Nextel Subscribers Help Please

PACURN

I'm leaving next week for my cruise and I have read on the board that the Nextel walkie talkies can be used if I call and ask for the service. The question is What do I ask for. I have heard "out of network service". I called Nextel and the gave me International Walkie Talkie Service. I'm not so sure that is correct. I already have nationwide walkie talkie service but it doesn't work when I don't have service. Anyone out that know what I need please help. Thanks

Debbie

I have a Nextel. I can think of nothing more annoying than the Nextel "chirp" on a Cruise.

If you are looking for walkie-talkies there are tons available. However they are just as bad as Nextels.

Sorry. I hate to sound negative. They both have a very valuable service, especially to families, I hope you are considerate to the other people on the Cruise with you.

Again. Apologies. But to me it ranks up there with babies in diapers in the pool.

I have a Nextel. I can think of nothing more annoying than the Nextel "chirp" on a Cruise.

If you are looking for walkie-talkies there are tons available. However they are just as bad as Nextels.

Sorry. I hate to sound negative. They both have a very valuable service, especially to families, I hope you are considerate to the other people on the Cruise with you.

Again. Apologies. But to me it ranks up there with babies in diapers in the pool.

Babies in diapers in a pool??????

Babies in diapers in a pool??????

I think the poster means "as in things not to do"... difference is, while the Nextel would bug the crap out of me, and I would think it rude to use one in public areas... the non-potty trained/diapered kids in the pool thing is a health issue, and against the rules... so that one actually ranks up higher to me... ick.

OP, I never got the international plan... my Nextel worked for about an hour after we left Tampa. Then I put it up, for the remainder of the cruise... I eventually got so tired of hearing my OWN chirp, I ditched the Nextel :D

I knew this thread would cause heated debate. The reason I want it is to keep tabs on the kids. I used walkie talkies last time and it worked fine but I figured since I have the phones why not use them. I'm not an obnoxious user I just like to be able to find them if need be.

I used to be a baby in a diaper ;)

I wanted to activate mine for text messaging on our Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Miami & they said I wouldn't be happy because it would only get service in limited areas. Nextel was also unable to tell me exactly how much it would cost for each use.

We used it at Disney World, and loved it, but I'm glad the service conks out on the ship, even in the "foreign" American ports.

The virgin newbies can never find the diaper threads, as they are always pulled eventually! :eek:

I'm leaving next week for my cruise and I have read on the board that the Nextel walkie talkies can be used if I call and ask for the service. The question is What do I ask for. I have heard "out of network service". I called Nextel and the gave me International Walkie Talkie Service. I'm not so sure that is correct. I already have nationwide walkie talkie service but it doesn't work when I don't have service. Anyone out that know what I need please help. Thanks

Debbie

You are talking about Direct Talk. It is off network service. But your phone model must be able to download the app from Nextel to be able to use it. Only newer models have the capability. The i315, i325, i850, i560, i870, i355, i760 I know will work. You'll have to check with Nextel for any other models with this capability. We have it on our Southern Linc phones (same as Nextel, different company) in our business and it works great when you are out of coverage area. I think the download app is like $20 apiece. But it only has about a 6 mile range though, it's not nationwide like you have when you are on network. Hope this helps.

You people do realize they make waterproof swimming diapers, for kids, don't you.

Off topic - Unless these "waterproof diapers" are hermetically sealed against the baby's skin, I don't see how pool water cannot somehow seep in & then back out of a baby's diaper while they are in a pool. :eek: Eeeyyeeww!

Besides, ship pools are usually SEA water, aren't they? Which means NO chlorine (not that chlorine is supposed to handle what ends up in a diaper, anyway! Chlorine is intended for controlling algae & that sort of thing, isn't it?)

Back to topic - if you can control the "chirp" volume on the Nextel, I suppose it would be the same as a regular walkie talkie & therefore, not too disruptive to fellow passengers. (After all, I think you can rent walkie talkies on ships for this purpose.) But I can't tell you how annoying it is to be sitting in a restaurant or in a store on land & have someone on their Nextel "chirping" loudly, less than 10 ft away - I wouldn't like to hear it on a ship.

You are talking about Direct Talk. It is off network service. But your phone model must be able to download the app from Nextel to be able to use it. Only newer models have the capability. The i315, i325, i850, i560, i870, i355, i760 I know will work. You'll have to check with Nextel for any other models with this capability. We have it on our Southern Linc phones (same as Nextel, different company) in our business and it works great when you are out of coverage area. I think the download app is like $20 apiece. But it only has about a 6 mile range though, it's not nationwide like you have when you are on network. Hope this helps.

We have nextels... and got special phones jsut for this service. downloaded all the crap-- and guess what-- it didnt work-- as soon as we left tampa--it was gone and didnt come back til we were back in tampa. What a waste.

Walkie talkies are the way to go-- or better yet-- phones have voice mail.

You can control the volume on the chirp- you can also have it where no one hears the other side of the conversation (sadly--most dont use use) and walkie talkies are ok if used with other people inmind- i hated it when a group of teens where so busy chatting with their friends while we were sitting trying towatch the show NOW that was annoying

Thanks Thats what I need. I have a i760 so it should work. I'll check it out. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived