New dock in Juneau

SJSULIBRARIAN

I just returned from a Seward to Vancouver cruise on Celebrity's Millenium and we were very fortunate to be at the new dock in Juneau that many of us watched being built last winter.

This dock which on the Celebrity Map was called the AJ dock - (Copper 10-8 can correct me if that is wrong) is absolutely wonderful and beautiful. Juneau did a magnificent job building it and I told the local security man that - he seemed surprised I knew that it was new but I told him I had watched it being built on the Juneau web cam.

I apologize if this has been discussed on the HAL ships in Juneau threads this year. I have not been following those threads due to computer issues and my virus software which seems to prohibit me from going there,

I just returned from a Seward to Vancouver cruise on Celebrity's Millenium and we were very fortunate to be at the new dock in Juneau that many of us watched being built last winter.

This dock which on the Celebrity Map was called the AJ dock - (Copper 10-8 can correct me if that is wrong) is absolutely wonderful and beautiful. Juneau did a magnificent job building it and I told the local security man that - he seemed surprised I knew that it was new but I told him I had watched it being built on the Juneau web cam.

I apologize if this has been discussed on the HAL ships in Juneau threads this year. I have not been following those threads due to computer issues and my virus software which seems to prohibit me from going there,

Hi Ma'am; the most recent upgrade in Juneau was done at the Alaska Steamship or AS dock 😀

Edited by Copper10-8

AJ is the most distant one from Downtown Juneau. As far as I know there is nothing new there. I think you mean AS.... Alaska Steam Dock. Or it's sister dock CT...... Cruiseship Terminal Dock. Yes they are great!

I had thought Celebrity was wrong as I thought I remembered the rebuild was for the Alaska Steamship Dock so thanks to all who confirmed. It is now the best dock in Juneau!

Except for those of us watching on the webcam. Whichever ship that is at the AS dock blocks the view of both the CT and FKL dock.:(:(:(

Except for those of us watching on the webcam. Whichever ship that is at the AS dock blocks the view of both the CT and FKL dock.:(:(:(

That is too bad. The new dock is rather massive so I can see where the ship can block views of the other docks.

That is too bad. The new dock is rather massive so I can see where the ship can block views of the other docks.

I think it is more the angle of the webcam and the dock "sticking out" further than the old dock that blocks the views.

• 2 months later...

Since we will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity in June, can anyone tell me if there is a nearby car rental? I'm thinking that renting a car and having the flexibility of going where and when we want may be the best way to see Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, the hatchery, etc. Any recommendations about that? I greatly appreciate your advice and wisdom having gone there before! -Laurel, Riverhead NY

Since we will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity in June, can anyone tell me if there is a nearby car rental? I'm thinking that renting a car and having the flexibility of going where and when we want may be the best way to see Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, the hatchery, etc. Any recommendations about that? I greatly appreciate your advice and wisdom having gone there before! -Laurel, Riverhead NY

You should ask this question on the Alaskan board. People who live in Juneau will know the answer.