MSC Divina YC formal nights

Zephyr173

We are quite happy to dress up with our tuxedo and evening dresses, but have seen in a previous cruise (MSC Splendida, October 2916, western Med) that there were not many men with tuxes or laides which dresses.

We are happy to go in MSC Divina soon, in YC Should we bring the nice stuff, or do people no longer care? Do fellow YC guests dress up to Le Muse and the show?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are quite happy to dress up with our tuxedo and evening dresses, but have seen in a previous cruise (MSC Splendida, October 2916, western Med) that there were not many men with tuxes or laides which dresses.

We are happy to go in MSC Divina soon, in YC Should we bring the nice stuff, or do people no longer care? Do fellow YC guests dress up to Le Muse and the show?

Some do and some don't so wear what you feel like wearing.

In my experiences (13 times in the YC on Divina) most of the YC folks do dress up for dinner on all nights, not just formal nights. By dressing up, I mean dresses or nice pantsuits for the women and Docker-type pants and a polo shirt for the men on nonformal nights. On formal nights, most of the men were in suits or nice trousers and a suitcoat and most of the women were in long dresses or sparkly tops and dress pants. We did see a couple of folks in casual clothes but not very many. This is one of the MAIN REASONS I love YC...most folks still dress up for dinner!!

The debate continues. I think it's nice to keep the tradition alive. I will be wearing a tux to dinner on formal nights. I don't mind being in the minority of the formally dressed. As long as the crew will be preparing for formal nights then I will do the same. I don't mind that others are not dressed formally as long as they make an effort to look neat. I feel that sloppy dressing on formal night is an insult to the officers and crew who are the hosts.

The debate continues. I think it's nice to keep the tradition alive. I will be wearing a tux to dinner on formal nights. I don't mind being in the minority of the formally dressed. As long as the crew will be preparing for formal nights then I will do the same. I don't mind that others are not dressed formally as long as they make an effort to look neat. I feel that sloppy dressing on formal night is an insult to the officers and crew who are the hosts.

100% agreed!!!

Expecting people who don't know how to dress well to dress well is just putting lipstick on a pig.

If you force the men to put on a jacket, they find some god awful sports coat from 1960 and then complain about it all night.

Then you have the women in polyester pantaloons that their mother told them looks great. Or they're in heels that are three skill levels beyond them.

Dressing well is an art and trying to force the sartorially ignorant yields dubious results. Don't get me started on tie lengths.

A confident fit woman in a stunning dress is a treasure.

A well turned out male in a tailored suit commands respect.

Billy Joe in the too short tie, mismatched shoes and ill fitting jacket never gets comfortable. There are only so many sins a seamstress can hide in women's wear and off the rack doesn't have a chance.

Trying to cover the typical over 30 American figure is quite the challenge.

Best to leave everyone with what their comfortable in.

My partner and I are the well dressed ones getting better service because that's the secret isn't it? Who would you want to wait on, slobby Bobby or the cute couple?

Thanks for the insight. I'm only 46 years young but I will certainly pack the tux and keep the tradition going. Rest assured, Cuervosar, that my bow tie shall be proper length. Lovely and humorous post. Loved it.

We were onboard 2 weeks ago and wow did it vary! There were a few tuxes in the YC (my husband included) and around the ship. They stood out in a most welcome way! There were also some jackets, a few dress shirts without jackets, some polo shirts (some with shorts), and one man who wore a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. We were honestly surprised he wasn't turned away from Le Muse. Early in the week, they did turn a man away in a t-shirt and flip flops at dinner - I'm not sure why they didn't on a formal night.

I wore long gowns on the two formal nights as did a few other women.

We love the elegance of formal night! It adds to the atmosphere and whole experience for us as well as the staff - they appreciate the effort. Definitely wear the tux! :-)

We were onboard 2 weeks ago and wow did it vary! There were a few tuxes in the YC (my husband included) and around the ship. They stood out in a most welcome way! There were also some jackets, a few dress shirts without jackets, some polo shirts (some with shorts), and one man who wore a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. We were honestly surprised he wasn't turned away from Le Muse. Early in the week, they did turn a man away in a t-shirt and flip flops at dinner - I'm not sure why they didn't on a formal night.

I wore long gowns on the two formal nights as did a few other women.

We love the elegance of formal night! It adds to the atmosphere and whole experience for us as well as the staff - they appreciate the effort. Definitely wear the tux! :-)

Read your review. Thank you for expending the effort to write such a detailed and nuanced text. I'm quite sure that DW (who still does not know we are YC in 3 weeks) will harbor similar sentiments as you did on your sailing.

Read your review. Thank you for expending the effort to write such a detailed and nuanced text. I'm quite sure that DW (who still does not know we are YC in 3 weeks) will harbor similar sentiments as you did on your sailing.

Thank you so much! Sorry but the uploading of pictures didn't cooperate. I did post many on some of the FB Yacht Club forums.

In the weeks leading up to our cruise, I would read review highlights to my husband and they helped build the excitement for us. I hope mine helps to do the same for upcoming cruisers.:)

I can't believe you've kept it a secret! You're good! Although, I will say my husband surprised me with some beautiful jewelry on one of the formal nights. Personally, I can't keep a secret, lol. We just love the Divina and this past cruise was truly outstanding. I hope you both have a fabulous time! Please let us know!

Oh ................ your DW is in for a very lovely surprise! Hope you have a wonderful YC experience. :*