Boston Shore Excursions

Dancingmom62

We're on this cruise too!

At the moment, we are pretty fluid with what we are going to do, but that's because we also have a little one in tow. We're planning on doing a duck tour (not booked through Carnival - it's cheaper directly, and it's sold out thru Carnival anyway), or possibly going to the aquarium and/or Quincy Marketplace/Fanueil Hall. With the odd time we get into port, it's tough to figure out what exactly to do, because we want to be back on the ship for dinner.

There's always the Freedom Trail that can be done at your own pace. I was also checking out the Salem tour that Carnival offers, but it seemed to get not great reviews. They also have a Fenway Park excursion.

Husband and I will be on September 2 sailing on Carnival Sunshine . Appreciate any help on touring Boston. Not sure if should book ship excursion or possibility of other tour options available at port . Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The wife and I work in Boston. What kind of things are you interested in and are you looking for a tour or just some things to do?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This will probably get moved to the ports of call board. You might want to look over there because there's a lot of suggestions over there.

We are going on the same cruise on September 16 and we decided to do a scavenger hunt type Excursion that we heard about. It got a lot of great the reviews. You do it on your own and at your own pace, but get to see a lot of great sites. It's called The Amazing Boston scavenger hunt. I see they have lots of different cities that you can do this in, and hubby and I both have thought if we enjoy it as much as we think we will that we might try it in other cities too. I like the idea of we can do it on our own.

Don't do Salem, esp. with a little one, nothing there but small store area and a good museum. The Boston Aquarium is really nice, so is the Boston's Children's Museum-depending on age of child. Must see the Old North Church and get a pastry at Mike's. Faneuil Hall is a great place get lunch and let kids move around for a bit. Not sure of child's age but the USS Constitution is cool.

To 1st poster: not sure how mobile and fit you are so answering is a little tough. I am planning this for a group of four and we range in mobility and fitness, so it's making it a little hard to do.

BUT if you can walk pretty easy this is all doable on foot: I would not miss, Old North Church, Mike's Pastry(or a pastry shop in little Italy area), Faneuil Hall for lunch ( oh my gosh the choices of what to eat......), Quincy Market for shopping, an old cemetery(there are several that have famous old dead people), some of the freedom trail (just so you can walk the red bricks), The State House has a nice museum in it. Personally, I like the Ducks,(sculpture) and Swan Boats at the Boston Public Green-but time probably won't permit.

Hope this helps.

If you want to venture a little further from the main area and you like unusual type stuff....I do this every time I go to Boston and it just got better. Take the subway to Harvard Museum of Natural History(it is a walk from the sub station to the museum). They have an exhibit of glass flowers that were used by botany students that has just been redone. They are so realistic you just can't believe they are made from glass. And now they have added glass sea creature exhibit. I haven't seen this one yet. You can walk around Harvard a little while you are there.