public beach right? No one own the right to access it? Is there a less crowded public beach that might be better?

All beaches in Mexico are public up to high water mark. If you want to use tables, chairs, loungers, bathroom facilities it is assumed and expected, you will purchase food and/or drinks to use these facilities. Palancar actually charges a lounge rental I believe,but I have only ever used tables and chairs, and is serviced by a fairly large beach bar/restaurant.

If you search for Mitsugirly on these boards, you will find a lengthy photo review since I am assuming from your comment you haven't been to this beach club before?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49345423

Palancar starts at post #315.

Alternative suggestions would depend on budget? My recommendation would be a quiet beach on east side, maybe Playa San Martin if you want primitive ( no facilities, although there is a restaurant across the road if it is still open) or Playa Morena, which is a beach club but has a lot of space to find a quiet area. Google both for photos and details. Problem with east side would be transport, only slightly higher than Palancar but you would need to be certain of arranging return transportation. I am sure others will have other suggestions.

Personally, I would reach out to ToursPlaza for transport (some people will suggest Black Hat) to be sure of transport for a group that size and getting back to ship, but this will obviously increase your costs. Maybe you could just arrange for a couple of vans from dispatch for 3/4 hour hire which would be less expensive than private driver if you knew exactly where you wanted to go.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxipuertamaya?From=Taxiinternational

Transport would not be a problem from the southern beach clubs, including Palancar, but you will have more people. Do you intend to change out of your formal wear as it will become very hot, very quickly? If so you will need to consider changing facilities if you want to stay on at the beach.

Playa Palancar is an excellent choice - away from the main day visitor beaches and a beautiful spot that's not overdeveloped like the other beach clubs but has the amenities you want. You can use their facilities by eating/drinking there, and I'm sure they can accommodate a vow renewal since you're doing everything. They will probably offer to put you in a less busy spot on the beautiful beach if you want a little more privacy.

Good idea to email them and let them know you're coming and to get there early. You will need to coordinate with an officiant, we did this in STT through a planner and they provided the officiant and the champagne I ordered. As mentioned transportation becomes one of the biggest challenges for a larger group, we haven't cruised to Coz in some time because we have a home across the water so do check to see if you will be able to work with taxis when you arrive or if you need to plan ahead. You don't want to waste time on that when you arrive...

I would stick with Coz for the beach setting and for less $$$, if you choose GCM consider a day package at the Marriott or Weston and a much higher bill including the transportation.

All beaches in Mexico are public up to high water mark. If you want to use tables, chairs, loungers, bathroom facilities it is assumed and expected, you will purchase food and/or drinks to use these facilities. Palancar actually charges a lounge rental I believe,but I have only ever used tables and chairs, and is serviced by a fairly large beach bar/restaurant.

If you search for Mitsugirly on these boards, you will find a lengthy photo review since I am assuming from your comment you haven't been to this beach club before?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49345423

Palancar starts at post #315.

Alternative suggestions would depend on budget? My recommendation would be a quiet beach on east side, maybe Playa San Martin if you want primitive ( no facilities, although there is a restaurant across the road if it is still open) or Playa Morena, which is a beach club but has a lot of space to find a quiet area. Google both for photos and details. Problem with east side would be transport, only slightly higher than Palancar but you would need to be certain of arranging return transportation. I am sure others will have other suggestions.

Personally, I would reach out to ToursPlaza for transport (some people will suggest Black Hat) to be sure of transport for a group that size and getting back to ship, but this will obviously increase your costs. Maybe you could just arrange for a couple of vans from dispatch for 3/4 hour hire which would be less expensive than private driver if you knew exactly where you wanted to go.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxipuertamaya?From=Taxiinternational

Transport would not be a problem from the southern beach clubs, including Palancar, but you will have more people. Do you intend to change out of your formal wear as it will become very hot, very quickly? If so you will need to consider changing facilities if you want to stay on at the beach.

I have thought about the changing situation. The groomsmen are all my children so I will just put swim trunks under their pants and pack shirts and flip flops. My skirt is detachable from the dress as are the bridesmaids. The heat is also another advantage I think for Grand Cayman....we would dock there at 7am but in Cozumel we don't dock until 10am. The earlier the wedding the better I think. Thanks for the photo search tip! I think the east side is too far to go. Trasport also seems to be advantage Grand Cayman....since 7mile beach is right next to the dock. I think I will just pay for the more expensive cruise and do Grand Cayman.

I have thought about the changing situation. The groomsmen are all my children so I will just put swim trunks under their pants and pack shirts and flip flops. My skirt is detachable from the dress as are the bridesmaids. The heat is also another advantage I think for Grand Cayman....we would dock there at 7am but in Cozumel we don't dock until 10am. The earlier the wedding the better I think. Thanks for the photo search tip! I think the east side is too far to go. Trasport also seems to be advantage Grand Cayman....since 7mile beach is right next to the dock. I think I will just pay for the more expensive cruise and do Grand Cayman.

Dont forget also that in Grand Cayman you will all have to catch the ferry as ships are not allowed to dock there everyone has to be ferried over.

Good point regarding the tender although I guess if you are not actually meeting anyone at a particular time it is not too critical and keep in mind ship time vs local time for time of day.

Not sure what you mean about 7 mile being right next to the dock, I would think you would need a bus or a taxi but I am sure there are people on the Cayman board that may be able to make suggestions for quieter area.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

For GCM, you will all need to tender into the port and then take buses to a location that you choose on SMB or elsewhere. The buses are small and will be busy so your group will use several different buses.

And have you researched Cemetery Beach, Governor's Beach, Smith Barcadere, etc to see what these beaches offer?

I think Coz is a much better choice for your plans, and Playa Palancar a great spot on the west coast. On GCM we'd probably be looking at booking a resort for this, and that's not only much more expensive ($$$$) but more commercialized. I would definitely include GCM in your itinerary, but just enjoy the day on a day sail or a jet ski excursion with Fat Fish Adventures, perhaps.

Enjoy your cruise whatever option you choose!

Good point regarding the tender although I guess if you are not actually meeting anyone at a particular time it is not too critical and keep in mind ship time vs local time for time of day.

Not sure what you mean about 7 mile being right next to the dock, I would think you would need a bus or a taxi but I am sure there are people on the Cayman board that may be able to make suggestions for quieter area.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

You're right it's not right next to the dock. I guess I had had a few that day and was remembering it wrong ;). I just remember being able to see the ship from the beach lol. Thanks for reminding me about the tenders! When we went we got off the ship pretty late so there was no line. I think we dock at like 7 or 8 if we want to get off the ship as soon as we dock are the lines to get off of the ship long that early in the morning?

You're right it's not right next to the dock. I guess I had had a few that day and was remembering it wrong ;). I just remember being able to see the ship from the beach lol. Thanks for reminding me about the tenders! When we went we got off the ship pretty late so there was no line. I think we dock at like 7 or 8 if we want to get off the ship as soon as we dock are the lines to get off of the ship long that early in the morning?

There are always lines early to get off a ship that tenders and how the ship regulates it depends on the cruise line. Some require queuing for tender tickets, many restrict first tenders for cruise ship excursions.

Also keep in mind that on a cruise it is never guaranteed that you will dock at a specified port on a given day but the risk of being unable to dock always increases with a tender port.

If we skip port my backup plan is to just meet up on deck somewhere fairly secluded and do it there.....or maybe wait until Cozumel day and do it there like my original plan. I haven't quite yet decided. Anybody ever been on 7 mile at 9 am on a port day....how crowded is it that early? We were there at 10:30 and there were crowded spots but there were also some that were fairly secluded further down from the Royal Palms.

If we skip port my backup plan is to just meet up on deck somewhere fairly secluded and do it there.....or maybe wait until Cozumel day and do it there like my original plan. I haven't quite yet decided. Anybody ever been on 7 mile at 9 am on a port day....how crowded is it that early? We were there at 10:30 and there were crowded spots but there were also some that were fairly secluded further down from the Royal Palms.

I think you will get better suggestions and advice on the Grand Cayman board. I have been there several times but nowhere near as familiar with Grand Cayman as Coxumel.

Yes you will find a lot of feedback already posted on the GCM forum regarding tender wait times as that is a very sore subject.

Regarding your questions on a vow renewal on SMB or another beach, I would suggest posing those specific questions on the GCM forum on trip advisor. You will get much more useful feedback there in regards to the busiest spots on SMB and the best transportation options. We've stayed on GCM and if we were doing a vow renewal there we'd want the east end or Rum Point. But we would drive there and with your group that just isn't an option. So you will probably be limited to taking several buses up the coast to Cemetery Beach or the other direction to Smith's. But again the destination experts on TA can be very helpful.

Research is critical for pulling off a successful group event at a port.

Yes you will find a lot of feedback already posted on the GCM forum regarding tender wait times as that is a very sore subject.

Regarding your questions on a vow renewal on SMB or another beach, I would suggest posing those specific questions on the GCM forum on trip advisor. You will get much more useful feedback there in regards to the busiest spots on SMB and the best transportation options. We've stayed on GCM and if we were doing a vow renewal there we'd want the east end or Rum Point. But we would drive there and with your group that just isn't an option. So you will probably be limited to taking several buses up the coast to Cemetery Beach or the other direction to Smith's. But again the destination experts on TA can be very helpful.

Research is critical for pulling off a successful group event at a port.

Thank You!!!