Ottawa to force ships to slow down to prevent whale deaths in Gulf of St. Lawrence

Faircliff

This must a change in the current rules. Currently all ships traveling up the river from a certain point are speed restricted/\.

It is a change as of today. Further speed restrictions are to be enforced. Looks like HAL understands the need.

It is a change as of today. Further speed restrictions are to be enforced. Looks like HAL understands the need.

YAY :) I saw that too. about time.

the fisherman were ordered to cease fishing earlier in the season because of lines caught and seen in the whales so it is not for lack of trying.

No one knows why these whales have moved to here, but they are endangered and need to be protected. We have already lost nearly 10 percent of the species this year alone.

there are not many of them. It would be nice if we could find a way to get them back to where they belong near the Bay of Fundy where it is safer, but I am so glad that action has been taken.

YAY :) I saw that too. about time.

the fisherman were ordered to cease fishing earlier in the season because of lines caught and seen in the whales so it is not for lack of trying.

No one knows why these whales have moved to here, but they are endangered and need to be protected. We have already lost nearly 10 percent of the species this year alone.

there are not many of them. It would be nice if we could find a way to get them back to where they belong near the Bay of Fundy where it is safer, but I am so glad that action has been taken.

I wonder if their changing location has to do with water temperature and climate change? Or it could be that the fish have migrated further north. Whatever it is, you are correct and they must be protected. :)

I am all for the change to protect the whales, but wonder about my cruise last year. It was in this area that we were caught in a Nor'Easter and missed two ports (Charlottetown & Sydney, NS) because of the weather. When a storm hits, and they do during the cruise season, will the speed limit be lifted to allow the ships to "outrun" the storm or get out of the area quickly?

Also, will the slower speed requirements mean less time at ports? Some of the ports already have a very short stop times and I would hate to have that reduced even more, particularly in Charlottetown, where I have always had to wait for tours or passengers who had trouble getting back to the ship on time.

I am all for the change to protect the whales, but wonder about my cruise last year. It was in this area that we were caught in a Nor'Easter and missed two ports (Charlottetown & Sydney, NS) because of the weather. When a storm hits, and they do during the cruise season, will the speed limit be lifted to allow the ships to "outrun" the storm or get out of the area quickly?

Also, will the slower speed requirements mean less time at ports? Some of the ports already have a very short stop times and I would hate to have that reduced even more, particularly in Charlottetown, where I have always had to wait for tours or passengers who had trouble getting back to the ship on time.

this will have no effect on Atlantic sailings or the Bay of Fundy.

the effect is in the St. Lawrence Seaway and where it merges to the Bay of Fundy I believe.

So, cruises along the Atlantic Coast, coming to Saint John, NB, and the rest of the Atlantic coast are not affected.

cruises going to Montreal, Quebec, etc. along the St. Lawrence Seaway will be affected somewhat.

this will have no effect on Atlantic sailings or the Bay of Fundy.

the effect is in the St. Lawrence Seaway and where it merges to the Bay of Fundy I believe.

So, cruises along the Atlantic Coast, coming to Saint John, NB, and the rest of the Atlantic coast are not affected.

cruises going to Montreal, Quebec, etc. along the St. Lawrence Seaway will be affected somewhat.

My cruise last year was from Quebec and we were headed from Saguenay to Charlottetown when we encountered the storm. Based on the article's maps, when the storm hit, we were in directly in the new reduced speed zone. We were in the St. Lawrence Seaway/Gulf of St. Lawrence during the storm and the captain made the decision to skip with Charlottetown & Sydney to head to Halifax, but it did mean "speeding" though the winds & waves to get there.

The affected area is the Gulf of St Lawrence and according to the TV news just now, the restrictions will add seven hours to the trip. That is bound to affect cruise ship scheduling.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/08/11/news/ottawa-orders-speed-limits-save-endangered-whales-after-deadly-summer

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-orders-ships-to-slow-down-to-protect-right-whales-1.3541452

Right whale speed restriction zones have been around for some time. Here are maps of the current zones along the US East Coast:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiulZ2mwdHVAhWI1IMKHdQnBwMQFgg3MAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fisheries.noaa.gov%2Fpr%2Fpdfs%2Fshipstrike%2Fmap_sma.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGAEFq1aetIIx9V3eQApCZOKGsSCg

Every year, NOAA sends out Notices to Mariners outlining where the boundaries of the speed zones will be for that year, as they tend to shift a bit based on reported sightings.

I'm sailing today from Boston up to Canada on HAL, assume this will have impact on my cruise. I have no issue with it though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I hope if there is an impact on your trip it is only a small one. And, I am pleased to see that you are understanding about the situation. Perhaps you can let us know how it goes and how HAL is handling it.

• 4 weeks later...
I hope if there is an impact on your trip it is only a small one. And, I am pleased to see that you are understanding about the situation. Perhaps you can let us know how it goes and how HAL is handling it.

Having now done the cruise I must say HAL handled it very well. We left early from Quebec, but only by one hour which was no big deal The ship went 10 knots through the restricted area and it made for a wonderful, relaxed cruise with plenty of whale and dolphin watching.

Good for them! I believe there are less than 500 of these Right whales alive and it would be a disaster for them to become extinct for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Good for them! I believe there are less than 500 of these Right whales alive and it would be a disaster for them to become extinct for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Totally agree. I believe the number was 515 until all the whales died. That would bring it to 500 or less.

So glad that steps have been taken.

Why have they moved? We don't know. Climate change? Food change?

Just the same these lovely mammals deserve to be protected.

Having now done the cruise I must say HAL handled it very well. We left early from Quebec, but only by one hour which was no big deal The ship went 10 knots through the restricted area and it made for a wonderful, relaxed cruise with plenty of whale and dolphin watching.

Great news!!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Totally agree. I believe the number was 515 until all the whales died. That would bring it to 500 or less.

So glad that steps have been taken.

Why have they moved? We don't know. Climate change? Food change?

Just the same these lovely mammals deserve to be protected.

The general consensus and what we heard from locals in the ports was that due to climate change, the waters around Gaspe are now warmer so many of the fish have moved north, causing the whales to chase them for food. Normally, I believe, these whales are around the Bay of Fundy.

One of our tour guides said that she used to surf near Cape Breton but there have now been sightings of great white sharks in that area as well - also having moved north due to the warmer oceans and fish migration. She is staying well clear of those waters this summer.

The general consensus and what we heard from locals in the ports was that due to climate change, the waters around Gaspe are now warmer so many of the fish have moved north, causing the whales to chase them for food. Normally, I believe, these whales are around the Bay of Fundy.

One of our tour guides said that she used to surf near Cape Breton but there have now been sightings of great white sharks in that area as well - also having moved north due to the warmer oceans and fish migration. She is staying well clear of those waters this summer.

You are correct, they were closer to where we live than where they are now.

I think the fish have moved. Climate change.

There is a huge discussion here on how fish have changed here and it's not for the better :(

Wow - I hadn't heard of sharks off Cape Breton. One was found here though (mortally wounded). My memory is short so I can't swear if it was last year or this year.

We are close (very close) to the Bay of Fundy.