San Francisco

cruiseman111111

Hi there Cruiseman!

I am going on the NY's cruise outta SF, and am as anxious as you! This is our 2nd Princess, but first out of SF, and I hear it is a beautiful port to leave from. We've been to all of the ports on other cruises (except for San Diego) so we are really just in for the time off and cruise.

I love the posts and reviews, so I will try to post after we are home.

Kai

Yes - San Francisco is a beautiful city to sail from - and sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge can be a real thrill - pedestrians on the bridge waving "bon voyage" - and a cooperative Captain giving a mightly blast on the ship's whistle (horn) in return salute. Brigs a tear to my eye every time.

San Francisco has to rank right up there with Sydney and Vancouver as prettiest ports.

I'd echo that sailing under the Golden Gate is thrilling!!!! SF is a beautiful city, and if you want to extend your vacation and stay a few days there I doubt you'd be disappointed. The ports on the Mexican Riviera aren't spectacular, but they are fun, and 4 sea days is always a good thing!

The Dawn is not the greatest ship tho. It is showing signs of wear, and it smelled like a giant ashtray because smoking is allowed in most of the ship (more than any I've sailed on before). There were stains on carpets and chairs, burn holes from cigarettes on chairs and couches, a funny smell from the Vista lounge, burned out lights, etc. The lounge bands are good, but the shows aren't. They had one comedian who spent at least 45 minutes asking who in the audience did this profession, then than one, introducing them all and having the audience applaud for them. Granted I don't disagree that they have noble professions, but it was dull. We rose to leave and he heckled us. Their other comedian was 90% juvenile bathroom humor. If you have a 12 year old boy, go for it. Otherwise my advice is don't go in.....:(

If I was to do it again, I'd go Saphire Princess from LA for the incredible ship....but if you haven't sailed under the GG bridge, it's a tough call.

Have fun!!

I'd echo that sailing under the Golden Gate is thrilling!!!! SF is a beautiful city, and if you want to extend your vacation and stay a few days there I doubt you'd be disappointed. The ports on the Mexican Riviera aren't spectacular, but they are fun, and 4 sea days is always a good thing!

The Dawn is not the greatest ship tho. It is showing signs of wear, and it smelled like a giant ashtray because smoking is allowed in most of the ship (more than any I've sailed on before). There were stains on carpets and chairs, burn holes from cigarettes on chairs and couches, a funny smell from the Vista lounge, burned out lights, etc. The lounge bands are good, but the shows aren't. They had one comedian who spent at least 45 minutes asking who in the audience did this profession, then than one, introducing them all and having the audience applaud for them. Granted I don't disagree that they have noble professions, but it was dull. We rose to leave and he heckled us. Their other comedian was 90% juvenile bathroom humor. If you have a 12 year old boy, go for it. Otherwise my advice is don't go in.....:(

If I was to do it again, I'd go Saphire Princess from LA for the incredible ship....but if you haven't sailed under the GG bridge, it's a tough call.

Have fun!!

We love our city and all it has to offer. Yes, sailing under the GGB is a true experience. On our last trip out of SF there was a group of locals that had friends on the bridge (the GGB, not the ships bridge :) ) with baloons and they were all talking on their cell phones back and forth (oh modern technology)

Our cruise terminal is dated (think old) but they do a good job of getting you through and on the ship.

Have a great cruise and wave when you sail by.

Ed/Jeff

I think the best thing cruise lines ever did was start sailing from San Francisco. Anyone have any info on Dawn cruises toi Mexico.

Jim

I think people who live in California - this is awesome. For me, I have avoided the port.

While I think San Francisco is a great city - I don't want to cruise out of there because it is farther from the cruise ports. For example - if I want to go to Alaska- I would rather go out of Vancouver than have a few extra days added to the cruise just as sea days. Vacation days are a premium and if I am going to add extra days to the cruise, I just assume have them in Alaska as opposed to getting to Alaska. Same with Mexico....

I know my friends that live in the Bay area love that there have been ships emarking from there but they seem thrilled because they don't need to fly anywhere. I would still need to fly there which doesn't give me any advantage for sailing out of SFO.

It is chilly day and night right now in San Francisco. Last night the low was 42F and the high 58F. In the East Bay, we had frost. The next couple of days should be sunny with rain coming in Wed and Thurs.

Sailing out of SF is wonderful. We have done it twice now and in May are sailing to SF from Ft Lauderdale on the Coral Princess.

Click on my link for a great photo of the Regal Princess leaving the City.

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/image/53191517

Cheers, Denise

Were you across from us on the Aloha deck???? You were on the inside right before going out to the hot tub deck......if it is who I am thinking of.

Anyway, that was our favorite cruise to date. Looking forward to the Coral Princess sail from FLL back to SFO ;-))

Cheers, Denise

Last year my daughter and I sailed to Alaska from San Francisco, I always wanted to sail under the GGB. Even though it was very windy it was great. This last April/May one of my gradnsons and I sailed from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco through the Panama Canal, which was also great. Denise that is a great picture. When we go to S.F. we usually drive to Larkspur and take the ferry across. Musch easier.

Delores

Have a pacific coastal cruise booked for Sept. 2006. Can't wait because one of the ports is S.F. I use to live in San Mateo, and really miss the area and the weather. L.A. is too hot for me..................

Will go to lunch at Scoma's the day we are in port, and then do some shopping around the wharf............

Maybe take the cable car over to Union Square, have a champagne cocktail at the St. Francis, and buzz through some of the stores.....on the way back to the ship, I will stop at the Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee....................and grab a loaf of sourdough bread!!

Love this city!!!!!:D :p :)

Yogi Berra is the one credited with saying that, also said:

Decisions...When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Yogi Berra

He must have made that before he died.

Yogi Berra, upon seeing a Steve McQueen movie

Yogi Berra

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.

Baseball is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

You can observe a lot by just watching.

We made too many wrong mistakes.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

We have deep depth.

Yogi Berra...Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.

Baseball is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.

You can observe a lot by just watching.

We made too many wrong mistakes.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

We have deep depth.

Yogi Berra

KNOW...IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING YOU WILL WIND UP SOMEWHERE ELSE.

YOGI BERRA

Yogi Berra...A nickel isn't worth a dime today.

In theory, there is no difference between theory

and practice. In practice there is.

Yogi Berra

Jim,

Your post reminds me of that great quote..." No one goes there anymore, It's too crowded!" :)

Archived