Just off Meraviglia today....any questions (not yacht club)

annamarieheath

Hi there, did you take any pictures of menus or prices for the multi meal package? Or have thoughts on the upcharge restaurants? Also, those of you who didn't like the food, exactly what was the problem? With the thin meats, couldn't you just get some more pieces to increase your portion? Or was it bland/greasy/chewy/cold/not fresh/something else?

Also wondering if you found the ship crowded/full of lines or do people just seem to all congregate by the pool deck, leaving the rest of the ship easy to navigate? Watching some of the videos on Youtube and looking at the hundreds of people by the pool makes me think that it's ultra crowded and not a relaxing cruise as I would've hoped. Also, how was the hygiene situation? Thanks for the info!

My experience of the food was that it was very often lukewarm & on some occasions cold & that it was literally thrown on the plate. There was no finesse on the plate.

No garnish, nothing to make the food look more appetising, especially applicable to the main course.

The menu is literal - if it says prawns, lettuce & dressing then you get just that!

There wasn't a huge choice of meat items in the MDR.

Portion sizes were small & yes you could order extra.

Have a look on my live review thread for MDR menus & pics of the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How did the kids enjoy the food and kids clubs, if they attended? Mine are very fussy eaters but would eat the usual pasta and pizza which I believe it's amazing. did your kids make many friends?

We were on Meravigilia the last week of June. Our 7 year old daughter is also a picky eater. It was tough for us to find her food. She likes plain pasta (this means no butter, oil, etc)...just plain. This could not be accommodated in the MDR. Additionally, the pizza is different for us from USA. Pizza was yummy, but different. But a 7 year old could not differentiate that.

As for the kids club, there were a lot of non-english speaking children. We were on a Med Cruise so that was expected. She didn't enjoy the kids club as much. We spent a lot of time at the water park - that was a fun area. She did meet one friend; another child from US.

At MSC you really have what you paid. They are cheap, but also the Food and the Service are cheap. Thats my Experience.

So we take YC and there the Price and the Service matches much better and you really can enjoy the Cruise.

Well said. I cannot understand why people are comparing MSC food to other cruise lines. We were on the Meragivilia and will be on Seaside in Jan 2018. The food on Meravigilia was not the best we have had on a cruise, but for the price we paid, I cannot complain. We previously cruised a lot on RCCL and Princess. The price difference between MSC and RCCL for Seaside vs. Harmony was over $1000. On Meravigilia we used the $ saved and ate at the specialty restaurants a couple of nights. Butcher's Cut was fabulous!

In the end - MSC new mega ships are simliar to RCCL's. So the price difference is what flipped me to MSC.

I wish people compare apples to apples, and not aplples to oranges. You pay what you get for.

For example, even the cabin interiors are different between the category and experience levels. My mom had an inside Bella cabin. Her cabin did not have the amount of drawer and shelf space as we did in our balcony.

Edited by lifeasme123

Well said. I cannot understand why people are comparing MSC food to other cruise lines. We were on the Meragivilia and will be on Seaside in Jan 2018. The food on Meravigilia was not the best we have had on a cruise, but for the price we paid, I cannot complain. We previously cruised a lot on RCCL and Princess. The price difference between MSC and RCCL for Seaside vs. Harmony was over $1000. On Meravigilia we used the $ saved and ate at the specialty restaurants a couple of nights. Butcher's Cut was fabulous!

That has always been my argument, L.

Having said that, we sailed Celebrity and didn't think the food was any great shakes. I'd certainly be expecting a lot better for the prices they charge because their ships can't hold a candle to the MSC ships (I've seen 2 of them - Silhouette and Millennium).

That has always been my argument, L.

Having said that, we sailed Celebrity and didn't think the food was any great shakes. I'd certainly be expecting a lot better for the prices they charge because their ships can't hold a candle to the MSC ships (I've seen 2 of them - Silhouette and Millennium).

We were on Millie last June for Alaska - HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! And 100% agree with you.

In the end - MSC new mega ships are simliar to RCCL's. So the price difference is what flipped me to MSC.

I wish people compare apples to apples, and not aplples to oranges. You pay what you get for.

For example, even the cabin interiors are different between the category and experience levels. My mom had an inside Bella cabin. Her cabin did not have the amount of drawer and shelf space as we did in our balcony.

We will be sailing on The Seaside in the spring of 2018. Do they have a specialty dining package that can be purchased before sailing. Do they offer the packages like NCL and Royal where you can purchase them from 3-7 nights?

Thanks

We will be sailing on The Seaside in the spring of 2018. Do they have a specialty dining package that can be purchased before sailing. Do they offer the packages like NCL and Royal where you can purchase them from 3-7 nights?

Thanks

FORFAI.jpg

SEAFOOD FEST

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE SEAFOOD FEST! Be prepared to put a bib on! The unforgettable experience in Ocean Cay restaurant offering signature seafood menu: sea bass, crab, clams. oysters and much more ... The package includes food only, a three-courses dinner to choose from the à la carte menu. Some items may be subject to extra charge. Day of booking to be confirmed on board.

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 40.00
$ 40.00
ADD TO CART

FORFAI.jpg

TRIO - THREE DISTINCT DINING EXPERIENCES

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE. Three distinct dining experiences ... OCEAN CAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT, ASIAN MARKET and BUTCHER'S CUT STEAKHOUSE . Ocean Cay is an exclusive venue offering signature seafood menu: sea bass, crab, clams. oysters and much more ... Asian Market Kitchen by Roy Yamaguchi is offering exquisite sushi, sashimi and tempura created by famous Chef Roy Yamaguchi, with much more to... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 69.00
$ 69.00
ADD TO CART

FORFAI.jpg

DISCOVER ROY'S CUISINE!

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE. DISCOVER ROY'S CUISINE! Over three nights in three distinct Asian Market venues, SUSHI, TEPPANYAKI and PAN ASIAN. Roy Yamaguchi is a celebrity Chef originally from Hawaii with Japanese roots, acclaimed in the US and the Pacific region. We are offering a discovery of sushi, pan Asian and teppanyaki dishes with the magical Roy's twist, over three night in three dist... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 65.00
$ 65.00
ADD TO CART

FORFAI.jpg

BUTCHER'S CUT CHEF TABLE

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE BUTCHER'S CUT STEAKHOUSE DINING EXPERIENCE ... Your own Chef ... Your own Sommelier! The head Chef will cook exclusively for your table from the open and show kitchen that you will be facing. A discovery of Butcher's Cut menu is proposed with a family style service (the food is served in the middle of the table for a friendly experience). The Sommelier will be atten... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 75.00
$ 75.00
ADD TO CART

That's why you should buy the "multi-meal dining experience"!!!!

Not really the point does not matter if in the yatch club or bella, standard of food should be overall good with good quality of meat and served hot. You should not have to be forced to spend extra on specialiality restaurants just to get a decent meal.

Not really the point does not matter if in the yatch club or bella, standard of food should be overall good with good quality of meat and served hot. You should not have to be forced to spend extra on specialiality restaurants just to get a decent meal.

Couldnt agree more! For me I am spending enough on the cruise as it is without spending extra on food.

Going with an open mind and hoping to enjoy a mixture of MDR and buffet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

Couldnt agree more! For me I am spending enough on the cruise as it is without spending extra on food.

Going with an open mind and hoping to enjoy a mixture of MDR and buffet.

Then why not spend the extra $$$ on another cruise ship where you like the food or think it's better? Again, I do not understand this argument: I want to pay less but expect to have everything.

Then why not spend the extra $$$ on another cruise ship where you like the food or think it's better? Again, I do not understand this argument: I want to pay less but expect to have everything.

Actually I'm not really sure i understand your argument. I'm paying for a cruise which already includes meals so I would expect it to be of a decent standard that I'm not forced to pay extra. As I said I'm going with an open mind.

Actually I'm not really sure i understand your argument. I'm paying for a cruise which already includes meals so I would expect it to be of a decent standard that I'm not forced to pay extra. As I said I'm going with an open mind.

I'm glad you are going with an open mind We did the same when we went on our first MSC cruise last month on Meravigilia. We did not starve at all on the cruise. Someone on the thread said food is subjective. MDR food was fine, but we liked the specialty dining better.

I'm glad you are going with an open mind We did the same when we went on our first MSC cruise last month on Meravigilia. We did not starve at all on the cruise. Someone on the thread said food is subjective. MDR food was fine, but we liked the specialty dining better.

Yep each to their own I guess.

I certainly won't starve anyway [emoji1]

So you think people who book other than YC are being unrealistic in expecting good food in the MDR?

So you think people who book other than YC are being unrealistic in expecting good food in the MDR?

That is not what I am saying. But what is good food to one is not good food to another. To me the food on Meravigilia was fine, just not something I would write home about.

Some cruisers may be attracted by an itinerary, a newer, larger ship, better accommodations, entertainment, or pricing. That doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to complain if the food is mediocre. That's the beauty of writing reviews: letting people know of the good and the bad.

I'm looking at the Meraviglia for 2018 and an Aurea Duplex Suite (comparable to a Crown Loft Suite on Royal Caribbean's newest ships) is $4,800 for a family of 4. A Crown Loft Suite on Royal is over $16,000 dollars. You can bet that, for that enormous difference in price, I will pick MSC. But I'm thankful for these reviews about the cuisine. That way I can set realistic expectations and even set aside money for specialty restaurants. Even if we pay for every single meal, the MSC cruise will still be thousands and thousands of dollars cheaper than Royal.

Hi Annamarie. Thank you very much for the thread. Just wondering did you have a drinks package and if so which one and how did you find it.

Hi no we didn't buy a drinks package. Although onboard we did buy beer vouchers €59 plus 15% for 14 beers and I bought wine by the bottle on mdr and left it there. A decent house bottle was €18 + service.

FORFAI.jpg

SEAFOOD FEST

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE SEAFOOD FEST! Be prepared to put a bib on! The unforgettable experience in Ocean Cay restaurant offering signature seafood menu: sea bass, crab, clams. oysters and much more ... The package includes food only, a three-courses dinner to choose from the à la carte menu. Some items may be subject to extra charge. Day of booking to be confirmed on board.

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 40.00
$ 40.00

ADD TO CART

FORFAI.jpg

TRIO - THREE DISTINCT DINING EXPERIENCES

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE. Three distinct dining experiences ... OCEAN CAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT, ASIAN MARKET and BUTCHER'S CUT STEAKHOUSE . Ocean Cay is an exclusive venue offering signature seafood menu: sea bass, crab, clams. oysters and much more ... Asian Market Kitchen by Roy Yamaguchi is offering exquisite sushi, sashimi and tempura created by famous Chef Roy Yamaguchi, with much more to... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 69.00
$ 69.00

ADD TO CART

FORFAI.jpg

DISCOVER ROY'S CUISINE!

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE. DISCOVER ROY'S CUISINE! Over three nights in three distinct Asian Market venues, SUSHI, TEPPANYAKI and PAN ASIAN. Roy Yamaguchi is a celebrity Chef originally from Hawaii with Japanese roots, acclaimed in the US and the Pacific region. We are offering a discovery of sushi, pan Asian and teppanyaki dishes with the magical Roy's twist, over three night in three dist... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 65.00
$ 65.00

ADD TO CART

FORFAI.jpg

BUTCHER'S CUT CHEF TABLE

SEASIDE DINING EXPERIENCE BUTCHER'S CUT STEAKHOUSE DINING EXPERIENCE ... Your own Chef ... Your own Sommelier! The head Chef will cook exclusively for your table from the open and show kitchen that you will be facing. A discovery of Butcher's Cut menu is proposed with a family style service (the food is served in the middle of the table for a friendly experience). The Sommelier will be atten... More Details

Price per person:

Adults

Children

$ 75.00
$ 75.00

ADD TO CART

Is it possible to do an additional night at the Butchers Cut?

Thanks