Ruby Princess Alaska RT Seattle (7/29) from an (almost) new cruiser

ams cruiser

A little before 11:30 we decided we were hungry, and went directly to the Horizon Court for the seafood buffet. We were in line when they opened, which was a good thing because it got very crowded. We sat down with our lunches...

49e6c27b89213f5d794a53856fe33458.jpg

and enjoyed the view.

e0375caf048e7cc1f03660a63c67098f.jpg

At sunset, following an earlier suggestion of the narrator, I went back to the Promenade deck, (I believe it was aft this time), for one final picture.

250b8813af30a666bf729cc30a1360ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the wonderful details...we are going on the same cruise next month.

Trying to plan our Glacier Bay day...would you say the Promenade is the best viewing deck? 6 a.m. seems a little early for us lol but I do want to try to beat the crowds.

We will definitely bring some coffee to go cups from home...what did you do about breakfast? I assume we cannot take a plate with us on the deck?

Did you head back to the Promenade after lunch? Thank you

I just realized I need to clarify where our observation post was. We followed the Promenade Deck 7 all the way forward until we came to a small flight of stairs. At the top of these stairs was the covered deck (so does that make it Deck 8?) where we were able to get a great view of the glaciers.

Your review is AWESOME!!! I can't wait to read the next installments!!! We set sail on the Ruby on 9/2. Still trying to decide if we'll do the ship tour. It's a lot of money for us, but my boyfriend would really enjoy learning about the mechanics of the ship (engines and stuff). I'll probably find a way to make it work. This is a once in a lifetime cruise for us after all. Might as well go all out.

I've been taking notes on your suggestions so that I'm as prepared as possible for our trip. Just packed the coffee cup! :)

11828ae261189a7cbf16dccd05b973a4.jpg

Notice the cloud cover and the down jacket. This was probably taken around 7:00 a.m., which would explain why my eyes are closed!

6d653e21209a3a49019bff2be3d44846.jpg

This is later in the morning. Sunny skies, and down to my bottom layers. (I think these were Costco 32 Degrees shirts I got last winter for around $10.)

I wanted to add that one of the great things about standing on the foreword deck for almost 6 hours was that we met some very nice people by volunteering to take their pictures with their cameras. One really nice guy with some very big lenses taught me that by turning on the flash on my camera and/or iPhone, it would illuminate the person in front of the bright scenery. I wish I had known that when my husband took the top picture, but I was able to practice on a lot of people I met that morning, (who were equally clueless with their cameras!), and we were all very pleased with the results.

The next day we were in Ketchikan, where I had booked a flight seeing float plane tour with Island Wings. I was a little concerned because we had to get back to the ship by 11:30 a.m., but Island Wings is one of those companies that have a lot of experiences with cruise ships and their schedules.

Ketchikan

Island Wings Misty Fyords Float Plane Tour

We were greeted at the Liquid Sunshine gauge in Ketchikan by office manager Shona, who had been instrumental in booking our tour, and had kindly answered our many questions! (We later realized our cruise ship was docked almost next to the Island Wings office, so next time if we are in the same berth, we would skip the shuttle and walk directly there.)

We were able to bring our cameras, binoculars, and a smallfanny pack. Larger objects are locked inthe office. Five passengers boarded the plane with Michelle, and we were off.

It would be impossible to describe the beauty of the fyords. Each passenger wears a headset,and Michelle gives an informative commentary, interspersed with music. Our landing on a calm lake was smoother than anything I have experienced on a runway. There we had to opportunity to walk around, and take beautiful pictures. Michelle is great at knowing just how to take pictures with the majestic scenery in the background. (The only down side were the mosquitoes who found us towards the end of our visit, so people who are very sensitive might want to apply bug spray before boarding.)

All too soon it was time to get back on the plane, and we were treated to another breath-taking flight back to the docks. After we deplaned, we were given a map and DVD of a flightseeing tour of the fjords. (Since we were a couple, we only received one DVD, which would have been perfectly fine had my husband not misplaced it on the way back to the ship! We’ve emailed Island Wings to ask to have another one sent to us.)

Your review is AWESOME!!! I can't wait to read the next installments!!! We set sail on the Ruby on 9/2. Still trying to decide if we'll do the ship tour. It's a lot of money for us, but my boyfriend would really enjoy learning about the mechanics of the ship (engines and stuff). I'll probably find a way to make it work. This is a once in a lifetime cruise for us after all. Might as well go all out.

I've been taking notes on your suggestions so that I'm as prepared as possible for our trip. Just packed the coffee cup! :)

So glad this is helpful! I read these boards for almost a year before our trip, and got so much great advice.

I'm gong to try to cover the Ultimate Ship Tour a little later, but my batteries are running low, bit literally and figuratively!

We haven't been on a cruise in 12 years, and when planning this, thought this might be our once-in-lifetime trip, so we did go all out!

ae4feb221377414797360a7b25985a23.jpg

The Liquid Thermometer Gauge where we met Shona and the van. She told us that it had rained 11 inches the previous weekend!

05bc2ccb25013e789e13a74891d7fdda.jpg

We saw the Deadliest Catch boat on our short walk to the gauge.

cf08360aa51ef8015de8427a4b6825bf.jpg

Looking back, we realized the flight dock was just behind the grey building next to the Ruby.

We climbed into the floatplane where Michelle gave us headsets so we could hear her and listen to music, and then we were off!

The take off was quite gradual, unlike the helicopter ride that lifted vertically in the air.

Michelle described what we were seeing, and the scenery was varied and beautiful.

4cbddc6ef3f09feb4e8e3b35aa504c1e.jpg

27892c7936e4a42cf9855bc5c925ee73.jpg

5222dd1b2e3e7a0158aa8a13d490bb54.jpg

Edited by ams cruiser

Speaking of selfies, on the way back, Michelle invited us to pass our cameras up so she could take selfies of us!

b30218d0df9cda8f62729a86fcb9fa00.jpg

All too soon, we were back in Ketchikan...

88344bd3c9c5ec6fe28e43acc18a715f.jpg

6b49e17ae6bc60e35ea46c1e38dbb616.jpg

...where we realized how close we were to the Ruby!

Looking back: phobias and motion sickness

I was really nervous about booking this tour, because of my afore-mentioned fear of heights, claustrophobia, and propensity towards motion sickness. I decided to bite the bullet, and am so glad that I did! Although every person’s experience will be different, there were a few things in my favor.

1) I had taken a helicopter ride (in the front seat!) to a glacier in Juneau earlier in the week, which I ended up loving after the first terrifying minutes. The float plane, in comparison, was not at all frightening for me in terms of heights, since I was sitting next to a little window rather than a glass door that might have fallen off (!), and much less claustrophobic than riding in a small elevator.

2) I wore my trusty electronic Relief Band for motion sickness all week on the cruise ship, and found it helped me on the float plane. It's important to note that we had a beautiful, warm day (It had rained 11 inches the weekend before!), and Michelle told us that thermal uplift often leads to a bumpy ride. Small planes do much better in colder weather, and over water, as they are not subject to warm updrafts. So I popped a chewable Bonine into my mouth towards the middle of the ride (probably should have done it 1/2hr before, ) and was fine. The passenger who had done the float plane/bear trip the week before in cooler weather did get a little airsick, however, and said she would definitely have taken something before the trip if she had known this flight was going to be bumpier. (Michelle is prepared with "sick" bags in case this happens.)

3) Fear of flying insmall planes: It was because of this fear that I chose Michelle and Island Wings, based upon her reputation, and decades of flying experience. Michelle has a wonderful calm manner about her, which instantly put me at ease. She is a consummate professional who puts safety first, but was so relaxed during the journey, she made me relax as well.

When we return to Ketchikan, we hope to take Michelle’s Traitors Cove and Anan Creek Bear Viewing tour. One of our passengers had taken this trip the week before, and her pictures of bears - she saw 7 bears and two cubs, feasting on salmon- (taken with a small Sony camera) were National Geographic worthy!

Final thoughts: Once again, we were so fortunate we missed all of the rain. Anyone planning on taking this trip, should definitely have a backup plan, although she will fly in light rain if visibility is good. I was thrilled that my fear of heights and motion sickness were not a factor, but everyone's experience is different.

The Ultimate Ship’s Tour (Friday morning – the day of our evening Victoria stop)

Earlier in this thread (post #29) satxdiver, who is a much more experienced cruiser than I, gave a great overview of his UST on the CB. Here is my experience on the Ruby.

Thanks to the advice on these boards, we had signed up for this tour at the Passenger Services desk as soon as we got on the ship. At $150/person, I have to say that it was money well-spent. As a part of a group of 11 passengers, we were led from one department to another by assistant cruise director, Jase from the U.K., who was delightful and gave us a lot of insight into the lives of crew members as he guided us through the ship.

Our visit included: the mooring station where one of the officers talked to use about the ship’s huge anchors, the control room which monitors the engine room, and one of the galleys where we were treated to fruit punch and delectable chocolate treats as we learned about how they manage to feed 5000 people/day (including1200 crew). We saw huge vats of a variety of soups being made, and various dishes being prepped. A highlight was the bread making area, where a special machine cuts the dough into perfect rolls that are baked around 45 minutes before serving. The galley was so spotless, you could have eaten off the floor. The measures they take to insure food safety are impressive. (Did you know the waiters wash their hands every single time they enter the kitchen?) But what will always stay in my mind is the image of the men peeling every onion and potato (except for French fries) by hand. As Jase said, “If you ever think your job is hard…”

The recycling/waste storage area was massive. Given the amount of paper that's placed in our mailboxes each night, it was a relief to see the measures Princess takes to maximize recycling. Did you know that the stewards sort each cabin’s trash by hand each day, to separate recyclables? Equally impressive was the laundry, where two men feed the sheets into a giant pressing machine that folds the sheets into neat rectangles. There is an ingenious steamer that blows the wrinkles out of each dress shirt that is placed on it (byhand). Even more mind-boggling were the men we saw ironing each sleeve and pant leg BY HAND! We passed by the florist, the tailor (working hard on his sewing machine in a space the size of a telephone booth), the area where all of the photos are printed, as well as the patters printing room. Other areas included the backstage area of the Princess theater, and the costume area, where we learned how the shows are produced. At the medical center, we were impressed to see the extent of the services available to passengers and crew, including a lab, x-ray machine, intensive care unit, and an isolation room, which was currently occupied by a crew member with the chicken pox. The Ruby has two doctors (one for crew, one for passengers who talked with us briefly) as well as 3 nurses and 2 EMT’s.

The highlight of our visit was our trip to the bridge, with its magnificent views, where we got to spend quite a bit of time with the affable Commodore Giuseppe Romano. (I learned later that a Commodore is the senior captain of the entire fleet.) He seemed to be genuinely delighted to show us around, and quite willing to answer questions about the equipment, the responsibilities of the officers, the various flags and what they mean, and how they steer the ship. We were astounded at how small the "joystick" (think video game) and the wheel were. Commodore Romano explained that he is on the ship for 4 months, and off for two. (He joked that his wife sometimes lives with him on the ship, but after a month is ready to get off. When it is his turn to be at home, he says that after the first month she is asking him when he is going back to the ship!)

We ended our 3 1/2 hour tour in Vines with glasses of champagne (or sodas on request) and more chocolate-covered strawberries, where Jase invited us to ask any and all questions about life on the ship. He was a perfect person to lead the tour. He kept us moving through the different departments, serving as a liason between our group and the various crew members who briefed us on the goings-on in each of the departments. Jase himself has had a fascinating career. If he ever writes a book about his years spent as a adventure tour guide (especially his drives from Western Europe to Singapore, and Morocco to South Africa), we’ll be sure to buy it! ) What most impressed me, however, was the utmost respect he showed to every crew member we ran across, calling each one “Sir”, regardless of their “rank”.

No picture taking was allowed, partly for security reasons I'm sure, but I think mostly to keep the group together and keep the tour moving, because, after all, we are touring places where people are working to run the ship! A young Princess photographer (I don't think she was one of the pros) accompanied us, however, and took group photographs in a few of the departments.

Edited by ams cruiser

On the bridge with the Commodore, who asked us who would wear the caps with such charm, the three of us who were nearest, readily agreed.

c327c10525f5b9079d0c4b9b004f6e89.jpg

(The quality of the photos was like the ones you take when you first board the ship, not like the ones taken on formal night. Still, we were happy to have them as momentos of a wonderful tour!)

Speaking of momentos.....

Still trying to decide if we'll do the ship tour. It's a lot of money for us, but my boyfriend would really enjoy learning about the mechanics of the ship (engines and stuff). I'll probably find a way to make it work.

Be aware that the UST only goes to the engine CONTROL room, not the engine room. The ECR is most likely a lot quieter than the actual engine room, but still a little noisy. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the ECR representative is Italian, and will have a thick accent. If the objective is to learn about the mechanics of the ship, I question if it'll be what he hopes for. On some of our (distant) past cruises, there'd be a talk sometime during the week in the theater or a club about navigation and the ship, and it was free; I'm pretty sure I learned as much if not more at that talk than I did in the ECR when I did the UST.

And I know you said this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but I suspect you'll be hooked and will make it back to Alaska, or at least another cruise. We went into our honeymoon in 2010 with a bit of a "once in a lifetime" approach, but we've been back 3.5 more times, and we're heading back again in 31 days (but who's counting...).

Later that afternoon, a gift assortment was delivered to our cabin.

We each received a:

Princess robe (one size fits most)

Princess apron

8x10 picture frame

5x7 group pictures: (mooring room, engine control room, Princess theater costume room, the bridge)

personalized, heavy duty notepad

blue Princess tote bag

a008f747f0d0fa145522952951da3d8a.jpg

We loved the gifts, and found the tour fascinating. We were overcome with the thought that every passenger should have the privilege of going behind the scenes to see how hard the crew works, and were struck by how many unseen people it takes to give us the cruising experience we will never again take for granted.

Be aware that the UST only goes to the engine CONTROL room, not the engine room. The ECR is most likely a lot quieter than the actual engine room, but still a little noisy. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the ECR representative is Italian, and will have a thick accent. If the objective is to learn about the mechanics of the ship, I question if it'll be what he hopes for. On some of our (distant) past cruises, there'd be a talk sometime during the week in the theater or a club about navigation and the ship, and it was free; I'm pretty sure I learned as much if not more at that talk than I did in the ECR when I did the UST.

And I know you said this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but I suspect you'll be hooked and will make it back to Alaska, or at least another cruise. We went into our honeymoon in 2010 with a bit of a "once in a lifetime" approach, but we've been back 3.5 more times, and we're heading back again in 31 days (but who's counting...).

Good point about the engine control room. The room was filled with screens, not engines. (I'm pretty sure the officer who spoke to us there was Eastern European, not Italian.)

Here is his picture, but I can't read his name tag.

All of the crew were great about answering questions.

c797bb1523e1b128cb7dae142f84224a.jpg

Did you say you've been back 3.5 times? [emoji4]

Edited by ams cruiser

Oh my goodness, AMS, your report and photos are outstanding !!:halo: We are sailing on the Emerald on Sept. 3. The Emerald always sails one day later than the Ruby and follows the same itinerary. We are really hoping to do the ship's tour. Thank you so very much for all this useful information. - EBC.

Oh my goodness, AMS, your report and photos are outstanding !!:halo: We are sailing on the Emerald on Sept. 3. The Emerald always sails one day later than the Ruby and follows the same itinerary. We are really hoping to do the ship's tour. Thank you so very much for all this useful information. By the way, you had fantastic weather ! - EBC.

:)

Oh my goodness, AMS, your report and photos are outstanding !!:halo: We are sailing on the Emerald on Sept. 3. The Emerald always sails one day later than the Ruby and follows the same itinerary. We are really hoping to do the ship's tour. Thank you so very much for all this useful information. By the way, you had fantastic weather ! - EBC.

We really lucked out with the weather. Everywhere we sent, locals (and crew as well) kept telling us horror stories about the month of July. We met a couple on the train in Skagway who were on a Celebrity cruise. They had been in Ketchikan a couple of days previous, and said is absolutely poured. The only part of them that stayed dry where their Merrill hiking boots! (I was glad to hear that part, as I had purchased Merrill boots, and hadn't been to Ketchikan yet.) We were prepared with waterproof jackets, pants, etc., but never had to use them.

I don't know how many people were on the waiting list for the ship's tour on our cruise. I'm guessing that since there were so many first time cruisers aboard, it may not have been as popular as on other cruises. Also, we were able to board as soon as we got to the terminal (well before our assigned time), so we must have signed up by around 11:30 or so.

I envy you having your cruise ahead of you! Alaska is so incredibly beautiful.

Thank you for your reply ! All the passengers assigned to our deck are scheduled to board at 2:30 PM. That seems way too late. We are going to try to board as early as possible, so we can go straight to Guest Services and sign up for the U.S.T.

Only one problem --- it's our first cruise, and we have no idea where to find the Guest Services desk. ;) On the Emerald, it must be in the same location as it is on the Ruby. Do you happen to recall which deck and location the Guest Services is?? We really need to get there as soon as possible. Thanks so much, from EBC. :)