Just off Meraviglia today....any questions (not yacht club)

annamarieheath

How was the food in the MDR? Did you get the internet package? Did you get any laundry done?

Hi. we didn't enjoy the food in the mdr ( first time on msc) the fresh vegetables were nice but in my opinion there was a lack of meat options and when meat was on the menu it was poor quality. I can only compare to experiences on royal Caribbean and it was nowhere near and in fact very disappointing. The lack of a meat option continued in the buffet. I'm sure the butchers cut would be good but we didn't get table there. They had a rotisserie section but it was either thin slices of meat cooked in sauce or processed reformed meat. A rotisserie should be when meat is skewerd and spit roasted but we never saw that.

We are from U.K. And so our data included in our home mobile was free to use in port (6 out of 7 days) we did speak to a lady who had paid £20 for social media internet and she was impressed.

We didn't use the laundry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I'm preparing to be disappointed with the food, and I'm gonna get a SIM in Amsterdam (or at Aldi in Germany) so I'll be able to roam free in Norway, I might just leave it at that. I hope you enjoyed your cruise overall!

Well if u prepare u might be pleasantly surprised!! It really was just the meat...the desserts are amazing. Best ever and lots of choice! The ship is beautiful...stunning!! You will love it. Cirque du soleil is a must! We saw viaggo. Amazing! Had a fab time x

Well if u prepare u might be pleasantly surprised!! It really was just the meat...the desserts are amazing. Best ever and lots of choice! The ship is beautiful...stunning!! You will love it. Cirque du soleil is a must! We saw viaggo. Amazing! Had a fab time x

Actually I'm glad you mentioned Viaggo, there's a three night specialty restaurant package that includes Eataly, Butchers Cut and dinner and a show at Viaggo. Since the show was good and from what I've read those other two restaurants are good I'll probably go ahead and book that.

Thank you. I'm preparing to be disappointed with the food, and I'm gonna get a SIM in Amsterdam (or at Aldi in Germany) so I'll be able to roam free in Norway, I might just leave it at that. I hope you enjoyed your cruise overall!

I'm almost 100% sure that you can do it but have you checked that you can room for free in Norway if you buy a card in Germany or in the Netherlands? Since Norway isn't a part of the European Union you may not but probably. Just remember to check if you haven't done it already.

I'm almost 100% sure that you can do it but have you checked that you can room for free in Norway if you buy a card in Germany or in the Netherlands? Since Norway isn't a part of the European Union you may not but probably. Just remember to check if you haven't done it already.

Yes, I researched it extensively. Thank you for bringing up the concern though.

Actually I'm glad you mentioned Viaggo, there's a three night specialty restaurant package that includes Eataly, Butchers Cut and dinner and a show at Viaggo. Since the show was good and from what I've read those other two restaurants are good I'll probably go ahead and book that.

Sounds perfect. Enjoy x

Any interesting shore excursion?

We didn't do any of the excursions...we visited the movie museum in genoa (which our 4&5 year old boys loved) it was quite small and seemed to be a large personal collection of movie artefacts. Not very cultural I know but our kids were happy.

Then the city of Valletta we walked to the Barakka Lift which was a fantastic fun way of getting up to the heart of the old city. Views were amazing and the city itself was simply stunning -we walked around and took on some of the historic buildings. 1ca45abf47b3607ada8b97eabe987b01.jpg0d258ee1b0e840085293667f1ccb5c7c.jpg

Thank you for your review - it's great to hear from someone who wasn't in the Yacht Club!

Pity about the meat situation - that must have been disappointing.

Ship sounds great in other respects. Might try it if it was a good deal.

We didn't do any of the excursions...we visited the movie museum in genoa (which our 4&5 year old boys loved) it was quite small and seemed to be a large personal collection of movie artefacts. Not very cultural I know but our kids were happy.

Then the city of Valletta we walked to the Barakka Lift which was a fantastic fun way of getting up to the heart of the old city. Views were amazing and the city itself was simply stunning -we walked around and took on some of the historic buildings. 1ca45abf47b3607ada8b97eabe987b01.jpg0d258ee1b0e840085293667f1ccb5c7c.jpg

Looks like you were on an excursion, just on your own! The photos shows the very nice place you visited. Thanks for the response.

How did the kids enjoy the food and kids clubs, if they attended? Mine are very fussy eaters but would eat the usual pasta and pizza which I believe it's amazing. did your kids make many friends?

This looks fab,my kids would love it too.thanks for sharing

How did the kids enjoy the food and kids clubs, if they attended? Mine are very fussy eaters but would eat the usual pasta and pizza which I believe it's amazing. did your kids make many friends?

The boys ate like kings. There was a different kids menu every night on the mdr and they enjoyed risotto pasta burgers pizza -all very good. Every night on kids menu is pizza and pasta along with different choices. Noting was a problem and they accommodated the boys well. They also ate the lasagne off the adult menu and really enjoyed it. One of mine is sooooo fussy and we were pleased with the choices for him. They also ate far too many fries and a tonne of melon to counter balance.

In terms of kids club, it looked amazing, the facilities are incredible...but my boys did not want to go. No amount of bribery would do it, because they said they didn't know anyone. Last year we couldn't get my eldest out-but we all signed up on day one so he met Judson the club as we signed up on royal Carribean whereas here we just went to the club on signed up at the desk with no interaction with others. I also feel that the different languages could have been a barrier. We managed to get them on to the movie afternoon twice (1pm-3pm) but that was it.

Not sure how old your kids are but have took a snap of the weekly plan for ours -the age 3-6 mini club. 54df54fb0bd684be5361b27729ef4669.jpg

I think the Food is subjective, but when we see the Food at the Marketplace Buffet and in the Yachtclub there was a big difference! We have some really good Steaks in the YC Restaurant and also at the Buffet there was always fresh Pasta and Fish and Steaks they made a la minute. This was really good.

One Day we eat a Burger from the Buffet, it was not good the Meat was really poor. The next Day we are trying a Burger in the YC Restaurant and he was much better.

Also our Menus looks different then in the MDR.

The Teppanyaki was also really good.

At MSC you really have what you paid. They are cheap, but also the Food and the Service are cheap. Thats my Experience.

So we take YC and there the Price and the Service matches much better and you really can enjoy the Cruise.

I think the Food is subjective, but when we see the Food at the Marketplace Buffet and in the Yachtclub there was a big difference! We have some really good Steaks in the YC Restaurant and also at the Buffet there was always fresh Pasta and Fish and Steaks they made a la minute. This was really good.

One Day we eat a Burger from the Buffet, it was not good the Meat was really poor. The next Day we are trying a Burger in the YC Restaurant and he was much better.

At MSC you really have what you paid. They are cheap, but also the Food and the Service are cheap. Thats my Experience.

So we take YC and there the Price and the Service matches much better and you really can enjoy the Cruise.

Totally agree with all your points Nikita.

Thank you for your review.

I totally agree with you as regards food in the MDR. We also found it very disappointing. And you're right about the lack of meat options. There really wasn't a lot on the menu with actual meat! That said the beef we had when it was on the menu was good although lukewarm!

Totally agree about the desserts - whoever does them is a pastry genius because they looked & tasted fabulous all cruise!

Thanks for telling those of us who cant afford YC just how superior it is to our Bella experience.

Hi there, did you take any pictures of menus or prices for the multi meal package? Or have thoughts on the upcharge restaurants? Also, those of you who didn't like the food, exactly what was the problem? With the thin meats, couldn't you just get some more pieces to increase your portion? Or was it bland/greasy/chewy/cold/not fresh/something else?

Also wondering if you found the ship crowded/full of lines or do people just seem to all congregate by the pool deck, leaving the rest of the ship easy to navigate? Watching some of the videos on Youtube and looking at the hundreds of people by the pool makes me think that it's ultra crowded and not a relaxing cruise as I would've hoped. Also, how was the hygiene situation? Thanks for the info!

Edited by fuzzy12

Hi. No pics of menu on afraid. The meals I can remember;

Pork loin -thin tasteless didn't want more

Mousakka- cold

Sirloin steak-more connective tissue and veins than meat-yuk

Fillet steak (gala dinner on sea day) -nice -cooked by a different chef!

The ship didn't feel crowded at all in comparison with others. Very well laid out so queues never a problem even at popular times. Plenty of pools and space on sea day-we spent in bamboo which was a very calm place, even with my children and lots of others.

I didn't like the sinks on entry to mdr to wash your hands as nobody ever did and it was not policed. I saw people use their fingers to take food rather than utensils. Some of the toilets had a bit of tissue and a speck of dirt on the floor on occasion --and whilst not unusual in a public toilet on a ship I've never seen this.