Service Charge Breakdown

actcleath

Leaving on the Gem this weekend. So far I've paid $199.50 "service charge" with the UBP and $195.00 for pre-paid service charges. Total of $394.50. If this is not prepaid gratuities, then what is it for?

It is the gratuities. The DSC is setup as the gratuities for ALL the waitstaff, cabin stewards and some housekeeping personnel. If you ask at the Passenger Service Desk, they will tell you the breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The 18% on the UBP is yet another issue. So we are now discussing three distinct items. NCL does apply a mandatory 18% gratuity to many packages (UBP, SDP, etc). Those are indeed actual gratuities put into the appropriates employee pools. The DSC is a general overall employee incentive program that is used to encourage team work among NCL crew members. NCL could have made the decision to roll that into the overall price of the cruise but they have elected to identify it separately, probably for ease of accounting for the money in that fund. Tipping is and always has been 100% optional.

"Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining"

On NCL, the daily service charge is mandatory where in most cruise lines it is removable. On NCL it is required to pay it.

They reword it but it is the mandatory gratuities.

On NCL, the daily service charge is mandatory where in most cruise lines it is removable. On NCL it is required to pay it.

They reword it but it is the mandatory gratuities.

Just where did you get this info from?

You are 100% incorrect

It is the gratuities. The DSC is setup as the gratuities for ALL the waitstaff, cabin stewards and some housekeeping personnel. If you ask at the Passenger Service Desk, they will tell you the breakdown.

Again incorrect information

Guest services will tell you they do not know the breakdown

Alternately they will tell you whatever they feel like saying

I really don't understand this need for a breakdown of the DSC.

The management of the company (and of the ships) are paid from the cruise fare, but nobody is insisting on knowing their salaries - but it's your money that paid them.

I can just imagine a Hotel Director's response if you asked what they were paid.

Stephen

Well that 18% will also be 'included' once the 'premium all inclusive' will be standard (and non optional) in all countries as is their plan here is the list :

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/all-inclusive

On a practical level i can see NCL saving lots of time in their systems to allow for all the current different ways per country and having it unified also probably will cut down on the questions at the service desk.

Daniel.

18%, plus "DSC", plus individual tips. Somebody is doing well.

I really don't understand this need for a breakdown of the DSC.

The management of the company (and of the ships) are paid from the cruise fare, but nobody is insisting on knowing their salaries - but it's your money that paid them.

I can just imagine a Hotel Director's response if you asked what they were paid.

Stephen

I know what you mean.

Do folk's do this at home?

Do they ask the barber how his cut of tip money works?

Do you pay for the chair / or are you salary?

Who much tip does the company get?

What does the hair sweeper make?

Do you share with housekeeping?

I know what you mean.

I agree! The only difference is that I did ask my hairdresser when I started seeing her a million years ago if she rents her station because that means you tip. If she owns the shop, you don't. Anyway, that's how I was taught. But no other person who receives a tip from me is ever asked how they're paid or where the tip goes! :D

I agree! The only difference is that I did ask my hairdresser when I started seeing her a million years ago if she rents her station because that means you tip. If she owns the shop, you don't. Anyway, that's how I was taught. But no other person who receives a tip from me is ever asked how they're paid or where the tip goes! :D

This question always goes round and round because NCL is not clear on whether the service charge is a gratuity or not. I have found it referenced in 3 places on the website, each with a slightly different explanation.

This question always goes round and round because NCL is not clear on whether the service charge is a gratuity or not. I have found it referenced in 3 places on the website, each with a slightly different explanation.

Yes, I know. I've been around here for quite a few years! For me, it's pretty clear. They used to have a gratuity (I don't know this from personal experience as I just started sailing NCL three years ago) and then as I understand it from reading here, they changed to the DSC. The DSC replaced gratuities, right? While they don't call it a gratuity in the FAQs but if you they run a promo and one of the options is "Free Gratuities" then you don't pay the DSC for that cruise because you got free gratuities. Seems pretty clear to me. But, it doesn't matter one way or the other. I pay the DSC. I leave additional if I feel I have received great service. It's simple. I have no burning desire to know how much a crew member makes and I don't believe it's any of my business. It doesn't have to be that hard, but some people make it that hard.

I know what you mean.

The best time to do this is during a straight razor shave. Try to post your answer before you bleed out.

It'd be nice to just have the upfront price rather than having to add bits in all the time, which breeds distrust. Don't price a beer at $10 if you have to have $11.80 to be able to pay for it. A spa treatment for $100 is really $118. By the end of the cruise it'll soon rack up to a lot more than you'd mentally tallied if you're used to a culture that prices fairly. We Brits DO tip. Most of us wouldn't dream of leaving a restaurant or hairdressers without tipping. We just like to be giving it rather than having it taken from us. I agree with the pooling of tips that are left though. I worked in the catering industry for a while and it's ultra annoying as a chef to know that the waiting staff are getting rewarded for the lovely meal that you produced! I'd happily pay more upfront for the cruise and do away with the DSC.

It'd be nice to just have the upfront price rather than having to add bits in all the time, which breeds distrust. Don't price a beer at $10 if you have to have $11.80 to be able to pay for it. A spa treatment for $100 is really $118. By the end of the cruise it'll soon rack up to a lot more than you'd mentally tallied if you're used to a culture that prices fairly. We Brits DO tip. Most of us wouldn't dream of leaving a restaurant or hairdressers without tipping. We just like to be giving it rather than having it taken from us. I agree with the pooling of tips that are left though. I worked in the catering industry for a while and it's ultra annoying as a chef to know that the waiting staff are getting rewarded for the lovely meal that you produced! I'd happily pay more upfront for the cruise and do away with the DSC.

I'm curious...do you have sales tax in the UK? What you described is how I feel every time I go to another state. Oregon is one of, I believe, only two states in the U.S. that doesn't have a sales tax. So, when I visit a state that does, I find it disconcerting that the price tag says one thing but then when they ring it up it's more. Ugh.

I don't like being "forced" to tip, but I assume it's because so many people wouldn't tip unless it was added to the bill so they add it. I'm so used to it after so many years of cruising that I don't even think about it now.

I'm curious...do you have sales tax in the UK? What you described is how I feel every time I go to another state. Oregon is one of, I believe, only two states in the U.S. that doesn't have a sales tax. So, when I visit a state that does, I find it disconcerting that the price tag says one thing but then when they ring it up it's more. Ugh.

I don't like being "forced" to tip, but I assume it's because so many people wouldn't tip unless it was added to the bill so they add it. I'm so used to it after so many years of cruising that I don't even think about it now.

Five states. In alphabetical order: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. That's 10% of the states.

We pay VAT (20%) but prices shown already include it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

By doing that you're taking tips away from the staff behind the scenes and giving it just to those you dealt with directly, meaning they get a greater share of the overall tips, which is exactly what the DSC I'd trying to combat.

The people who receive cash tips can share with the "unseen" crew.

Note that the DSC is distributed fleetwide at management discretion, so nobody knows where the money is going.

Still no reason to insult those who handle as the cruise line allows.

By doing that you're taking tips away from the staff behind the scenes and giving it just to those you dealt with directly, meaning they get a greater share of the overall tips, which is exactly what the DSC I'd trying to combat.

Not my place to tip

Dishwashers

Laundry crew

Engine room crew

Etc etc

Not on land. Not at sea

The reason it's handled this way is if it weren't ncl would have to claim the dsc as taxable income to ncl

Taxable income for who? The company? NCL doesn't pay US federal taxes on 90% of its operations. The crew? I know that in the Philippines, at least, taxable income is defined as "any compensation received from the employer, whether called wages, salary, or gratuity". The only money that is handled differently is money received directly from a customer.

Not my place to tip

Dishwashers

Laundry crew

Engine room crew

Etc etc

Not on land. Not at sea

That's your perogative but if they would otherwise have received a share of the DSC you'd be causing them to come away with less earnings than expected.

That's not how the world works. There will always be fees that are not included in the advertised price. Tax is an example of one of these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not how the world works. There will always be fees that are not included in the advertised price. Tax is an example of one of these things.

Most (all?) European countries include sales tax in the price its less confusing. Its shown on the bill for accountants and companies to reclaim it. For us for example the tax is 21%. Again maybe also a culture reason but it also upsets me when i see usa prices online without taxes and i want to compare. Personally i feel including it in the price advertised is less confusing by far.

Keep in mind this whole discussion seems to be ending (maybe also NCL became tired of it) since the new 'all inclusive premium' becoming the norm does away with all these things and i guess makes all this just part of the crews pay (and indeed its their job to figure out how to divide it). When service is good we can tip as a extra not as part of their expected income....

Daniel.