Drink package question

Cruising for the first time and I picked the ships excursions because I was worried about being late back to ship. Is that really something I need to worry about? Alaskan cruise if that makes any difference.

This was not a big consideration for us, even in Alaska. Whether you book through the cruise line or on your own is a personal choice, but I always do some comparison shopping and check reviews here to decide.

There are very few excursions that you can't find separately Alaska. One is the small boat trip that gets you close up to the glaciers, it leaves and returns on the water from Jewel. Otherwise in Alaska we were able to walk off the ship and find a lot to do right in the ports. For big tours like a seaplane ride for bear watching there were a lot of different options with NCL and elsewhere, and I looked around until I found the features we wanted.

Sorry, DSC? All these people that are living, eating, sleeping, breathing cruising! I'm not used to the abbreviations and jargon....yet!

The DSC is the charge that is added each day to your bill. I always use the abbreviation because I'm not sure (and neither do I care) whether the D stands for daily or discretionary.

If I take a stab at it then it's pretty well guaranteed that someone will come along to tell me I'm wrong and then the thread will be taken over by the argument that follows.

. I always use the abbreviation because I'm not sure (and neither do I care) whether the D stands for daily or discretionary.

I do the same.

The industry uses so many different terms for the same thing but as long as everyone understands what it is, it's all good.

Gratuity, service charge, tips, "daily Hotel Service Charge" (MSC ;p),....it's that thing that people are charged per person per day.

It is different than the 18% "gratuities & specialty/beverage service charge" on the SDP/UBP and other purchases like bottled water packages.

I was originally thinking that the UBP wasn't a good deal as we aren't big drinkers, but then I remember spending $130 to $150 on last few cruises as wife wanted a wine package at MDR (5 bottles.) Then if we each had a drink or two every day, we would be ahead. I generally get two cokes a day, when at sea. So, all that adds up to making the UBP a good perk.

I've also avoided the piano bars on ships, as I don't want to spend the money on drink and felt it was expected, but now I can enjoy it on my birthday cruise this Dec. :D

John

We all have our own preferences, priorities, and habits. For us, spending $99 each on unlimited booze and $12 +/- on upgraded dining for a week saves us hundreds. This, to us, is almost a $1000 cheaper cruise than it would have been without these perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just go to the concierge desk, say that you want to tip as and when you feel it's warranted and in person, and ask for it to be taken off your bill (by end of day 2 if poss) ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the Daily Service Charge, since you're from the UK you can do that if you wish. But besides the fact the OP is talking about beverage service gratuities, not the Daily ones, the OP is evidently from the US (since charge is $$) so cannot get the DSC removed from the bill. Folks from US would be given a form to fill out to email AFTER the cruise, to ask for a refund of the Daily Service Charges.

For the Daily Service Charge, since you're from the UK you can do that if you wish. But besides the fact the OP is talking about beverage service gratuities, not the Daily ones, the OP is evidently from the US (since charge is $$) so cannot get the DSC removed from the bill. Folks from US would be given a form to fill out to email AFTER the cruise, to ask for a refund of the Daily Service Charges.

That was not my experience on the Gem this past December. They refunded the DSC right on the ship.

Thank you.

That was not my experience on the Gem this past December. They refunded the DSC right on the ship.

I think it would be unfair, to not let anyone from the US (treating them differently) claim back their gratuities on board, just like any other traveller. Be it U.K., or anywhere else. We all pay in dollars anyhow. More and more people are getting wise to claiming them back, and why not too?!

Maybe this is why all April 2018 cruises going forward, or indeed, future cruises are based on the new deal of NCL's Premium all Inclusive bookings.

1b2ccd4c29c899bcaa7069fd92b7358c.jpg

Please check out the ports board on cruise critic for each of your ports. There you will find good advice on non cruise excursions. Ones that have been used many times by others. They make sure you are back to your ship on time. We did not use any ship excursions on our Alaskan cruise and loved every one. As for paying $100 each for drink tips -- that is less than the cost of 2 alcoholic drinks per person per day. After checking out the ports board if you still feel uncomfortable using a non ship excursion, than maybe the $50 port excursion is right for you.

Also a consideration is how high the cost of drinks are on the ship. The gratuities come out to approx $14 pp pd. If you plan on having 1 glass of wine at dinner and 1 soda a day - you will hit $14. If you would have 2 glasses of wine you will easily exceed it. Yes, it's a hard chunk to swallow if you aren't big drinkers but it does add a bit of freedom to your cruise. When we pay for drinks as we go I stick to the free drinks at meal time (which aren't my preferred drinks) and carry around a large refillable mug all day. With the UBP, by day 2 I gave up carrying my mug around. I am a soda drinker and it was far easier just to stop by a bar and grab a cup of water or soda when I wanted one. And while I did t feel like I HAD to drink more because I had it, I also didn't have to count my spending on board so I did drink a bit more than I usually would.

And yes. A 7 night cruise still counts as 7 days towards the UBP. On embarkation day you r on board by 2 at the latest - many board by 11-12. Plenty of time that day to take advantage of the UBP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it would be unfair, to not let anyone from the US (treating them differently) claim back their gratuities on board, just like any other traveller. Be it U.K., or anywhere else. We all pay in dollars anyhow. More and more people are getting wise to claiming them back, and why not too?!

Maybe this is why all April 2018 cruises going forward, or indeed, future cruises are based on the new deal of NCL's Premium all Inclusive bookings.

1b2ccd4c29c899bcaa7069fd92b7358c.jpg

It has nothing to do with being fair. The laws are different in the UK. As far as the all inclusive, I think that pertains to drinks. I think they still charge the DSC. Someone else can confirm.

I also didn't have to count my spending on board so I did drink a bit more than I usually would.

Yep this is the reason I'm changing my mind. I don't want to have to think about an end of cruise bill when I want a soda or DH wants a drink. If someone offers him a drink he will take it, forgetting that we have to pay in the end.:')

I understand the OP's point because there are other cruise lines that give you the free drink package for free. In other words, they pick up the service charge and your cost is truly zero. However, there's not much you can do. If you want to drink on NCL, your choice is to pay as you go, or pay $14.39 per person per day in service.

I understand the OP's point because there are other cruise lines that give you the free drink package for free. In other words, they pick up the service charge and your cost is truly zero. However, there's not much you can do. If you want to drink on NCL, your choice is to pay as you go, or pay $14.39 per person per day in service.

Yes but you have to consider the the end price of the cruise. Any time I have priced NCL with the "free" beverage package to a similar cruise on a different line, NCL has always either been cheaper or quite competitive.

It has nothing to do with being fair. The laws are different in the UK. As far as the all inclusive, I think that pertains to drinks. I think they still charge the DSC. Someone else can confirm.

No, the DSC is no longer an issue for U.K. Cruises booked since it was introduced.

Of course, what that actually means is that UK fares have been increased to cover the DSC (plus a bit for luck) and those people who used to remove it from their bill can't now do that.

No, the DSC is no longer an issue for U.K. Cruises booked since it was introduced.

Of course, what that actually means is that UK fares have been increased to cover the DSC (plus a bit for luck) and those people who used to remove it from their bill can't now do that.

Yes I know. I was saying the laws are different in the UK, that's why they do the DSC differently than the US.

Yes I know. I was saying the laws are different in the UK, that's why they do the DSC differently than the US.

I was answering where you said that you think they still charge us the DSC under all inclusive. They don't.

I was answering where you said that you think they still charge us the DSC under all inclusive. They don't.

Ah understood. I'm from the US so speaking from that point of view. The "all inclusives" like the sky are all inclusive beverages but I'm pretty sure they still charge the DSC.

Yes but you have to consider the the end price of the cruise. Any time I have priced NCL with the "free" beverage package to a similar cruise on a different line, NCL has always either been cheaper or quite competitive.

Exactly! Anyone who thinks they are getting a drink package for "free" on any line, regardless of whether it is an itemized line on an invoice or not, doesn't understand how business works.

Exactly! Anyone who thinks they are getting a drink package for "free" on any line, regardless of whether it is an itemized line on an invoice or not, doesn't understand how business works.

Well, it's free in the sense that we are not paying the $79x7x2x18%. And I certainly feel like I get a bargain. But you are 100% correct. NCL is gonna make their money some how. If it's not on charging for beverages then it's somewhere else.

Well. That's like saying the food in the MDR is 'free' also. It's all simply included in your fare. But taking out the gratuity charge. When I don't want to book a guarantee because I was to pick my room - and I don't qualify for a non-perk rate discount. It amounts to being free because I'm stuck paying the same amount whether I accept a perk or not.

Under some of the old fare pricing structure, my fare supplemented people who get 3rd and 4th sail free - since I never have more than 2 in a room. So if the new fares add in supplementing the lost alcohol revenue - which is something I do use; it all balances out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums