Adding Second Person will trigger Re-Pricing.

Already paid 200% surcharge for second person. Thought just paid extra for taxes and fees.

What is so frustrating is you ask them it means you are Re-Pricing. They just wont use this word. They just kept on saying, "it is changed to present day's prices".

Yes, this is standard. You paid 200% of the price at the time you booked. If the price is different now, and you make a fundamental change like adding a person, you will be charged today's' price.

Already paid 200% surcharge for second person. Thought just paid extra for taxes and fees.

What is so frustrating is you ask them it means you are Re-Pricing. They just wont use this word. They just kept on saying, "it is changed to present day's prices".

That's why if there is any chance a second person will join you, it's best to book any name as a second person initially. You can change that name with no charge, or just have them be a no show and usually you will be no worse than if you had booked solo.

I just booked a cruise over the phone for December 2018. The RCI rep clearly told me that if i want to add a second person to my room I can do that up to 5 days before sailing and all I would have to pay is the extra tax and port fees for the second person. Is this not true?!?

I just booked a cruise over the phone for December 2018. The RCI rep clearly told me that if i want to add a second person to my room I can do that up to 5 days before sailing and all I would have to pay is the extra tax and port fees for the second person. Is this not true?!?

The policy has been to add people at the current price.

For an accurate answer it would help to know when you made your original solo occupancy booking and under what fare code promotion.

Was it:

BOGO50 BOGO60 1-2-3 Free Summer WOW

There's are several more, as promos change all the time, but the bottom line is how you originally booked as a SOLO will affect the way adding a 2nd person affects the bottom line.

That's why if there is any chance a second person will join you, it's best to book any name as a second person initially. You can change that name with no charge, or just have them be a no show and usually you will be no worse than if you had booked solo.

Yes Bob I understand.

But keep in mind that I book through a local TA here. It is quite a bit cheaper than RC.

The TA booking here includes taxes and gratuities. The taxes and gratuities for the second adds up another $100+. The TA here will not refund the T&G for the second person.

For an accurate answer it would help to know when you made your original solo occupancy booking and under what fare code promotion.

Was it:

BOGO50 BOGO60 1-2-3 Free Summer WOW

There's are several more, as promos change all the time, but the bottom line is how you originally booked as a SOLO will affect the way adding a 2nd person affects the bottom line.

It is normal everyday low pricing by the TA.

Yes Bob I understand.

But keep in mind that I book through a local TA here. It is quite a bit cheaper than RC.

The TA booking here includes taxes and gratuities. The taxes and gratuities for the second adds up another $100+. The TA here will not refund the T&G for the second person.

Thanks for the update. Very surprised that taxes would not be refunded, but I understand that different locales have different rules.

I called royal customer service again. I advised the woman that when i booked solo last week they told me i can add someone and all i would have to pay is the port fees and taxes for that second person. The woman i spoke with today confirmed that. No re-price triggering or having to pay addtl fare for 2nd person as i already reserved my cabin based on double occupancy. She was not able to direct me to where i can read this policy in black and white, but she said it is common knowledge among all of the phone reps.

I called royal customer service again. I advised the woman that when i booked solo last week they told me i can add someone and all i would have to pay is the port fees and taxes for that second person. The woman i spoke with today confirmed that. No re-price triggering or having to pay addtl fare for 2nd person as i already reserved my cabin based on double occupancy. She was not able to direct me to where i can read this policy in black and white, but she said it is common knowledge among all of the phone reps.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update. Very surprised that taxes would not be refunded, but I understand that different locales have different rules.

In the U.S., this is not true. Whether you book through a TA or Royal, you book with a credit card.

Royal will automatically refund gratuities and taxes to the credit card if a person does not show on the cruise.

The only way the gratuities would not be returned is if the TA paid for the gratuities.

If you booked in the United States, I would question that travel agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the U.S., this is not true. Whether you book through a TA or Royal, you book with a credit card.

Royal will automatically refund gratuities and taxes to the credit card if a person does not show on the cruise.

The only way the gratuities would not be returned is if the TA paid for the gratuities.

If you booked in the United States, I would question that travel agent.

That poster was from Singapore. No idea what their rules are.