Smell in the back of the ship.

cperk97

I have read that some people have noticed a odor on the back of the ship. We will be sailing The Magic. Have you had this experience? Is this smell while only in port or while at sea too? Only in the halls or the cabins too? Thank you.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Forums mobile app

Anywhere aft of the funnel can have odors when you are outside.

Odors in the cabin and usually due to plumbing. You can lessen the odor if you turn on your shower, then let water run in the sink, then pour several glasses of water down the floor drain.

Sometimes the P-trap gets empty and lets gasses come up. It often happens if you've been in rough seas.

I also take a small can of Ozium, just one really small spritz will take care of the odor.

It wasn't in the cabin but in the halls and paino bar.

Yep. A couple of years ago when we sailed on the Breeze we smelled it quite often on that ship. However, when we came back from that trip and reported it on these boards we were blasted by many, many Breeze loving folks who tried to tell us that we were lying.

We've gotta a few small, occasional whiffs on other ships but that ship was reeking (sp?).

Don't know about the Magic since we haven't sailed her yet but we do have our cruise next year booked on her so please report back your experience when you return ok?

Happy sailings!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "sewer" smell can happen anywhere on a ship, on ANY ship at any time. Ship's plumbing isn't like land based.....and unfortunately, it can happen. Just because someone reports it in "such and such" cabin (or area), doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow, or next week.

It is also possible a toilet overflowed somewhere nearby causing a smell. That happened in our cabin on the cruise prior to my cruise once, and the smell was still apparent at the beginning of our cruise even though the cabin appeared very clean. We complained the first day, and by the time we got back to our cabin that evening, they had cleaned the carpets and had air movers drying the carpet. It was much improved. Moving was not a good option because we were booked in a suite.

I think the bottom line is sometimes things happen on a ship. Some passengers abuse the plumbing system. As okgirl mentioned, rough seas can play a role. It could be any number of things. I've found Carnival to be very responsive if there has been a problem affecting my cruise. It's part of cruising, and if you want a more perfect experience, you may prefer a land-based vacation, because things can happen on any part of a ship.

Winddawn, I appreciate your experience. This will be our 6th cruise, husband is a Navy Vet with much more sailing experience than I. As most people, we look forward to a wonderful cruise vacation. And when things aren't "perfect" we address it and then roll with it. I was not looking for a lecture on what type of vacation might suit me. Cruising suits me. Smelling sewer does not. I have never experience any odor on any of the 5 prior ships we have been on except diesel exhaust. Which I have grown to love, since the only time I smell it is on a ship. I'm just inquiring as to where and when people are experiencing the orders.

Yep. A couple of years ago when we sailed on the Breeze we smelled it quite often on that ship. However, when we came back from that trip and reported it on these boards we were blasted by many, many Breeze loving folks who tried to tell us that we were lying.

We've gotta a few small, occasional whiffs on other ships but that ship was reeking (sp?).

Don't know about the Magic since we haven't sailed her yet but we do have our cruise next year booked on her so please report back your experience when you return ok?

Happy sailings!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't sail until April of next year so I may not be able to assist you. Sorry.

On one of my earlier cruises... either Breeze or Liberty, DW and I were walking down a corridor and noticed a "sewery" smell, as well as wet carpet. My guess is there was a leak in the pipes nearby. We reported it, and they presumably fixed the leak and put out fans to dry the wetness. I assume they cleaned up any... smelling agents... from the wetness.

Today, I do work-management for facilities maintenance at a major university and see these things happen all the time, and get fixed, so I don't think too much about it. If you have 5000-6000 people housed in a building/ship/etc, things will happen, and people will fix them. Since everything is contained in the ship, and there is no sewer leading away to "somewhere else," issues like this just become a bit more... noticeable. Wear shoes and wash your hands before you eat ;)