upgrade bidding

bones774

Just what i was thinking, there could be some exceptions as an OV making a strong bid for a haven and jumping several categories.

No, that cannot happen as OV is not eligible to bid on Suites or Haven. You can only bid a max of two metas.

• 3 weeks later...

I never saw a banner for the upgrade but check your mail icon on your ncl account and see if it is there:)

I asked my ta what it wouldcost to upgrade for 2 to a balcony from ov, and she said $1,000 ! Huh? Really?

I put in a lowball bid for balcony n mini.. but i will be happy if i stay in my ov as well .

Then I take it your TA never books a "guarantee" cabin in any category which requires you to accept the cabin the ship assigns to you.;) And the wording of the "agreement" between the cruiseline and the TA may indicate that the agent receives no extra $$ in commission.....BINGO! This is the reason they do not like the program.

I could understand if it required more work for them, for which they were not compensated. But it appears to me that NCL does everything from start to finish, so why should they care. Currently booked with a TA. My request to participate was placed on MyNCL by NCL and NCL will administer it, and answer any questions I have about it. My TA could not care less.

I'm a TA. The travel agency is paid commission on the upsell pricing, and the commission is exactly the same as a "regular" fare. So financially you would think these companies would welcome the free money.

What I've heard from some TAs who work at companies that don't participate is it had to do with the volume of messages. Each agency gets a message letting them know their client has received the offer. If they are a heavy producer for NCL, then the company could get over-run with pointless notification messages. Also, as another poster indicated, getting phone calls from clients asking about the program, checking in their bid, getting frustrated by the process, etc is apparently not worth the additional revenue to these companies.

Personally, I'm glad I work for a company that does participate.

Many TA's get paid commission on any accepted upgrade offer, so I would work it with/for my client, but I would tell them their offer may not get accepted, they may not like the new cabin location, and they may be at risk for a less than desirable cabin even if it is considered an upgrade. For instance, upgrading from a balcony to a suite that is right under the disco (if there is such a thing) may not be as desirable as the location of the balcony cabin they are in.

Thanks for the insight on how this works with TAs. I can see how it could generate some questions, but they did not get paid a commission just to simply make the booking. I wonder how long they will continue to opt out once most NCL cruisers get savvy enough to take their future bookings to TAs who do participate and they lose a lot of NCL business.

I, originally booked a balcony on the escape for December. I upgraded myself to a mini. I'm hoping to be able to bid on a H5 Penthouse balcony Haven suite. If I don't get it, I'm happy with what I have. There are several Penthouse suites available now, but I know it's still early.

• 5 months later...
I don't think you are considering the overall picture here...

You give an example of cruises where the only availability is in the Haven...so let's go with that.

NCL could upgrade the highest bidders currently in a Mini-Suite to those vacant Haven cabins. This means that there is now availability in Mini-Suites.

So NCL can now award those Mini-Suites to the highest bidders currently in Balcony cabins. This would then create availability in the Balcony category.

Now NCL awards those Balcony cabins to the highest bidders currently in Oceanview cabins...creating vacancies in the Oceanview category.

Finally, NCL can award those Oceanview cabins to the high bidders from Inside rooms.

So...it isn't correct to simply assume that anyone is "out of range" for an upgrade.

Your'e right! I hope they have a good computer system