Dawn or Orient

BlondieB

We'll be arriving via cruise ship in early November. There's only one other ship in port with us that day according to the port schedule so crowds I'm not too concerned with.

I've been set on Orient for the last couple months due to the amenities and what we typically look for in a beach day (Chairs, umbrellas, food, and good prices on local beer...wifi is a bonus and bar service from your chair is super bonus). The potential nudity doesn't bother us, we're grown ups, we can handle it. Snorkeling is not all that important as we're doing that in other ports. We're more relax in the water and drink beer types...but not rowdy, we're too old for that nonsense. Our group of 22 are mostly in our late 30s to 50s.

Recently I've looked at Dawn (Mr Busby's) and this seems like a comparable option as well. I have read that if there are strong east winds, the seas can be a bit rough there so to have a contingency plan.

Does anyone know the following in regards to Dawn:

1. $ of chairs/umbrellas

2. is there wifi

3. how long will it take to get there from the port (I know Orient is about 30 min)

What's your preference between the two?

We did Orient once and Dawn about 3 times. Orient is good if your group wants water activities and there are a number of places to get food and drinks. Dawn is quieter with floats available for rent but I don't remember seeing any jet skis or that type of thing. We have eaten at Mr. Busby's (burgers and pizza and such). There is another restaurant over at the resort to the left, can't think of the name right now as it has been a while. I don't remember if there are bar runners but I would be surprised if they didn't have anyone. Get there early enough and the walk won't be far at all.

Rough weather is a crap shoot. We have been to GC about 8 times on cruises (either in Feb or Nov) and last year (Nov) was the first time we had a rough beach day and it was at Mullet, not Dawn.

Seems the ride was about 20 minutes. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I don't remember the pricing but it seems all beaches charge about the same. $20-25 for an umbrella and two chairs.

My choice would be Dawn. Orient is fun for people watching but that's about it for me. Restrooms and a bar/restaurant are my only requirements.

We prefer Friar's Bay, 10 min past Orient and much quieter but beautiful beach and calm water. The Beach Club serves excellent food, and 2 lounges w/umbrella for $10 if you buy something to eat. You can also walk over to Happy Bay and enjoy that pristine beach.Have the driver return for you or call a taxi as it's away from the main crowds...

If you prefer a busier and more crowded beach then Orient and Dawn would be more to your liking...