Carry-on vs checked luggage

hrwi

Hopefully this is a quick question.

We will be flying in, and going carry-on only. That is, we will each have a backpack that fits in the airline specs, as well as a "personal item".

When we get to the port though, what happens to carry on vs checked baggage? If we use this "personal item" for things like sunscreen and bathing suits, can we just check the backpacks and head to the pool? What happens to our checked bags then?

Sorry, first-timer, I'm sure this question is a slam-dunk for you all. Thanks!

Hopefully this is a quick question.

We will be flying in, and going carry-on only. That is, we will each have a backpack that fits in the airline specs, as well as a "personal item".

When we get to the port though, what happens to carry on vs checked baggage? If we use this "personal item" for things like sunscreen and bathing suits, can we just check the backpacks and head to the pool? What happens to our checked bags then?

Sorry, first-timer, I'm sure this question is a slam-dunk for you all. Thanks!

Welcome to CC.

I do the same as you will, traveling with a shoulder bag and a 21" carry on piece of luggage. I always walk mine onto the ship myself, except for Med and Alaska cruises. When I had regular status, my luggage would occupy my seat in the buffet area while I got lunch, then went under the table until I was either ready to walk around the ship or cabins opened. I could just have easily checked my one bag with the porters prior to boarding.

Now, when I wheel my one bag onto the ship, I can go straight to my cabin and unpack.

You can choose which method in my 2nd paragraph works best for you. Carnival does not have a holding station for walked on luggage. Your choice is to eitherbring it with you wherever you go on the ship (for me that wasn't an issue) or check it prior to entering the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise.

Personally, I would not check a backpack for fear of something that small getting lost or crushed under the mountain of suitcases that are loaded into huge bins & put on the ship. If all I had was a backpack and personal item, I would just throw it in a lounge chair by the pool. I'm still trying to figure out how you can pack for a cruise in a backpack. I know I tend to overpack slightly, but I have managed to progress to a medium suitcase instead of a large one.

Thanks for the speedy responses! All of my kids are expected to carry their own luggage so they have learned to pack light. ;) We will probably keep our things with us if it's all the same, then. It's only five days so it won't be tons of stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can pack for a cruise in a backpack. I know I tend to overpack slightly, but I have managed to progress to a medium suitcase instead of a large one.

I packed only a 22" backpack for a 4 day cruise on the Triumph back in February. It was absolutely stuffed. I had enough for a 5 day cruise. I did this because I wanted to see if I could pull it off.

It had two compression packing cubes(one pair of jeans, five tshirts, one pair of yoga pants, underwear, bra, and one pair of socks), medium garment folder(pants, top, and jacket for elegant night), shower shoes, travel size toiletries bag, pill organizer, one pill bottle, 24ct bottle of Aleve, spare contacts, contacts case, contacts solution, two hairbrushes, a mini backpack, my own beach towel, zipper pouch with cash and cruise documents, iPad, iPod Touch, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi games, all of the necessary chargers, a Quirky Port Power extension cord(heavy but compact), pencil, lead, spare eraser, pen, cruise notebook, lanyard, credit card wallet, and my passport.

Once I got off the Greyhound bus, I moved my passport, credit card wallet, cash, and cruise documents to the inside pockets of my lightly puffy jacket. It wasn't cold enough for the jacket, but the inside pockets kept my stuff safe. I walked to the terminal from the Greyhound station.

On the bus back I also had a giant plastic bag because I bought six rum cakes in Cozumel. They put them in a big triangular box.