upgrade bidding

bones774

Im leaving soon on the bway, for all these weeks prior i have not seen the banner ad(NCL.COM) nor been offered any opportunity to upgrade. Are the offers made to all onboard or just certain level cabins and higher? Is there anything i can do to pursue this further? I am working with one of the larger online T/A's, sometimes i think they don't always have customers best interest at heart, just volume delivery.

any tips thanks

This is true. Several of the Online Booking services including the one I booked through which ends in "go", have opted out of the upgrade program and the cruise lines will not offer you the opportunity to upgrade regardless of your signature status.

I contacted their management, but received the apologetic corporate response, "Sorry we are not participating since the program does not comply with our legally conscripted parameters".

Be sure to check with your agent, no matter who you book through, to see if they participate in all applicable benefit programs.

Rich

This is true. Several of the Online Booking services including the one I booked through which ends in "go", have opted out of the upgrade program and the cruise lines will not offer you the opportunity to upgrade regardless of your signature status.

I contacted their management, but received the apologetic corporate response, "Sorry we are not participating since the program does not comply with our legally conscripted parameters".

Be sure to check with your agent, no matter who you book through, to see if they participate in all applicable benefit programs.

Rich

wow, i got same t/a, thats a real bummer. I will not book with them again. What about transferring my reservation to NCL, is that a possibility?

Thanks for quick respones

wow, i got same t/a, thats a real bummer. I will not book with them again. What about transferring my reservation to NCL, is that a possibility?

Thanks for quick respones

Think about it. The agent would have to release back the booking AND forfeit their commission. You can ask, but consider this not an option.

Think about it. The agent would have to release back the booking AND forfeit their commission. You can ask, but consider this not an option.

or put in a little bit of phone work, see what can be done and keep the commission

or put in a little bit of phone work, see what can be done and keep the commission

I'm sure it differs with every cabin on every trip. But right now, the minimum bid -- which is considered a "poor" bid-- for an upgrade from our current cabin is equal to the difference between what we paid and the current price.

If you are interested in upgrading, it might be worth checking the "going" rate for the cabin you want to upgrade to and seeing if you can upgrade by just paying the difference in fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are pretty much resigned to the fact that we will not be able to upgrade because of the online agents policy. We are only a month away from the sailing and do like the mini-suite we have booked. The ship is great as we have sailed the Escape several times already. I had been successful in the past upgrading to the Haven and looked forward to this opportunity again.

I was waiting like many others for the upgrade e-mail when I finally called NCL and they told me that I was not eligible because my purveyor did not participate.

At least I now know to ask the question and not be surprised again.

Rich

In a way, i can see our t/a saying it's for our best interest not to participate and possibly force a change to NCL policy re:this bidding upgrade policy.

I am trying to understand how it is in the "best interest of their customers" not to participate. If offered you don't have to do anything unless YOU want to bid. As far as changing the policy there are many T/A's who are participating so the few probably won't change a thing.

There may be something in the "back room" that we are not aware of such that some TA's have opted out. Different people look at things differently.

As to those that did not get the offer, remember that getting a chance to bid does not mean you will get an upgrade. For example if, they have 800 balcony cabins and a dozen suites, then... well, do the math.

I would think a high percentage of people never win their bid. Just math.

I am trying to understand how it is in the "best interest of their customers" not to participate. If offered you don't have to do anything unless YOU want to bid. As far as changing the policy there are many T/A's who are participating so the few probably won't change a thing.

From what i've been told the one t/a that we are specifically discussing is a huge producer of revenue for the cruise lines and maybe they just don't want the headache of it all or maybe they are trying to make a point, i'm just throwing it out there.

The conversation with the customer care reps revolved around the fact that your credit card was charged immediately upon acceptance of the bid and you had to take the cabin which was assigned regardless of location. Further discussion indicated that the legal department did not like the wording of the agreement between the agent and the cruise line as well, which may indicate that the upgraded fare was not a commissionable event for the agency and therefore not practical if they were not compensated for the booking upgrade.

Rich

My TA is not happy with the new NCL bidding upgrade system. The same offer goes out to all customers even if the cruise is sold out and there is no chance for an upgrade. Many clients call my TA and ask when their bid will be accepted. Many clients are frustrated and there is nothing that he can do about it. He would prefer to instead spend time helping to negotiate an upgrade for a known price and cabin location.

As far as prices go for my upcoming cruise almost every category of suite pricing on the new upgrade system -high low to mid fair range bids put the cabin cost to above the original price. Perhaps a very slight savings over current inflated prices? This may not be the case with all sailings but I suspect that the majority of suite upgrade advantage offers are not a reasonable bargain. Your ta may be able to call NCL and get you a least some extra obc to just outright get the cabin you want. The upgrade advantage system essentially cut out great deals on suites. Perhaps a good deal for those booked an inside or ocean view looking to move to a balcony or mini suite? I certainly wouldn't feel bad about not being able to participate in this new program. Odds a person would get a suite upgrade with a minimum bid are low but in comparison to just booking outright, minimum bid was all they were worth.

There could be a very simple explaination for not seeing the pop-up banner at all, even if the reservation is a DIY and aren't using a T/A - that, the sailing is full and/or practically sold out. Summer time cruises out of NYC to Bermuda (and, to Bahamas) typicall sail at 105% to 110% capacities, up to lifeboat maximum. For next 3 sailings, it's basically sold out except for Haven categories on 2 of them.

If you are currently booked on Insides and even Oceanviews, out of your "range" to even be considered for bidding.

As others commented above & on the other threads about this program, NCL is laughing all the way to the bank ... counting the extra revenue before the passengers step onboard. The frenzy in bidding for those AFT balconies, corner suites & Haven ones are just mad ... "nuts" and you don't even get to choose one (some are okay with it, I know.)

The conversation with the customer care reps revolved around the fact that your credit card was charged immediately upon acceptance of the bid and you had to take the cabin which was assigned regardless of location. Further discussion indicated that the legal department did not like the wording of the agreement between the agent and the cruise line as well, which may indicate that the upgraded fare was not a commissionable event for the agency and therefore not practical if they were not compensated for the booking upgrade.

Rich

Then I take it your TA never books a "guarantee" cabin in any category which requires you to accept the cabin the ship assigns to you.;) And the wording of the "agreement" between the cruiseline and the TA may indicate that the agent receives no extra $$ in commission.....BINGO! This is the reason they do not like the program.

I could understand if it required more work for them, for which they were not compensated. But it appears to me that NCL does everything from start to finish, so why should they care. Currently booked with a TA. My request to participate was placed on MyNCL by NCL and NCL will administer it, and answer any questions I have about it. My TA could not care less.

Incidentally, after getting the upgrade offer for my current cruise, I was all set to place a bid for an Oceanview when I realized that what I had paid at booking for an Inside was now more than the current price for the lower OV categories due to price drops. So instead, I called my TA and explained, and she called NCL, and V'iola, I had a free upgrade to a specific Oceanview cabin.

So do use some common sense when it comes to bidding. Sometimes it IS worth it, sometimes not. The balcony and minisuite prices have not dropped on my cruise, so now, a reasonable bid for one of those could save me quite a bit if I get lucky.

I spoke with my t/a about the NCL upgrade process, he's certainly at the bottom of the food chain with this internet agency.he told me he was totally unaware of the NCL procedures and/or any provisions his agency has against participating. He's "gonna bring it up"

Just as an FYI. I have participated a couple of times in the Upgrade Advantage bidding; however, I noticed that on all of the cruises where I was bidding on higher assignments, the cruise was showing as FULL for those categories. I assume that the cruise line is taking bids on the off chance that someone ends up dropping out at the last minute. That would allow them to get the original customer's fare PLUS a second upgrade amount.

Now I just book the cabin I want (actually, that's what I have always done). And if I ever get the 3 bedroom Garden Villa on the bidding system, it will just be a bonus!

Always be happy with what you book. After all, it is your vacation and hard earned money---why start out dissatisfied? Besides, the object here is to enjoy time with friends (or new friends!), not conspicuous consumption! Priorities!

There could be a very simple explaination for not seeing the pop-up banner at all, even if the reservation is a DIY and aren't using a T/A - that, the sailing is full and/or practically sold out. Summer time cruises out of NYC to Bermuda (and, to Bahamas) typicall sail at 105% to 110% capacities, up to lifeboat maximum. For next 3 sailings, it's basically sold out except for Haven categories on 2 of them.

If you are currently booked on Insides and even Oceanviews, out of your "range" to even be considered for bidding.

As others commented above & on the other threads about this program, NCL is laughing all the way to the bank ... counting the extra revenue before the passengers step onboard. The frenzy in bidding for those AFT balconies, corner suites & Haven ones are just mad ... "nuts" and you don't even get to choose one (some are okay with it, I know.)

I don't think you are considering the overall picture here...

You give an example of cruises where the only availability is in the Haven...so let's go with that.

NCL could upgrade the highest bidders currently in a Mini-Suite to those vacant Haven cabins. This means that there is now availability in Mini-Suites.

So NCL can now award those Mini-Suites to the highest bidders currently in Balcony cabins. This would then create availability in the Balcony category.

Now NCL awards those Balcony cabins to the highest bidders currently in Oceanview cabins...creating vacancies in the Oceanview category.

Finally, NCL can award those Oceanview cabins to the high bidders from Inside rooms.

So...it isn't correct to simply assume that anyone is "out of range" for an upgrade.

I don't think you are considering the overall picture here...

You give an example of cruises where the only availability is in the Haven...so let's go with that.

NCL could upgrade the highest bidders currently in a Mini-Suite to those vacant Haven cabins. This means that there is now availability in Mini-Suites.

So NCL can now award those Mini-Suites to the highest bidders currently in Balcony cabins. This would then create availability in the Balcony category.

Now NCL awards those Balcony cabins to the highest bidders currently in Oceanview cabins...creating vacancies in the Oceanview category.

Finally, NCL can award those Oceanview cabins to the high bidders from Inside rooms.

So...it isn't correct to simply assume that anyone is "out of range" for an upgrade.

Just what i was thinking, there could be some exceptions as an OV making a strong bid for a haven and jumping several categories.