Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

I haven't read the whole thread. Is Carnival offer a full refund.If I remember correctly didn't cruiselines offer full refunds during hurricane Mathew. This hurricane seems so much worse. It seems odd to me that they still expect people make it to Galveston for a cruise that departs late. How in the world would you even get there?

Thanks guys! Anyone know what the chances are of a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Houston 12pm-1:39pm actually making it?

The Hobby area has had 7 inches of rain between 9:30 and 11 PM tonight.

I think it will be a clusterF for flights tomorrow IF any airports are open.

Up to 9.92 inches of rain in 1.5 hours just 3 miles south of Hobby airport... all flights as of this moment are cancelled... we will see tomorrow however, I would say with much confidence that you will probably not by flying to Houston tomorrow...

I haven't read the whole thread. Is Carnival offer a full refund.If I remember correctly didn't cruiselines offer full refunds during hurricane Mathew. This hurricane seems so much worse. It seems odd to me that they still expect people make it to Galveston for a cruise that departs late. How in the world would you even get there?

I guess they should if passenger opts to cancel.

The Houston hobby airport is closed due to flooding now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw that on Twitter. Hobby said the inbound and outbound lanes around the airport are flooded and there is standing water on the runways so there is no inbound nor outbound traffic. I also heard a local official in an interview on the Weather Channel a few minutes ago say that every interstate in the Houston area is flooded. Weather Channel said this will likely be the worst flooding disaster in U.S. history.

Even if the ships can eventually get into Galveston, passengers will likely have difficulty leaving the port.

I feel so bad for those affected.

The information I read, Carnival said they would offer a future cruise credit. I didn't read anything about refunds being offered.

If you want a better picture of just how bad it is here, livestream http://abc13.com/live/ or one of the other local Houston stations for a bit. As a meteorologist I know (my daughter, who works in another city) told me last night on the phone, the models often overstate the potential rainfall in a storm but they have understated this one for some areas. I don't know when the ships will be able to come in or what hazards and delays the travelers may face trying to get out of town. A lot depends on how long this bastard named Harvey stays around.

Edited by TexasRon

My neighbors were supposed to be leaving on Breeze today. They cancelled their cruise. Carnival refunded excursions, taxes, port fees & issued a FCC for the fare good for 18 months. Galveston Park n Cruise refunded their parking.

I have been following this thread closely from the beginning. My heart goes out to all those affected by Harvey! We often cruise during hurricane season so we certainly know the risks but you kinda think it's never going to happen to YOU! I will preface the next statement with telling you that we are pretty much loyal Carnival cruisers (Diamond status) but have cruised most of the larger lines. I decided this morning to read both Carnival's weather alert and Royal Caribbean's. Doing so has strengthened my loyalty to Carnival! If you have a moment, check it out! Feeling really bad for those RCI cruisers.

What I am really curious about is do the port officials and the cruise line officials look at what will happen to those passengers both getting off the ships and (attempting) to get to the ships? Just because they may be able to safely dock in Galveston, does it mean those passengers on the ship can get safely home, whether that be via car, plane, etc? With the number of days that the rain is forecast to continue and the extensive flooding with road closures already happening, how will people be safe getting off a ship in Galveston for the next several days? I say this not to complain, or say anyone is or has made a wrong decision. I am booked on the Breeze on 9/10 and really hoping the forecast is wrong, and all is well in Houston/Galveston in the next couple of days. But, having lived thru Sandy, and knowing what I went thru for weeks afterwards in northern New Jersey, I have to be skeptical that things will be safe down there for quite a while...

What I am really curious about is do the port officials and the cruise line officials look at what will happen to those passengers both getting off the ships and (attempting) to get to the ships?
That's a great question. From their statements, safety is their number one concern. That includes all manner of circumstances, including how safe it is to leave people "stranded" on ships in the Gulf for an indefinite period of time. As much as safety is a concern, I have to believe that they're also a bit concerned about the optics. Again, that brings to the fore the consideration about leaving people "stranded" on ships in the Gulf for an indefinite period of time.

Just because they may be able to safely dock in Galveston, does it mean those passengers on the ship can get safely home, whether that be via car, plane, etc?
So much of our travel industry would completely collapse if it were not compartmentalized. So I cannot believe that the port's concern would include getting every passenger all the way to their home. The port's concern has to end when the passenger is safely off the ship and safely in the welcoming jurisdiction of municipal and state authorities. If the city is closed, then the port has to deal with that. If the city is open, then the port can consider that aspect addressed. Right now, the city has a Shelter In Place order and has essential roads closed, so until that's over the port cannot reopen for passenger traffic.

The weather is messing up the airlines as well. Some people may not be able to get a flight home for a number of days after they get off the ship. That shouldn't be any part of the port's consideration. And unfortunately, it almost surely won't be any part of the cruise line's consideration either. We have travel insurance for both of our upcoming cruises, and it includes coverage for that. Insurance would not need to include coverage for something that the cruise line would deal with for us.

We (Liberty) are offshore outside the port waiting for them to clear us in. The port was doing an inspection this morning at 6:00AM and our ability to dock is being discussed on a conference call at 9:00AM.

Here are the conditions we're in. It looks worse than it is the ship has remained incredibly smooth.

36668604162_f1b74f28cc_c.jpg

They told us to put our luggage out last night and then told us to bring it back in. Assuming we dock today anyone who wants to can use the ship as a hotel for Sunday night. They expect to sail a shortened cruise departing Monday afternoon.

People with RCI air/transfers have to stay on the ship tonight becaue no motorcoaches are available as they are being used by emergency services.

Good times.

That's a great question. From their statements, safety is their number one concern. That includes all manner of circumstances, including how safe it is to leave people "stranded" on ships in the Gulf for an indefinite period of time. As much as safety is a concern, I have to believe that they're also a bit concerned about the optics. Again, that brings to the fore the consideration about leaving people "stranded" on ships in the Gulf for an indefinite period of time.

So much of our travel industry would completely collapse if it were not compartmentalized. So I cannot believe that the port's concern would include getting every passenger all the way to their home. The port's concern has to end when the passenger is safely off the ship and safely in the welcoming jurisdiction of municipal and state authorities. If the city is closed, then the port has to deal with that. If the city is open, then the port can consider that aspect addressed. Right now, the city has a Shelter In Place order and has essential roads closed, so until that's over the port cannot reopen for passenger traffic.

The weather is messing up the airlines as well. Some people may not be able to get a flight home for a number of days after they get off the ship. That shouldn't be any part of the port's consideration.

What? As long as they can toss'em off the ship, they should not be concerned with anything else? 20,000 passengers tossed off ships by lines unconcerned about what happens after they get them off the boats seems like much worse optics than actually keeping them safe onboard the ship, letting them off at alternate ports as necessary, and discouraging anyone on the coming cruises from risking their lives to make it into Galveston...if ANYONE is not aware how dire the situation is in Houston at this point, they are amazingly uninformed.

What? As long as they can toss'em off the ship, they should not be concerned with anything else?
Yes. Like I said, compartmentalization is the only way our travel industry works. I've lived the consequences of that ethic as a business traveler for over thirty years. As long as the city and highways are open, the port is going to make the decision to reopen.

We (Liberty) are offshore outside the port waiting for them to clear us in. The port was doing an inspection this morning at 6:00AM and our ability to dock is being discussed on a conference call at 9:00AM.

Here are the conditions we're in. It looks worse than it is the ship has remained incredibly smooth.

36668604162_f1b74f28cc_c.jpg

They told us to put our luggage out last night and then told us to bring it back in. Assuming we dock today anyone who wants to can use the ship as a hotel for Sunday night. They expect to sail a shortened cruise departing Monday afternoon.

People with RCI air/transfers have to stay on the ship tonight becaue no motorcoaches are available as they are being used by emergency services.

Good times.

Thank you so much for that update. I hope you get home safely.