GC88 Stingray City & Reef Snorkel

Agree with Bob, every snorkel excursion we have been on in over 30 cruises have had snorkels/masks/fins/vests provided. For some reason, the GC88 does mention you can bring your own (and for that matter a wet suit) but they would go out of business if they took people out and didn't have equipment for their customers. By the way, the GC13 excursion boat is the easiest we have ever seen to get on and off.

All snorkeling excursions sold through any ship will provide vests - part of the contract with the cruise line, and most operators will require that you use one. They have never objected to us using our own, although when there are several boats out there it is easier for them to look for a specific type of vest. Our vests are unique colors and makes it easy to find each other.

We always bring our own masks, snorkels and vests but those provided in Grand Cayman are fine to use. We don't normally bring our fins due to weight. We prefer our own gear but the only gross equipment we have seen was on a Cozumel ship tour. Grey/green blotches of deteriorating silicone.

You will get fins for the snorkeling part, but won't be allowed to use them where the rays are - you stand in chest deep water and they don't want you swimming over the rays. And the guides do love to drop a 4' diameter ray on an unsuspecting back. Makes for great pictures. Fun critters - kind of like big rubbery kittens with a vacuum cleaner for a mouth.

We have also had one trip where the island authorities closed the sandbar. Low visibility and waves would make it unsafe for visitors.

• 2 months later...

We are also interested in GC88 and I called Royal Caribbean today when I noticed the same verbiage as OP, which says under "things to bring" : masks and fins.

The first rep I spoke with just read the description ( because why would I think to do that?) and I asked to speak to someone who dealt with excursions . I was transferred to Jamie, who made several calls.He at first came back to me and said he has talked to the vendor and the listing was correct; that masks and fins were not provided. I expressed that that was disappointing, since this tour cost $80 pp plus now I would have to prove equipment for my entire family as well. He made another call and then said all the equipment would be provided. I asked that the shore excursions brochure be updated to reflect this. Even though he assured me the equipment would be provided, I think I am going to book stingray and a reef snorkel with an outside provider, just to be sure.

A few years back we did Stingray City with an outside provider who included all the equipment we needed as well as lunch. The boat accommodated about 15 or 20 of us and the crew was great. Loved the much more "personalized" feeling rather than the many dozens of folks from the cruise ships as well as the p/p price. A lot of fun, the rays were surprisingly gentle, and we got lots of great pictures.

I'm sorry I don't remember who we used but with some some research I'm sure you can find a provider.

Cancel it and book it instead through an independent company (check TripAdvisor for referrals). The ship excursion will be PACKED with tons of people! Go with your own company and it will be a much nicer, more peaceful, and cheaper experience!

Agreed!