My Rome transfer dilemma

vvtible

I was wondering if anyone more experienced could chime in with an opinion. I will be on a cruise next week that ends in Rome. I have read about the different options for getting from the port to the city or airport, and I have decided to book a private transfer (because of the luggage we'll have & to maximize sightseeing time).

Here's where I'm stuck. Our disembarkation time supposedly starts at 7 a.m., so I'm guessing we'll get off by 8 or 8:30. My traveling partner will be heading to the city center to drop her bags at her accommodation and head out for sightseeing. She isn't there long so won't want to waste a lot of time. I have a 2:30 p.m. flight out of FCO (and have been to Rome previously so am not concerned about seeing any of it while I'm there). I don't want to pay for a car to bring her to the city center AND a separate car to bring me to the airport. So I was thinking I could:

1. Ask the driver to drop me somewhere on the outskirts of Rome, where I could catch a taxi to the airport.

2. Ride all the way to the city, then head to the airport from there (either immediately, or maybe after grabbing some coffee or something depending on how much time I have)

For those of you more experienced with Rome, what would you do? Or can you suggest a better option? It's hard to my to gauge my timings. I don't want to spend a fortune, but to be honest, I value convenience over cost. :)

Thanks!

One option is to just let your travel partner go in one vehicle and you go in another one.

You could enjoy a leisurely morning and be one of the last ones off the ship getting off at around 9:30 AM. Head to the airport and check in and just relax at the airport.

Keep in mind that you will have luggage with you so some of the other options seem like they would be challenging. I would not go all the way into the city.

If it was me I would just go to the airport but as I said be one of the last ones off the ship.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I did think of that too, but I also thought it would be a lot more expensive to take two cars. And I kind of like the idea of making sure my traveling partner safely gets to her accommodation and feels comfortable heading out on her own. But I will definitely consider it!

You mentioned staying on the ship until more like 9:30. I'm a cruise newbie here. How do I know how late they will let you disembark. I thought I had read somewhere that most ships require you to be off by 9. Is that not the case? It would be great if it wasn't...we aren't morning people. :)

vvtible, you are very welcome.

The precise time you can stay on will vary by cruise line. You can post on the cruise line board for the line you will be on asking what is the latest time you can get off the ship.

If you are worried about your travel partner you could do one of two things. You could share the vehicle to the hotel and then drop the partner off and then head over to the airport. When you e mail the travel company you could even ask if they can wait outside for say 15 minutes while you make sure all is good with the check in for your travel partner. More then likely the room won't be ready but as you mentioned your travel partner will probably want to go out and about right away.

Keith

You're going to wind up killing time somewhere, if it were me I'd rather be somewhere in the city rather than spending five or six hours at the airport.

If you are picked up from the ship at 8 AM you'll be in the city around 9:30 or so. If your flight departs at 2:30 you need to be there around 11:30 if it's a direct flight to the States, or 12:30 for other flights. It's only about 45 minutes from the city to the airport by car, a little more by train allowing for getting to the station.

Of course, you'll have your luggage with you to deal with as well so that's a consideration.

You'll have between one to two hours to fill, I'd just find a nice place for coffee and relax, then taxi a taxi (fixed fare of 48 euro) out to the airport when you're ready.

Another couple of alternatives: go with your traveling partner to her hotel. Drop your luggage off with hers (if she can check in, if not the concierge should be willing to store it for a couple of hours). Then you are free to do whatever for a couple of hours before heading back to the hotel and getting a taxi to the airport (hotel can call for one).

OR if your friend already has solo sightseeing set up, you could drop her at her hotel and ask the driver to drop you at Termini. Store your luggage there for a couple of hours and go somewhere close by -- I highly recommend the Museo Na*z*ionale Palazzo Massimo alle Terme which is very close; or you could visit the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, designed by Michelangelo and built in the ruins of the Baths of Diocletian.

At any rate, you can then retrieve your bags and take the fast train (Leonardo Express) directly to the airport. There are dedicated luggage storage areas on the train. Cost is 14 euro, but it's fast, direct, and no transfers needed.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It was great to hear a range of ideas. What I have decided on (so far - I may change my mind) was to book a transfer from the port to the city, drop off my friend & make sure she feels settled, then have the car company take me on to the airport. The charge for that extra leg to the airport with a little bit of waiting time is the same as a taxi, but WAY cheaper than taking two separate cars from the port. And I would normally ask the hotel to watch my bags while I grabbed a coffee or something, but it's actually an Airbnb apartment, so it's not as convenient asking them to keep the bags for just a short while. I know I will be a bit early to the airport, but hopefully I can check in and relax in the lounge or elsewhere in the airport.

A key consideration should be what time your partner can get into her airbnb apt. Many list afternoon unless you make special arrangements.

I doubt you will be very early at the airport. Don't skimp on your timing if you are flying directly to the US. It will take almost three hours to get through multiple security screenings.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone more experienced could chime in with an opinion. I will be on a cruise next week that ends in Rome. I have read about the different options for getting from the port to the city or airport, and I have decided to book a private transfer (because of the luggage we'll have & to maximize sightseeing time).

Here's where I'm stuck. Our disembarkation time supposedly starts at 7 a.m., so I'm guessing we'll get off by 8 or 8:30. My traveling partner will be heading to the city center to drop her bags at her accommodation and head out for sightseeing. She isn't there long so won't want to waste a lot of time. I have a 2:30 p.m. flight out of FCO (and have been to Rome previously so am not concerned about seeing any of it while I'm there). I don't want to pay for a car to bring her to the city center AND a separate car to bring me to the airport. So I was thinking I could:

1. Ask the driver to drop me somewhere on the outskirts of Rome, where I could catch a taxi to the airport.

2. Ride all the way to the city, then head to the airport from there (either immediately, or maybe after grabbing some coffee or something depending on how much time I have)

For those of you more experienced with Rome, what would you do? Or can you suggest a better option? It's hard to my to gauge my timings. I don't want to spend a fortune, but to be honest, I value convenience over cost. :)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums