Trying to plan Princess Cay Day!

cruisersmom

Here is a photo taken from the over-water pavilion showing the rocks/reef area in that area. This is the best snorkeling area. You can even see fish in the photo. You will see many, many more once you are in the water.

17266210892_26b7a87c4a_c.jpg

Bring some crunchy cat food next time. It really brings in the fish.

No one has mentioned how hot the clamshells can get in the sun.

Get there early & there's plenty of chairs in the shade. Wait till 10:30 after a leisurely breakfast & they'll be gone plus the line for tenders will also be long.

Good point about how hot the clamshells get -- we experienced that and tried lifting up the rear side of the shelter (about 2 feet or so) and that enabled a bit of a cross-breeze, which helped a lot.

Good point about how hot the clamshells get -- we experienced that and tried lifting up the rear side of the shelter (about 2 feet or so) and that enabled a bit of a cross-breeze, which helped a lot.

There really are a lot of chairs in the shade. Under various pavilions, under palm trees, etc. so that a clam shell isn't a necessity unless you have to be up front near the ocean.

Please don't feed the fish with cat food. Unless you see the ocean going Catfish.

It attracts loads of fish. I believe that's what Princess uses in St Thomas for their scuba dive.

They also eat the rolls & cookies but I've found they break up when wet. They do like cat food and it lasts longer in the water.

I specifically registered to comment on this thread.... Water shoes are a MUST! It's been 2 years since we'd gone to Princess Cay and I am still bitter. I had no idea about the super sharp rocks in the water and on the beach. My feet got small cuts all over on hidden rocks, but what's worse is that my 4 year old kid's foot got sliced on a rock and it was pretty bad.

Princess Cay was the first day stop, and with the sliced food he refused to get into any water be it the ocean, pool or shower for the rest of the cruise.

Princess Cay was the only destination that I've seen so far that provided free bandaids to cruisers on the beach. I am, however, glad we brought our own super-heavy duty giant water proof bandages because we had to seal off my kid's wound. It wasn't sliced deeply, but rather a piece was sliced off of a foot, so stitches were not possible.

So, come November, our entire family will be wearing water shoes!

I specifically registered to comment on this thread.... Water shoes are a MUST! It's been 2 years since we'd gone to Princess Cay and I am still bitter. I had no idea about the super sharp rocks in the water and on the beach. My feet got small cuts all over on hidden rocks, but what's worse is that my 4 year old kid's foot got sliced on a rock and it was pretty bad.

Princess Cay was the first day stop, and with the sliced food he refused to get into any water be it the ocean, pool or shower for the rest of the cruise.

Princess Cay was the only destination that I've seen so far that provided free bandaids to cruisers on the beach. I am, however, glad we brought our own super-heavy duty giant water proof bandages because we had to seal off my kid's wound. It wasn't sliced deeply, but rather a piece was sliced off of a foot, so stitches were not possible.

I wear my crocks all the time unless snorkeling.

Note that you do not reserve a specific clamshell.

It is first come to shore, first pick of location. All pre-reserving does is ensure that you will have one. Once you get to shore you will then pick from the ones still available.[/quote

Thanks for the tip!

I'm sharing this with the other couple we're cruising with! We will definitely wear our water shoes. I know it was painful for your son--this is definitely one of those things you need to be aware of in advance!!