Le harve france for kids /close to port?

Hi

Can anyone recommend from the past visits here of any where to visit that would interest kids please? Their ages are 8, 12, 13 and 14

Also I've been trying to research whether places of interest are close enough to walk from the port?

From what I've read it seems to be, but I'd prefer an opinion of someone who's already visited

Many thanks

Steve

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

Paris is about a two and a half hour drive from Le Harve

Strongly suggest a private tour with

driverguidefrance.com

Answers quickly all emails and questions.

Excellent company will pick you up at the cruise port at pre arranged times and show you all the important sites.

Will do the tour to suit you and get you back to the ship on time.

Look at the train to Rouen. On the weekends they might have family fares.

Rouen, capital of the northern French region of Normandy, is a port city on the river Seine. Important in the Roman era and Middle Ages, it has Gothic churches, such as Saint-Maclou and Saint-Ouen, and a cobblestoned pedestrian center with medieval half-timbered houses. The skyline is dominated by the spires of Cathédrale Notre-Dame, much-painted by Impressionist Claude Monet.

The Tour Jeanne-d’Arc is the keep of the former Rouen castle, where Joan of Arc was tried for heresy. Place du Vieux-Marché, where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake in 1431, has a commemorative park and the modernist Sainte-Jeanne-d'Arc Church, as well as a produce/fish market. Rue du Gros-Horloge is named for a massive astronomical clock dating to the Renaissance. The Musée des Beaux-Arts displays noted 16th- to 20th-century works, including many Impressionist pieces. Modern developments include the redeveloped Docks 76, now a shopping center in former dockland warehouses.

In my view, La Havre for youngsters would be tricky one to sell. It has its charm and is a UNESCO world heritage site, but it is very samey with a lot of post WW2 architecture.The cathedral is very impressive though. As an alternative you may want to consider Honfleur. It is an impressive medieval town and very close by. Paris has always seemed too far away to do in a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just returned from Independence of the Seas that stopped at Le Harve.

As others had said Le Harve is an industrial area, you can not walk off the ship and go anywhere. You can purchase shuttle tickets that will take you outside the area, they sell them on the ship.

We hired a private driver to take us to/from Paris. It took two hours to get to Paris with one quick restroom stop. We stopped at all the popular places. The tour guide/driver will customize the tour to your needs or desires. The ride back to the ship was almost 2.5 hours because there was an accident on the road. We weren't worried since we allowed plenty of time for the ride back.

If you are interested let me know and I will send you the info.

I have kids similar ages and unless you plan to travel and visit Paris another time I would def suck it up and go! Seems like a waste to be so close and not go due to the car ride. Even if you only get to stay half a day. Another poster has done it and I would pick their brain on how they were able to do it and enjoy it. In any case...enjoy your cruise!

Look at the train to Rouen. On the weekends they might have family fares.

Rouen, capital of the northern French region of Normandy, is a port city on the river Seine. Important in the Roman era and Middle Ages, it has Gothic churches, such as Saint-Maclou and Saint-Ouen, and a cobblestoned pedestrian center with medieval half-timbered houses. The skyline is dominated by the spires of Cathédrale Notre-Dame, much-painted by Impressionist Claude Monet.

The Tour Jeanne-d’Arc is the keep of the former Rouen castle, where Joan of Arc was tried for heresy. Place du Vieux-Marché, where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake in 1431, has a commemorative park and the modernist Sainte-Jeanne-d'Arc Church, as well as a produce/fish market. Rue du Gros-Horloge is named for a massive astronomical clock dating to the Renaissance. The Musée des Beaux-Arts displays noted 16th- to 20th-century works, including many Impressionist pieces. Modern developments include the redeveloped Docks 76, now a shopping center in former dockland warehouses.

Hi many thanks I'll take a look

In my view, La Havre for youngsters would be tricky one to sell. It has its charm and is a UNESCO world heritage site, but it is very samey with a lot of post WW2 architecture.The cathedral is very impressive though. As an alternative you may want to consider Honfleur. It is an impressive medieval town and very close by. Paris has always seemed too far away to do in a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi thanks

We just think Paris is close but not close enough to do a 2 hour or so drive with 5 kids

I'd stress too much about getting back to the ship in time . We've looked at the on board tours but just too pricey . Again it's still a long drive. I'll take a look at what you've suggested

Steve

Get a guidebook! Libraries have them! A guidebook is the most useful resource! You could google your port...but it's all over the place...a guidebook is pretty concise and all in one place!

Hi thanks

Yes totally agree . It just didn't conclude if we can walk off the ship and be amongst it all. Some answers on here suggest a shuttle

That's what I needed to know.

We didn't want to get off the ship and find we're stuck

Thanks

Steve

Just returned from Independence of the Seas that stopped at Le Harve.

As others had said Le Harve is an industrial area, you can not walk off the ship and go anywhere. You can purchase shuttle tickets that will take you outside the area, they sell them on the ship.

We hired a private driver to take us to/from Paris. It took two hours to get to Paris with one quick restroom stop. We stopped at all the popular places. The tour guide/driver will customize the tour to your needs or desires. The ride back to the ship was almost 2.5 hours because there was an accident on the road. We weren't worried since we allowed plenty of time for the ride back.

If you are interested let me know and I will send you the info.

Hi thanks

That's ever so helpful confirmation that there's nothing in walking distance

We'll look at getting a shuttle or possibly the ships tours locally

We did lots of long drives and tours on our last cruise and although we saw lots it wasn't relaxing so just doing more local things this time

Many thanks

Steve

I have kids similar ages and unless you plan to travel and visit Paris another time I would def suck it up and go! Seems like a waste to be so close and not go due to the car ride. Even if you only get to stay half a day. Another poster has done it and I would pick their brain on how they were able to do it and enjoy it. In any case...enjoy your cruise!

Hi thanks

If it was just us as a couple we'd probably do Paris

We'll probably just get something local now we know to get a shuttle as nothing is at the port

Cheers

Steve