Good ideas for Athens post cruise?

Moxiefurball

so we are on princess next June from Rome to Athens , staying in Athens 2 nights post cruise . Anyone know approx what time we would get off ship and head to our hotel? And any good ideas how to spend the rest of day , since we want to day the Acropolis and Sojourn tour the next day after being a bit rested .

There is a 4 hr food walking tour that sounds great through Viator that might be a way to spend time until hotel lets us officially check into room. I'm assuming they would hold our bags while we tour

I would say that all ships arrive at their final ports very early to be able to turn it around for the next lot of SLC (Self-Loading Cargo = passengers).

Then the local authorities need to do their bit to clear the ship and after that passenger disembarkation will begin. Guessing that won't be much before 7 a.m.

Have a relatively relaxing last breakfast and try to get off around 9 am.

Get yourself into town.

Perhaps pre-book a taxi, but there will be dozens waiting with more and more coming to get people away. Cost to the city should be around 25 Euros, pre booked or not.

Any hotel will hold your luggage if your room isn't ready. In my experience, the hotels are pretty good to let you in your room early if there is an available one. It's no skin off their nose and is a cheap tool to make guests happy.

Perhaps get yourself on the next available HoHo bus?! All companies have 2 day passes that cost only a little bit more than a one day pass.

Get on a city loop and stay on board for a full circle to where you started the tour. That should kill 90 minutes to 2 hours. There are also HoHo routes (included in the same pass) that will take you to the beaches.

A good walking tour might be more fun in the evening? Not that you will need any help finding something to eat in Athens..... it will be more the case of beating off waiters with a stick, when they are trying to get you into their places

We docked at about 5:00am, not sure as I was asleep. Got up had a nice breakfast and left the ship abou 8:30. No traffic on Saturday AM so made it to hotel by nine. After checking in at hotel and dropping off our luggage we were at the Acropolis before 10:00 which gave us plenty of time to tour it and the Agora. That gave us lots of time in the PM and the whole next day to do other things. You will have been cruising first so your clock is already adjusted internally.

We are arriving in Athens after Oceania cruise ends on July 12. We were also interested in doing the food tour the first morning, but seems like it would be a bit rushed. By the time we get off ship, head to the hotel, drop bags, and get back to the meeting site (I think it said in front of the Acropolis metro station at 9:30am) I think it would be a bit much. We are staying at the Grand Bretagne (after much dithering about the cost on my part) so exploring the hotel, the area around Syntagma Square or heading off to the Acropolis are better ideas. We're also thinking of a Segway tour (we love those!) as a great way to be introduced to the city, and we can arrange for a time that meets our needs. Food tour the next day, and hopefully a delicious brunch at the rooftop hotel before we head to the airport that day. Thinking of spending a few extra dollars, the Bretagne will send a car for us for 35Euros, might be worth it instead of lining up for a taxi.

We plan on a day in athens following a cruise. We have the same plan we had in Vancouver a few years ago:

We hired a driver to pick us up at the port. He then spent 9 hours showing us the city ( with our luggage in the trunk). After a day of touring, he dropped us at a hotel at the airport so we could fly home the next morning.

This is a very efficient way to make the most out of one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much did that cost? It's an interesting idea.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

Our day in vancouver cost about $850 for the nine of us. Our driver had an extended van. So it ended up being less than $100 per person. In Athens we will have either 4 or 6 and I expect it to cost about $400 or so for the day ( we are not going until next year). So you split that either 4 or 6 ways and it is quite economical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums