Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

There appears to be a pilot boat--M/V Bayou City headed out of the port. If they can dock the ships and use them as floating hotels, as mentioned above, it may work out...but there is not much of a way for the passengers to get anywhere today with all the interstate flooding in the area and at least Hobby airport closed. The last thing the area needs is a bunch of folks distressed by being late coming back trying to get through flooded areas. People die in every flood around here trying to go where they should not go. Better for any passengers coming in to hold in place for a bit and let the waters recede.

http://www.fly2houston.com/iah/alerts/

HURRICANE HARVEY IMPACTS FLIGHTS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS

Over the next few days, severe weather caused by Hurricane Harvey may impact flights at IAH and HOU. The Houston Airports advises passengers to stay in touch with their air carriers for the most accurate information regarding specific flight status.

UPDATED 8/27/2017 at 7:30 a.m.

Flights at the Houston airports are being affected by Hurricane Harvey. The reported affected flights are as follows:

IAH - Our air carriers have decided reduce flight operations for the next few days to allow passengers to adjust their travel plans and prevent unnecessary trips to the airport during the adverse weather conditions.

HOU - The runways at Hobby are currently unusable and no flights are operating at this time. Contact your airline for rescheduling/waivers

We (Liberty) are offshore outside the port waiting for them to clear us in. The port was doing an inspection this morning at 6:00AM and our ability to dock is being discussed on a conference call at 9:00AM.

Here are the conditions we're in. It looks worse than it is the ship has remained incredibly smooth.

36668604162_f1b74f28cc_c.jpg

They told us to put our luggage out last night and then told us to bring it back in. Assuming we dock today anyone who wants to can use the ship as a hotel for Sunday night. They expect to sail a shortened cruise departing Monday afternoon.

People with RCI air/transfers have to stay on the ship tonight becaue no motorcoaches are available as they are being used by emergency services.

Good times.

Were are carnivals three ships vs royals ship location wise?

Were are carnivals three ships vs royals ship location wise?
2 are docked in new Orleans 1 still in cozumel. Carnival doing the right thing imho
Carnival Freedom and Carnival Valor are back underway, after their respective stops at New Orleans. They are stern to bow heading directly for the center of the Gulf right now. (I see no recent info about Carnival Breeze.)

Liberty of the Seas is less than 50 miles from Galveston, heading directly for the port. There's a pilot boat about three miles off the channel, perhaps waiting let lead Liberty into the dock as soon as they get the go ahead from the Captain of the port.

[quote name=bUU;53903748

Liberty of the Seas is less than 50 miles from Galveston' date=' heading directly for the port. There's a pilot boat about three miles off the channel, perhaps waiting let lead Liberty into the dock as soon as they get the go ahead from the Captain of the port.[/quote]

I was reading on the RCI board that the pilot boat turned around.

Carnival Freedom and Carnival Valor are back underway, after their respective stops at New Orleans. They are stern to bow heading directly for the center of the Gulf right now. (I see no recent info about Carnival Breeze.)

Liberty of the Seas is less than 50 miles from Galveston, heading directly for the port. There's a pilot boat about three miles off the channel, perhaps waiting let lead Liberty into the dock as soon as they get the go ahead from the Captain of the port.

Love this... How do they expect to get the passengers home Most of the roads out of the Galveston area including highways are impassible. Prayers to all who are loosing eveything.

I was reading on the RCI board that the pilot boat turned around.
Yes, but it doesn't seem to have moved. Perhaps just orienting the boat in the best orientation given the conditions. They're going to be waiting there for a little while at least.

Nope... I take it back. The pilot boat is definitely moving now, back into the channel.

Love this... How do they expect to get the passengers home Most of the roads out of the Galveston area including highways are impassible. Prayers to all who are loosing eveything.

This ^

Four cruise ships dumping thousands off passengers off at the port, only to be stranded there or in the Houston area for days is not a good idea. No, check that, it is a horrible idea.

This ^

Four cruise ships dumping thousands off passengers off at the port, only to be stranded there or in the Houston area for days is not a good idea. No, check that, it is a horrible idea.

I just hope they warn them of the harsh reality that they will be staying in a Galveston hotel for days. I wish this wasn't true but Houston is majorly underwater.

This ^

Everyone doesn't feel it is a bad idea, which I don't get...but I agree. The good thing is that the three Carnival ships are not in the area so they appear to be holding off on trying to get in until at least tomorrow at this point. It still won't be a good idea then if all the flooded roads are still closed...

I have been following this thread closely from the beginning. My heart goes out to all those affected by Harvey! We often cruise during hurricane season so we certainly know the risks but you kinda think it's never going to happen to YOU! I will preface the next statement with telling you that we are pretty much loyal Carnival cruisers (Diamond status) but have cruised most of the larger lines. I decided this morning to read both Carnival's weather alert and Royal Caribbean's. Doing so has strengthened my loyalty to Carnival! If you have a moment, check it out! Feeling really bad for those RCI cruisers.

On your advice I went to both sites and read their alerts. I agree with you there is a stark difference.

I've sailed and enjoyed both RC and Carnival (with our next being Carnival). It makes me think twice about RC again. It's the way a company handles things when it turns bad. It's why I'm avoiding flying Air Canada for our next cruise. It's their "don't care" attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surely if the ships dock and the roads are flooded they will stay docked and let the passengers stay onboard a few days until it is safe to drive or fly home. They should not dump them off and try and embark the new cruisers. The new cruisers won't even be able to get to the port if the area is flooded

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From the port of Galvestons FB page. Which is probably a good thing, since if you got off the Island with your car you'd probably be putting your life in danger.

26035_379733629300_3386389_n.jpg?oh=a54087b9fff34b85b0036e89c2877f5c&oe=5A5BA9C7

PORT OF GALVESTON

2 mins · [/url]

PARKING UPDATE: The Port of Galveston Parking Lots are NOT flooded. Access roads to the parking lots are flooded thus it is not possible to retrieve vehicles from the lots at this time. For additional information please call 409-766-6169. Refunds will be issued to passengers that have had their itinerary shortened. Please contact parking@portofgalveston.com

4 ships / cruises affected by Storm Harvey from Galveston ... 3 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean. I went to both websites to read their notices to passengers... Seems to me Carnival is doing a better job of working thru this.

CARNIVAL

TROPICAL STORM HARVEY

WEATHER UPDATE #5 – 08/26/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

We continue to closely monitor Tropical Storm Harvey and our thoughts and prayers are with the communities affected by the storm.

The Port of Galveston remains closed to all marine traffic. It is expected to stay closed until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you hear from us again.

Carnival Freedom and Carnival Valor are in New Orleans today for a short technical stop to replenish provisions before resuming course to Galveston this evening. Carnival Breeze is currently docked in Cozumel and will depart for Galveston at 6:00 PM. Our intention is to be in position to take advantage of any docking opportunity that may become available in Galveston on Sunday or Monday.

The duration of your cruise will have to be shortened and the itinerary modified. Cruise details will be finalized once we have confirmed our arrival into Galveston.

Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare for missed days and refund of any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for canceled ports. Additionally, guests who pre-purchased any of our beverage packages will receive a pro-rated refund. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact Tropical Storm Harvey is having on your cruise plans. Should you wish to cancel and receive a future cruise credit, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, contact your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent.

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

We apologize for the disruption to your vacation plans and look forward to welcoming you on board.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN

ITINERARY UPDATES

August 26, 2017

Due to Tropical Storm Harvey and weather conditions around the Galveston/Houston area, as well as the port's current closure, Liberty of the Seas will arrive to the Port of Galveston tomorrow later than originally scheduled. Because of this, boarding for the next cruise will now take place on Monday, August 28 between noon and 3 p.m. We ask that guests not arrive to the port before noon.

RCCL's notice has me asking if they are getting the same weather/flooding/disaster information everyone else is receiving....

So why debark 2,000 plus people into a disaster area?

Because there are many other people already on the island waiting to board. Granted at this point, probably not as many people waiting to board, but if you were sitting in Galveston now, wouldn't you expect the cabin you paid for?

Because there are many other people already on the island waiting to board. Granted at this point, probably not as many people waiting to board, but if you were sitting in Galveston now, wouldn't you expect the cabin you paid for?

Realizing the magnitude of the disaster, I wouldn't really care all that much about a cruise at this point. People are dying and losing everything...the cruise seems less consequential than it would have beforehand.

Well...at least that is how I have felt about travel after disasters when it has happened to me...