Its official...

sarahc78

It's official our group just booked our first NCL cruise. :D The special they're running w/ all the freebies tempted us to hop from Celebrity and give NCL a try!

I have a bunch of questions and figured it might be easier to just post them in one post vs. five or six separate threads :confused:

We got the Unlimited Beverage Package as well as the Specialty Dining Package when we booked...Are water bottles covered under this?

In regards to the Specialty Dining Package coming from Celebrity their Specialty Dining is an all inclusive (pay one price get pretty much anything on the menu) I notice that the pricing is a la carte at NCL restaurants how does that work w/ the package?

Also I've kinda skimmed through some reviews and there seems to be a familiar theme of the specialty restaurants being booked or booking up super quick...is it possible to book them in advance when you have the dining package? On Celebrity you could only book in advance if you paid the price up front... which was inconvenient especially if you had a free dinner coupon or obc.

Can shows be booked in advance? Is that suggested?

Can someone explain a little bit how the dining on NCL works? I know its freestyle but some of the reviews I've skimmed thru mentioned buffet closing at certain times (buffet on Celebrity pretty much had something on it 24/7), needing reservations or having to wait to get into certain venues (irish pub, free Chinese food place, etc) this will be a completely different cruising style for us. We're used to dining room or specialty restaurant for most meals otherwise it was the buffet.

Where can I find info on Great Stirrup Cay? It will be one of the stops on our sailing, from what I understand it is NCL's private island which none of us have ever been too.

We will have kids on our sailing does anyone know the ages they have to be in order to sign themselves in and out?

I can only answer two questions. NCL does not include bottled water with the beverage package. And it would be a good idea to make the specialty restaurant reservations either before boarding or immediately after boarding. They fill up fast. Also reserve your shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's official our group just booked our first NCL cruise. :D The special they're running w/ all the freebies tempted us to hop from Celebrity and give NCL a try!

I have a bunch of questions and figured it might be easier to just post them in one post vs. five or six separate threads :confused:

We got the Unlimited Beverage Package as well as the Specialty Dining Package when we booked...Are water bottles covered under this? No bottles of water aren't included.

Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar):

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board.

One beverage per person, per transaction.

Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.

Does not include Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Guest who receive the Soda Package may obtain fountain soda at any bar, lounge or restaurant throughout the duration of the cruise, excluding Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.

Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($14.22 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.35 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.

Retail value of Ultimate Beverage Package is $79.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

Retail value of the Adult Soda Package is $7.50 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

In regards to the Specialty Dining Package coming from Celebrity their Specialty Dining is an all inclusive (pay one price get pretty much anything on the menu) I notice that the pricing is a la carte at NCL restaurants how does that work w/ the package?

For a 3-9 night sailing the package get's you 3 meals with the current promotion, 4 meals on a 10 night or longer cruise. You will be able to make your reservation starting at 90 days pre-cruise for most cabins, 100 days ahead if you booked a full suite, or Haven suite.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Also I've kinda skimmed through some reviews and there seems to be a familiar theme of the specialty restaurants being booked or booking up super quick...is it possible to book them in advance when you have the dining package? On Celebrity you could only book in advance if you paid the price up front... which was inconvenient especially if you had a free dinner coupon or obc.

Can shows be booked in advance? Is that suggested? Show reservations depend on the ship you are booked on, they can be made 100 days out for Haven suites, and 90 days in advance for regular cabin on the Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, and the Bliss. Personally I would book in advance, then make adjustments on the ship as needed.

Can someone explain a little bit how the dining on NCL works? I know its freestyle but some of the reviews I've skimmed thru mentioned buffet closing at certain times (buffet on Celebrity pretty much had something on it 24/7), needing reservations or having to wait to get into certain venues (irish pub, free Chinese food place, etc) this will be a completely different cruising style for us. We're used to dining room or specialty restaurant for most meals otherwise it was the buffet. Most ships have O'Sheehan's or the Blue Lagoon which are open 24 hours, for complementary "comfort" food. For main dining rooms you can show up for dinner when you're hungry and be seated on a first come first seated manner like a land based restaurant, or make reservations (90 days in advance for most cabins, 100 days out for full suites/Haven suites),

Where can I find info on Great Stirrup Cay? It will be one of the stops on our sailing, from what I understand it is NCL's private island which none of us have ever been too.

Beverage package is good at GSC, and they do have a nice BBQ lunch, and a taco place included as well.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/great-stirrup-cay

We will have kids on our sailing does anyone know the ages they have to be in order to sign themselves in and out?

13-17 can come and go from the teen club without signing in and out.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs

We got the Unlimited Beverage Package as well as the Specialty Dining Package when we booked...Are water bottles covered under this?

Can someone explain a little bit how the dining on NCL works? I know its freestyle but some of the reviews I've skimmed thru mentioned buffet closing at certain times (buffet on Celebrity pretty much had something on it 24/7), needing reservations or having to wait to get into certain venues (irish pub, free Chinese food place, etc) this will be a completely different cruising style for us. We're used to dining room or specialty restaurant for most meals otherwise it was the buffet.

Here's some info on how the specialty dining package works with the various restaurants:

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and our French, Mexican and Italian restaurants across the fleet. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

• The Supper Club - $15 USD
  • Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Bayamo - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)
  • Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

Here's the link to the complete page:

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

I'll give it a shot...

No.

Before anyone asks, you cannot bring your own bottled water.

In most specialty restaurants, the SDP covers 1 main entree and unlimited apps, sides, and desserts. In some restaurants, there is an up-charge in addition to using the SDP. Food Republic on Escape does not honor the SDP and is a la carte only.

...is it possible to book them in advance when you have the dining package? On Celebrity you could only book in advance if you paid the price up front... which was inconvenient especially if you had a free dinner coupon or obc.

Another CC member made a guide that helps many.

Click HERE and it should answer your questions.

Yes to both in most cases.

NCL is much like land-based dining. You can make reservations in some places but you can always just walk up and ask for a table. There may be a wait which is why some people make reservations. Some restaurants fill up completely and guests are turned away because there isn't enough time/space to add anyone else. To ensure that you can eat at a certain place, it is best to make reservations. Another reason for reservations is that some have shows to attend so they want to work their dining around those events. Some just go eat when they are hungry. O'Sheehan's is 24 hours and even though the buffet is only for certain hours, there is always someplace to eat something.

GSC is open but is also currently being renovated. It is unknown what new things will be ready when you sail. It is coming along piece by piece. Some things are completed and some are not.

Many answers are HERE.

Thanks everyone! Wow answered pretty much all of my questions so quickly!

Some of the best information about NCL cruises is available right on the NCL website. By looking at the tabs, near the top of the page (Example: Plan your vacation), you can find much of the information you seek. You should scroll down each page that you open, as you probably will find things you hadn't thought to ask.

About Great Stirrup Cay... By opening the tab "Learn About Our Cruises," you can find information about each port you will visit (including GSC), and find further information about your ship, activities, staterooms, dining, shows, and find excursions available. However, the key is to follow through with your research and not stop browsing pages until you get to where you find what interests you.

Also, CC has port information forums which will be very helpful. You can use CC's "Search" tool (above) or scroll down the BOARDS page to find destinations (such as "Caribbean" or "Private Islands."

I hope this helps!

You did not ask, but I thought I would mention that it is my understanding that specialty coffees are not included in the Unlimited Beverage Package. Unlike Celebrity that does include coffees.

One comment. Kids can sign themselves out after an hour if they are atleast 10 and a parent grants them that right. They will ask you if you will allow that when you sign them up at the start of the cruise. I do believe the 13+ may have more lacks rules but my kids are not that old yet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

One comment. Kids can sign themselves out after an hour if they are atleast 10 and a parent grants them that right. They will ask you if you will allow that when you sign them up at the start of the cruise. I do believe the 13+ may have more lacks rules but my kids are not that old yet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

13+ have no rules, except a parent does have to sign them up. Shows should be booked on the mega ships, you can book shows on the others. Four NCL cruises, and we've traveled with 7 -10 people, and never had to wait for a table with no reservations, but we find it's easier to be seated in the largest MDR, because they have more larger tables.

We got the Unlimited Beverage Package as well as the Specialty Dining Package when we booked...Are water bottles covered under this? (As other have already mentioned, the answer is No. However, I believe you can bring like a coffee mug to refill it with water/juices from the Garden Cafe. But since you have the beverage package, you will not have to worry about drinks. For the drinking package - any drinks under $15.00)

In regards to the Specialty Dining Package coming from Celebrity their Specialty Dining is an all inclusive (pay one price get pretty much anything on the menu) I notice that the pricing is a la carte at NCL restaurants how does that work w/ the package? (Since you have the dining package, you do not need to worry about the a la carte at some of the restaurants.) 1 entree, and then many appetizers & desserts under those restaurants with no cover charges. Cover charges are to those restaurants like sushi bar, ocean blue, etc.)

Also I've kinda skimmed through some reviews and there seems to be a familiar theme of the specialty restaurants being booked or booking up super quick...is it possible to book them in advance when you have the dining package? On Celebrity you could only book in advance if you paid the price up front... which was inconvenient especially if you had a free dinner coupon or obc. (There will still be some bookings available on board. Perk hours would be crowded, however you can reserve in advance to some restaurants if you would like to. You can reserve online through myncl or call the dining reservation desk. The number is: 1-866-234-7350. Some waited til they get on board in order to see what time the show are offered & then to plan when to eat. For those that are solo travelers, they can join other solo travelers to eat. NCL have a solo traveler group. And if there is a Meet & Greet on the second day of the cruise, go to it & join your roll call if there is one).

Can shows be booked in advance? Is that suggested? (As others already mentioned, certain shows can be booked in advance depending on the cruise ship and you can do so when your cruise is less than 90 days)

Can someone explain a little bit how the dining on NCL works? I know its freestyle but some of the reviews I've skimmed thru mentioned buffet closing at certain times (buffet on Celebrity pretty much had something on it 24/7), needing reservations or having to wait to get into certain venues (irish pub, free Chinese food place, etc) this will be a completely different cruising style for us. We're used to dining room or specialty restaurant for most meals otherwise it was the buffet. (For Haven cruisers, they have their own butler and luxuries. There is a separate pool as well as dining for them-the Haven restaurant) For all others, there is the main dining room including those specialty restaurants that you would have to wait to get in if it is during the perk dining time. The wait time shouldn't be too long.)

Where can I find info on Great Stirrup Cay? It will be one of the stops on our sailing, from what I understand it is NCL's private island which none of us have ever been too. (Yes, GSC is NCL's private island. However, it depends on the weather and if your cruise ship get to tender to the port. For the tender ticket, please reserve to get one in advance especially if you are on a newer NCL cruise ships. You can reserve doing it through the TV). They will also let those that have a shore excursion goes first. They will go by tendering A, B, C, etc.)

recently spoke with NCL directly. Apparently, only 20% of the tables at the specialty restaurants are available for advance booking. So when it says "not available" when you try to book online, there are still available tables which you could book once on board. Or so they told me. I'm certainly hoping so, since we really want to dine at Cagney's and it's listed as unavailable for advanced booking.

Are you on the Epic? I ask because you mention the free chinese restaurant, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is unique to the Epic. It is very popular and we found people queued for it before opening time- but they will give you a buzzer and you can go away and get a drink while you wait. We only went once for lunch and had around a 10 minute wait. Wish we had gone back for dinner as the lunch menu is limited! There is just too much choice on board though, we only made it to O'Sheehans once as well (the pub) and we were on a 10 day cruise! The MDR for lunch on sea days is great, we enjoyed it more than the buffet although there's nothing wrong with the buffet.

If you don't manage to make dining reservations online then make them on the day you board- as mentioned above they only release a certain % of reservations in advance, so as long as you do this shortly after boarding you should be OK. You can use the app on your phone, the TV in your cabin or make reservations at the restaurants themselves, but I think the easiest way to do it is via the interactive screens dotted around the ship.

I also recommend you reserve all the shows, however we did go back to watch Priscilla a 2nd time on standby and got in fine without a reservation. There will be other entertainment also available for reservation that wasn't offered in advance- such as the comedy shows and smaller musical shows. Also reserve these on your first day, we didn't and weren't able to get reservations. Although we could probably have got in on standby if we chanced it. There is also entertainment with no reservations needed, such as the Cavern Club and Howl at the Moon.

Again assuming you are on the Epic with all of the above! If you are interested I have a link in my signature to a photo review of our cruise on the Epic, the port info and dailies won't be relevant as it was in Europe, but there is food pictures :)

Are you on the Epic? I ask because you mention the free chinese restaurant, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is unique to the Epic. It is very popular and we found people queued for it before opening time- but they will give you a buzzer and you can go away and get a drink while you wait. We only went once for lunch and had around a 10 minute wait. Wish we had gone back for dinner as the lunch menu is limited! There is just too much choice on board though, we only made it to O'Sheehans once as well (the pub) and we were on a 10 day cruise! The MDR for lunch on sea days is great, we enjoyed it more than the buffet although there's nothing wrong with the buffet.

If you don't manage to make dining reservations online then make them on the day you board- as mentioned above they only release a certain % of reservations in advance, so as long as you do this shortly after boarding you should be OK. You can use the app on your phone, the TV in your cabin or make reservations at the restaurants themselves, but I think the easiest way to do it is via the interactive screens dotted around the ship.

I also recommend you reserve all the shows, however we did go back to watch Priscilla a 2nd time on standby and got in fine without a reservation. There will be other entertainment also available for reservation that wasn't offered in advance- such as the comedy shows and smaller musical shows. Also reserve these on your first day, we didn't and weren't able to get reservations. Although we could probably have got in on standby if we chanced it. There is also entertainment with no reservations needed, such as the Cavern Club and Howl at the Moon.

Again assuming you are on the Epic with all of the above! If you are interested I have a link in my signature to a photo review of our cruise on the Epic, the port info and dailies won't be relevant as it was in Europe, but there is food pictures :)

Awesome thank you so much for all the great info. Yes we are on the Epic. I've been kinda scouring through as many recent reviews as I can to get info on what to expect. Definitely sounds like it is going to be a lot different than Celebrity (not meaning that in a bad way) so I want to prepare as best I can so we're not all deer in headlights the entire cruise like we were our first Celebrity sailing after only being familiar w/ RCL!

You did not ask, but I thought I would mention that it is my understanding that specialty coffees are not included in the Unlimited Beverage Package. Unlike Celebrity that does include coffees.

I had read in another thread last night that it did not include the coffees...that review also mentioned there really wasn't a place to get coffee other than the atrium café. Is that true? Or hopefully an exaggeration...I haven't really mentioned the whole coffee thing to our group yet as one of their favorite spots on Celebrity ships was Cafe Al Bacio.

The atrium is the best place to get a coffee- they have nice Lavazza coffee and free cakes and muffins etc. It's not an actual coffee shop but is the closest thing to one on board so you might find that a little disappointing. 'Speciality' coffee as they call it is not included in your drinks package, and will cost around $3-4 for a coffee. You can also purchase Lavazza coffee in most bars and O'Sheehans I believe, but the atrium is the nicer place to get it. Free (just about drinkable) coffee in the buffet all day, and also in the MDR after dinner.

The Epic is quite a unique ship, we loved her so I hope you do too!