Ruby Princess Alaska RT Seattle (7/29) from an (almost) new cruiser

ams cruiser

Photos:

Thanks to a heads-up from these boards, I was able to purchase the all-inclusive photo package (all of your pictures - with a few exceptions - and a thumb drive with digital versions) on sale for $99 through the Princess website, and, I have to say, it was a really good deal.

At first, I was having buyer's remorse because there were just the two of us traveling. In our two previous cruises we were with a larger family group, including children, which made our picture sittings worthwhile, but how many pictures of just you and your spouse do you really need?

I ended up being glad I purchased the package for the following reasons:

1) I paid $99 compared to the $249 on board price.

2) I didn’t have to agonize over which pictures to purchase, like so many people ahead of me inline, which really slowed things down.

3) It forced us to actually go and get our pictures taken, especially on the last formal night, when it was a little less crowded. As we were leaving a show at around 11 p.m., we came across a photographer with no line. The pictures he took turned out great! In general, I was impressed with the photographers. They really know what they are doing.

I met a woman (in the photo line) who had gotten married on board in Seattle. She said they all got to board early for the ceremony and reception, (I believe she told me the reception part only cost $20 per person for hors d'oeuvres and an open bar) and that all but 12 of them got back off the ship in Seattle. Her wedding pictures were beautiful!

Excursions:

Princess vs Private:

After doing a lot of research on Cruise Critic boards as well as Trip Advisor, we booked all of our excursions independently, except for Victoria, as we were there for such a short time. Some of the excursions were similar to those offered by Princess, but were a little less expensive. For example, the Deadliest Catch Tour (that ended up being our second choice), was cheaper booking directly because you had to walk a short distance to the boat by yourself, rather than being met at the dock by a tour representative. Others, such as the float plane tour, offered the opportunity to stretch our legs near a beautiful lake part way through the tour. Most importantly to us, whenever possible, we prefer to travel in smaller groups.

Weather:

We were blessed with sun every day of our trip, and everywhere we went, the locals were marveling at our good fortune. This significantly affected our excursion experience, as none of our tours were cancelled.

Phobias: acrophobia,claustrophobia, and fear of motion sickness (don’t know if there’s term for that!)

I've written at length about motion sickness, but I am also terrified of heights. Not only will I not go to the edge of a drop off, I can’t watch anyone else do it either. I am also claustrophobic to the point where I won’t go in small elevators.

I poured the Cruise Critic boards for weeks, reading accounts of people with fears similar to mine. The best advice I read was that it has to be a personal decision. You shouldn’t book a float plane, just because someone else overcame their fear of heights on one. Given that perspective, I decided that I was going to go for it, anyway. (Actually, for me with my history of motion sickness, just getting on a cruise ship was a leap of faith.) So what excursions did I book while planning our cruise? A helicopter and floatplane!

The short version of the story is that I survived, and loved both trips. While planning the helicopter trip, I reasoned that, if I sat in the back of the helicopter, I might not even be able to see very well, and therefore, would fly in blissful ignorance. I'm probably the only person who got on that helicopter, hoping to be assigned to the middle of the back seat.

The problem is that helicopter seats are assigned by weight. Guess where I was assigned?

Left front seat, right next to the door, the seat most coveted by anyone who actually wants to see out of the helicopter and maybe even take pictures. The minute we took off I was petrified. I actually considered grabbing the leg of the woman next to me, as my husband (who has no phobias) was (of course) seated in the back. For the first five minutes I was absolutely convinced that the door was going to fly open, and I was going to plummet right down on to the Mendenhall Glacier. My fear of motion sickness was completely gone - at that point I was just concerned with staying alive! I considered closing my eyes for the entire ride, and then I remembered how much we had paid to be up in that helicopter!

My strategy? Start taking pictures. When I put my camera upto my eye, somehow it took away some of the reality of my situation. I started concentrating on framing my pictures,and gradually, my panic subsided. Looking off in the distance, rather than straight down was also helpful, and by the time we got to the dog camp, I was so excited about the puppies, I almost forgot to be afraid.

The cruise at last!

Embarkation:

Although our assigned boarding time was between 1 and 2 p.m., based upon the recommendations of this board, I had two goals in mind: a sit-down lunch in the dining room, and signing up for the Ultimate Ship’s Tour. These were lofty goals, as we were not "elites" ;), nor were we staying in a suite.

With that in mind, and prepared to sit and wait for a couple of hours, we caught our LYFT (another free ride!) to Pier 91 at 10:50 a.m. We checked our luggage, went through security, and got our cruise cards so quickly, at that point I asked, “Where do we go sit and wait?” The Princess representative smiled and me and said, “Just go walk onto the ship!” Dumbfounded, we quickly got our picture taken, dropped off our luggage, signed up for the Ultimate Ship Tour at Passenger Services, and were sitting in Da Vinci dining room eating lunch by 11:50, only an hour after we had left out hotel!

There was a postcard in our cabin explaining that Princess was trying a new early boarding procedure, and that we should enjoy the ship, but understand that the stewards might still be getting our rooms ready. If this is a new policy, I'm all for it!

Just found a picture of the postcard!df831347f33c1bd07ffbe942fee1a4ba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dining in Seattle:

On the waterfront:

Ivar’s Acres of Clams: Nice place to sit and watch the ferries. Enjoyed the air-conditioning during the heat of the day, and the fish and chips

Elliot’s Oyster House:dinner right after the locks cruise. Loved the Bairdi crab andhalibut. If we had planned ahead, we would have reserved through Open Table.

Chinook’s on the Fisherman’s Terminal: Grilled halibut was excellent. After dinner we walked outside to view the touching memorial to those lost at sea.

Sky City is the revolving restaurant at the Space Needle: (reserved online 90 days in advance)

Truly excellent dinner in a beautiful setting. There were clear views of Mount Rainier the night were there. The menu price includes the elevator ride to the observation deck, ½ hr before your meal. You can order a la carte, or a 3-course meal. (I believe you can view a sample menu not their website.) We got the best pictures from the restaurant (even through the windows), because the observation deck is surrounded by safety bars. Some people stuck their cameras through the bars, but I was afraid I'd drop mine!

The Space Needle is going to be remodeled, and the restaurant closed for several months while they install glass floors (!), and implement a new menu. The observation deck is supposed to remain open while they install floor to ceiling windows, and remove the bars. If you have a fear of heights like I do, you might want to visit Sky City before the re-model! I was fine looking through the windows, but I don't think I could handle glass floors.:o

Seattle was a beautiful city, and reminded us in many ways of San Francisco. While we were there in late July, they had had 40+ straight days without rain. (The temperature was in the 70's and 80's, but while we were on our cruise, the temperature in Seattle got into the 100's!)

Sorry to go out of order, but I found pictures of the Sky City menu,cda0717ab50f0cf3321be906d253cd4b.jpg9ac66dd07fa5417587247ecd230a9fd3.jpg

Keep in mind the dinner price includes the elevator to the top of the Space Needle, which can range from $19 to $29 for adults. They have a Space Needle/Chihuly Garden package, and there is also a City Pass worth checking into, to see if you can save some $$. Because we wanted to have dinner at Sky City, the packages didn't work for our plans.

I did not do the UST on this cruise but did do it on the CB earlier this year. You sign up for it at the Guest Services Desk. Just ask them about it. It is limited to about 12 or so and can fill up fast. Places we visited was the medical office (yes they have a morgue) with their 3 ER rooms (one was occupied so the door was closed), behind the theater stage including a tour of the dressing room (amazing how they can change costumes so quickly in that small space), galley (with horderves and drink), food storage areas, print shop, ship laundry (fantastic folding machine for the table clothes), flower shop, anchor room where they have their anchor chains and lines to tie the ship to the pier, engine control room and finally the bridge where we were greeted by the captain and were able to watch them steering the ship. We finally ended up in Skywalker's where they had more finger food and mimosas waiting for us. We had a photographer along who took our picture at each stop including on the bridge with the captain. At each stop a crew member from that area (supervisor) was present to explain what they did and answer questions. You go up and down many stairs on the tour and most of the time in the areas only the crew can go. In our movement around the ship we did see where some of the crew stay but not into the rooms. At the end they will send to your cabin a Princess robe, pictures taken at the different areas, frame and a few other items. All this for $150 each. Since the ship photographer followed us around no cameras or cell phones were allowed.

I particularly enjoyed the galley tour where the head chef talked to us showing us where the different food is prepared. We watched the bakery making the bake goods for the day. All the bakery items are made that day. When we walked down the main hallway below the decks, we saw the barber shop, bank, sundries shop and other crew facilities. I really enjoyed the tour.

It sounds very similar to the Ruby tour. We loved it!

Okay, back to excursions!

Juneau:

Coastal Helicoptersdog sledding on Herbert Glacier with a second landing on a lower icefield.

After managing (not overcoming) my fear of heights, this was, by far, our favorite excursion of the week. It’s impossible to describe the incredible views, everywhere you turned, both on the flight and at the dog sledding camp itself. Landing on the glacier was like being transported to a different time and place, so incredibly beautiful, it made my heart ache. We would have loved being there, even without the dog sledding. ( Next time, we are going to look into some of the glacier trips offered.)

The dog sled ride was exhilarating, with three stops to give the dogs a rest, and each of us a turn standing on the back of the sled. We got to meet each of the dogs, and get to know their personalities. Like our dog at home, after searching our pockets unsuccessfully for treats, they rolled over for belly rubs! The icing on the cake was being able to cuddle the sweet puppies, so young, they hadn’t even been named.

Our musher Chris, was very personable and his love for his dogs, goes without saying. He lives in a small tent up on Herbert Glacier during the summer months to be able to buy dog food and to race in the winter. This particular summer has been hard on the mushers as, due to weather conditions, 70% of the flights to the dog sled camp were canceled in the month of July. We had planned to tip him anyway, but the three of us on our sled dug deep into our pockets for this one.

We then had climbed back into the helicopters for a second landing on a lower part of the glacier to an ice field, where our pilot showed us where to taste the delicious glacier water, and how to look down crevasses , an experience I politely declined. (The pilot kindly offered to take my camera and take pictures of the crevasses for me, so I could view them later in the safety of my cruise cabin!) This part of Herbert Glacier was completely different from the dog sledding camp, as we went from snow-covered expanses to blue ice.

The ride back to the airport was as scenic as the ride up,and we were stunned by the vistas flying over the glaciers.

This was a pricy excursion, but for us, well worth it. The extra landing was around $75, but it felt like it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us. At the risk of sounding trite, it was truly life-changing

Further thoughts:

It is essential to have a back up plan. Flight tours are among the most frequently cancelled due to weather/safety concerns. The ports we visited have had an usual amount of rain, even for Alaska. As I mentioned, Coastal Helicopters had to cancel 70% of their flights in the month of July alone. We booked with the expectation the flight would be canceled, and were pleasantly surprised when it was not!

There are other companies that do similar trips, both in Juneau and Skagway, and I've heard they are also excellent, One thing I want to mention is that when I told Libby Riddles what we had done that day, she told me that a good friend of hers, Sebastian Schnuelle - winner of the 1000 mile Yukon Quest (and 2nd place in the Iditarod a couple of weeks later! - runs the Blue Kennels dog sledding camp,. Libby helped start the camp, working in the mushers camp for a couple of summers.

This was what we saw on the way to the dog sledding camp. Even our pilot was excited.

36d3f219bb25f3af517592fdc708e03c.jpg5915d082bd1495213c2675b2b9dd8c83.jpg54faca4b740accc6279af8a4f2e951b3.jpg28c2719e7110d4ff4fda70d785ae205b.jpg3b2d03aed4db5ce4cbb7c5295dbf0607.jpgf7164d58684a8159a162f096d6d24b2d.jpg

Aren't these incredible? I think I'm enjoyed them as much now as I did experiencing the views, although at this point I was still pretty terrified!

Thank you! I'm thrilled I finally figure out how to post them, although I'm sure there's an easier way.

Ams cruiser,

I'm trying to learn how to do it myself. My Grandson is going to show me how someday. If it's not easy I'm in big trouble :D :D.

Tony

875ebc35760ef262e342dca6b0839562.jpg

This one just wanted someone to lean on!

We learned that there are leaders, middle dogs, and followers (not the technical terms!) We were surprised to hear that the alphas often don't make good lead dogs, because they don't always want to follow commands! Sometimes the musher will switch out lead dogs so they can have a break.

Ams cruiser,

I'm trying to learn how to do it myself. My Grandson is going to show me how someday. If it's not easy I'm in big trouble :D :D.

Tony

My technique somehow involves a laptop, my iPhone, and an iPad. That's why I said I know there has to be an easier way!:D

Janet

Thanks for the info. Sorry to jump ahead in your review!!! Can't wait to read the rest and we will definitely sign up for the tour!!!!

You'll love it! Just go right to Passenger Services when you board. (We did stop off to drop our carry-ons in our cabin, but that was it!)