Constellation Cruise Christmas and New Year 2018 Arabian Sea and India

Wire Fox Terrier

Hi Everyone

We're thinking about booking this cruise. One of the (many) reasons is that we would love to be at the Burj Khalifa in Dubai on New Year's Eve to see the fireworks.

Does anyone have experience of that? Did you stay on board or try to get to the Burj Khalifa?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

We did the cruise last Xmas and stayed onboard-you can see some fireworks from the ship and there is a deck party which is quite good.

From what I remember the city closes to traffic about 4pm and a few people booked hotels for the Firework experience. If seeing the fireworks is the reason for the cruise it could work out expensive with the Indian visa etc. Maybe better just to do Dubai for a couple of nights!!

Hi RichKath

Thanks so much for the link to your review - it's so helpful! Did Celebrity arrange your visa for India or is that something you had to arrange for yourself?

Does the Burj al Arab have fireworks too? If so, can you see them from the ship?

I'm thinking I might just have to accept that I'll be on board for NYE, but hey, that's not too shabby - we love Celebrity ships!!

Heather

Hi RichKath

Thanks so much for the link to your review - it's so helpful! Did Celebrity arrange your visa for India or is that something you had to arrange for yourself?

Does the Burj al Arab have fireworks too? If so, can you see them from the ship?

I'm thinking I might just have to accept that I'll be on board for NYE, but hey, that's not too shabby - we love Celebrity ships!!

Heather

Hi Heather. I'm not RichKath, but I can answer the Indian Visa question. You have to apply for the Visa yourself. Celebrity does not help (except for pointing you to Visa Central if you want assistance). We did a similar cruise on Azamara (sister cruise line to Celebrity). Getting the Indian Visa is quite the persnickety process (no smiling in your Visa photo, no wearing glasses in your Visa photo). We ended up using Visa Central, even though it was more expensive. We both received a ten year Visa (the Indian authorities decide which one you get). We were pleased with the service from Visa Central. You need to start the process early, due to variability on processing times. Cheers.

We arranged the visa ourselves. It is simple enough if you do a bit of research. It's dear enough without paying someone else. We got the visa back in a week.

I would be happy to give you any help you need, although there was talk of them doing an ESTA type visa for cruise ports this year.

I don't know if there are fireworks at the Burj al Arab, as we couldn't see the hotel from the ship, but the main display is at the Burj Khalifa with some other fireworks across the city.

Hi RichKath

Thanks for the advice on both counts. I'm always impressed how people are so willing to help on these boards!

I really now need to do some more research based on the information I've had.

We're thinking of booking this cruise when we're on Reflection in September, so hopefully I'll know what's what by then. I'm hoping we might get a good deal by booking on board - keeping my fingers crossed!

Heather

We really enjoyed New Year's Eve (as opposed to Christmas Day, which was a bit flat) on the ship. There was entertainment from Joe & Liv in the Sunset Bar. Sadly I don't think they are with Celebrity any longer.

Hi Heather

I don't know if I would wait till Sept to book as air far could be expensive then due to Xmas/NYE.see below

The Indian visa centres in U.K allow you to print off your forms and then make an appt at the centre to check it is correct. We went from Devon to Bristol to do this as only booked the cruise 8 was before sailing! Our economy flights then were about £700 each Maybe another thing to check out now

Liz

Hi RichKath and Orator, thanks both for the hints and tips - much appreciated!

Liz: Thanks for thinking about me, but when I initially rang Celebrity last week, they said the flights weren't out yet for December 2018, so I think it'll be ok. I'll definitely look into the Indian Visa centres.

Kind regards

Heather