Coach from Southhampton to London

edhopper

Yes, some old threads about this, but they are closed, and I have a question.

On the QM2 to England Sept. 7-14. We plan to take the National Express Coach to London when we arrive in Southampton.

I have read that we should get advanced tickets to ensure a seat. My question is what would be a good time to book the bus?

We want it late enough so we don't have any stress trying to get to the coach station on time, but not so late we are just waiting around for the bus at the station. I think the QM2 docks at 6:30am, but what is a realistic time for us (2 people) to disembark and get a taxi to the coach station?

Thanks

Yes, some old threads about this, but they are closed, and I have a question.

On the QM2 to England Sept. 7-14. We plan to take the National Express Coach to London when we arrive in Southampton.

I have read that we should get advanced tickets to ensure a seat. My question is what would be a good time to book the bus?

We want it late enough so we don't have any stress trying to get to the coach station on time, but not so late we are just waiting around for the bus at the station. I think the QM2 docks at 6:30am, but what is a realistic time for us (2 people) to disembark and get a taxi to the coach station?

Thanks

It would depend if you are self disembarking or not or qualify for early disembarkation with the Cunard World Club status.

If self disembarking, able to take all your own luggage off in one step then 0900 would be reasonable. But you never know if anything is going to hold you up.

I would use the South Western Railway Service from Southampton Central Railway Station to Waterloo. Buying my ticket on the day. The Price being around £41 each for turn up and go. The journey time being about 1hour 20mins for a fast train from Platform 1to London Waterloo against over 2hours 30mins by Coach to London Victoria.

Cheaper options are available for traveling on a specific train, but you are unable to change tickets once purchased.

We have done it both ways - National Express and train. We used the slower train journey with Southern but they have been plagued by strikes and work to rule days of late. We have self disembarked and had booked a coach departing Southampton around 8.30 am. If you can manage luggage that is fine. With the train you have to load and off-load your own luggage whereas NE do the lifting for you. If not self-disembarking I wouldn't book a departure before 10.30 am. When we have used public transport from Southampton we have always booked in advance. Megatrain does cheap tickets but the first train that can be used (South West faster service) is usually around 12.55 pm - a bit too late for us.

I assume you have already checked out the National Express website for departure times available? There aren't many going from Southampton to London. We usually get the 9.45am to Heathrow Terminal 5 as opposed to London Victoria for 2 reasons, it is much quicker, and it's only 5 minutes away from the Piccadilly line, no stairs involved, so a relatively painless journey into central London. When we have had to get a coach to Victoria, then we get the 9.30am coach, but hate the slow traffic near London and the crowded coach.

We don't leave the ship until 8.30 as you never know exactly how long it takes to find bags etc. If you think you won't be disembarking until after 9am, then take it easy on the ship as the next coach times are after 11am (I think)

Regarding the train option, £41 each is expensive, and I'm not aware of any advance discounts on a weekday morning from Southampton to London. These trains especially the fast trains are pretty full with commuters, and I know from experience it can be annoying when you have bags to keep an eye on.

Thanks. We are going to self disembark. We were hoping to grab a quick breakfast onboard before we leave (do they serve that morning?)

Anyway, sounds like 10:00 would work hassle free.

There is no room service but the buffet and dining rooms will be serving breakfast. It may not be the full menu but on the last couple of occasions we were pleased to get Eggs Benedict.

We just did the same thing a month or so ago. We did not self embark, but had breakfast then waited our turn and it went fine. No issues getting our luggage from dockside, it was well organized.

We chose to walk (with luggage) to the central bus station. We just enjoy walking rather than a taxi. I think we had 11 am tickets and arrived for the earlier bus (maybe 10 am, I don't remember the times exactly) and the earlier bus was full so we waited for our originally scheduled bus.

There is very little room or seats in the waiting area of the station. However, there is a very nice shopping mall a couple blocks away - there were lot so coffee shops, nice areas in the mall if you need to kill some time.

At Victoria station we got a taxi to take us to the hotel. I did not want to deal with luggage on the underground.

Have fun... !

We just did the same thing a month or so ago. We did not self embark, but had breakfast then waited our turn and it went fine. No issues getting our luggage from dockside, it was well organized.

We chose to walk (with luggage) to the central bus station. We just enjoy walking rather than a taxi. I think we had 11 am tickets and arrived for the earlier bus (maybe 10 am, I don't remember the times exactly) and the earlier bus was full so we waited for our originally scheduled bus.

There is very little room or seats in the waiting area of the station. However, there is a very nice shopping mall a couple blocks away - there were lot so coffee shops, nice areas in the mall if you need to kill some time.

At Victoria station we got a taxi to take us to the hotel. I did not want to deal with luggage on the underground.

Have fun... !

Thanks CC. How long is the walk? In time and distance?

about 1 mile and 30 min walk. Fairly easy, but you will need a map or smart phone to guide the way. Not a lot of traffic ,but a few cobblestone sidewalks and curbs along the way. If poor weather I wouldn't walk it, but if nice weather, it is not a bad walk.

In our experience self disembarkation has taken place between 7 and 7.30 am which we adhered to. I don't know what would happen if you wandered off at a later time. It can be difficult with the lifts on disembarkation day - slower. The buffet is open early and a bit chaotic on the last day but least you can be in and out more quickly than in the MDR. Have a great cruise.