Bringing a scooter into the cabin.

chaospearl

1st time cruise. I'm disabled, and usually bring my scooter for vacations because I can't walk long distances. I am fine walking around the room, and since I'll be with a friend/caretaker I don't need an accessible bathroom or shower or anything along those lines.

We weren't able to get an accessible room, and honestly I don't need one and I'd feel guilty taking it from someone who did -- when I travel alone I DO need accessibility and it's so frustrating seeing able bodied people in an accessible room when I can't get one.

Anyway, my concern is the scooter. All I need to do is be able to bring it into the cabin overnight. I don't need to ride it in the cabin at all. Is that possible in a regular room? We're on the Carnival Ecstasy in an oceanview room. If need be, my travel companion can break down the scooter and carry it into the cabin, and lean the pieces upright in the closet. That's what we'll do if we have to. It would just be easier to fit it through the door.

I'm a tiny person and it's a small 3-wheel scooter -- 21" width. Does anyone know if I'l be able to wheel it in through the door and put it somewhere that won't be directly in our path from the bed to the bathroom? Or will we definitely need to break it down every time?

You didn't mention when you cruise is? IMO it would be worth calling Carnival to ask if there are ANY accessible cabins available. Anyone who books an HC room that doesn't need it is notified that they might be moved if there was a need when the booking is made. I know for a fact that it happens because I was moved from one a few cruises ago. They might have changed their policy regarding booking HC cabins, I don't know if it can be done online any more.

I am really upset that you as a "handicap" person states you hate it when able bodied people take up an accessible cabin.

You cannot see everything. My husband looks perfectly fine. But he has chronic pain and several other issues. He must have a flat surface. We are in an accessible cabin so he does not have to worry about the steps up and down. I also feel safer.

So your words say just because his handicap cannot be seen by you he should suffer in a regular cabin and risk getting injured every day? I think not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Grief. Stop picking a fight. She just doesn't want to use a cabin that someone else needs more.

I have a motorized wheelchair that is 21" wide and we have no problem getting it through the door. There's no extra room to spare, so I suggest taking the arms off your scooter or if you can push it through the door that would be better. I always get a regular cabin and I too can walk around the cabin. Just can't go long distances. There is me and my husband that go and we bring the wheelchair and a walker and have plenty of room in the cabin for both. When charging, it is a little tight in the cabin but I sometimes will charge it at night. You'll probably need to do that every day.

I am really upset that you as a "handicap" person states you hate it when able bodied people take up an accessible cabin.

You cannot see everything. My husband looks perfectly fine. But he has chronic pain and several other issues. He must have a flat surface. We are in an accessible cabin so he does not have to worry about the steps up and down. I also feel safer.

So your words say just because his handicap cannot be seen by you he should suffer in a regular cabin and risk getting injured every day? I think not.

Why is this a reply to my suggestion? Are you confused?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

You are the one who stated you hated seeing able bodied people in a handicap cabin.

I am not! My comment is #35 comment #32 by schoifmom said they missed something when you said that to me. Maybe you are actually responding to comment #26 ryano?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

As you've read, you should be able to ride it into the cabin. With an inch to spare!

And Debroahjo... I understand about not being able to see a disability. For many it's very obvious, but for others, it's hidden, camouflaged, masked, or not always visible -- but still adaptive needs are there.

I hope we don't judge others by appearance. But get to know them.

• 1 month later...
As SadieN said, you will have more space for the scooter if you arrange the beds in an L configuration. Although this is an inside on Fascination, the OV cabin will be just like this, except the window will be real, not fake. When we got to the cabin, it was set up as twins (I travel with my sister). We moved my bed to the other wall to give great space:

Before

enhance

After

enhance

EM

Essiesmom, did you ask the room steward to move the beds like this or did you just do it yourself? I wonder if it's easy just to move them yourself and if they mind if you do this. Thanks.

We have rearranged beds in the past. They are easy to move, but tricky if you want to move both together. The reason we sometimes move ours is because I cant lay in a bed that has the head at port or starboard if Im on a higher deck that feels much rocking. We spin the beds so that the rocking is side/side rather than head/toe. Never had a problem with cabin attendant. We strive to move them back ourselves on debark morning, but one time we were in a rush and left an extra 20 on the bed for his troubles.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app