Car rental Juneau?

falootin

I just rented one yesterday at avisalaska website. The downtown Juneau location on 101 Mill St. it's the one at AJ dock. It was about $65 starting for the day.

Edit: they also have a Juneau airport location too if it's before/after your cruise. If you want the AJ dock one you have to go to Avisalaska.com vs the regular Avis site or it doesn't work. And I couldn't find any discount/company codes that would work :(

I just rented one yesterday at avisalaska website. The downtown Juneau location on 101 Mill St. it's the one at AJ dock. It was about $65 starting for the day.

Edit: they also have a Juneau airport location too if it's before/after your cruise. If you want the AJ dock one you have to go to Avisalaska.com vs the regular Avis site or it doesn't work. And I couldn't find any discount/company codes that would work :(

Where did you drive to what did you see?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

When we rented we went to Mendenhall Glacier, Glacier Gardens, Shrine of St Therese, Skater's Cabin, the harbor area, the beach, Alaska Brewery, the small free arboretum, Douglas Island, the Wall of Skiis, saw bears on the side of the road eating flowers, saw an Eagle and nest at the harbor area, had lunch. It was a great day in June 2014. We're booked again June 2018 and have a car booked for that trip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were scheduled for a helicopter glacier tour that left from the Juneau airport. We drove there, stopped at Fred Meyer (on the way to the airport - it's across the highway, more or less) for a few things to stock our cabin's fridge (we were on a 10-day cruise and this was our first port) and bought Alaska/Juneau souvenirs (they have a long isle of items that is not very expensive). After the helicopter ride we drove on to Mendenhall glacier for a couple hours. We did some general exploring (see what there is to see) and finally parked at the library parking garage to walk around downtown and had dinner at Tracy's Crab Shack. We felt it was a better use of our time to rent the car than take the shuttle to the helicopter, them returning us to downtown then taking a 2nd shuttle out to Mendenhall - the airport is between downtown and Mendenhall. It's also nice to not have to physically carry things around everywhere.

Where did you drive to what did you see?

We don't take our cruise until next August, 2018! But we plan to drive to mendenhall glacier and just explore around town, havent quite come up with all the places yet. There will be 4 adults so it was cheaper to rent a car then to take the bus/taxi/uber to mendenhall glacier and back!

If it works with your plans, particularly if you have an excursion near the airport where transportation is provided, check with the rental agencies at the airport. Many times cheaper than downtown. We got a rental from Alamo for $18 the end of May this year.

When we rented we went to Mendenhall Glacier, Glacier Gardens, Shrine of St Therese, Skater's Cabin, the harbor area, the beach, Alaska Brewery, the small free arboretum, Douglas Island, the Wall of Skiis, saw bears on the side of the road eating flowers, saw an Eagle and nest at the harbor area, had lunch. It was a great day in June 2014. We're booked again June 2018 and have a car booked for that trip as well.

Thanks so much w are also booked june 2015

Oops 2018

We were scheduled for a helicopter glacier tour that left from the Juneau airport. We drove there, stopped at Fred Meyer (on the way to the airport - it's across the highway, more or less) for a few things to stock our cabin's fridge (we were on a 10-day cruise and this was our first port) and bought Alaska/Juneau souvenirs (they have a long isle of items that is not very expensive). After the helicopter ride we drove on to Mendenhall glacier for a couple hours. We did some general exploring (see what there is to see) and finally parked at the library parking garage to walk around downtown and had dinner at Tracy's Crab Shack. We felt it was a better use of our time to rent the car than take the shuttle to the helicopter, them returning us to downtown then taking a 2nd shuttle out to Mendenhall - the airport is between downtown and Mendenhall. It's also nice to not have to physically carry things around everywhere.

So smart

We don't take our cruise until next August, 2018! But we plan to drive to mendenhall glacier and just explore around town, havent quite come up with all the places yet. There will be 4 adults so it was cheaper to rent a car then to take the bus/taxi/uber to mendenhall glacier and back!

That's what we thought w have 5 adults much cheaper then shuttles

If it works with your plans, particularly if you have an excursion near the airport where transportation is provided, check with the rental agencies at the airport. Many times cheaper than downtown. We got a rental from Alamo for $18 the end of May this year.

$18 wow I went through almo downtown and outs going tho cost just over $100

Download the Juneau Visitor Guide. Towards the back there is a area map which shows how limited the roads are, and distances between locations. Probably impossible to put 100 miles on a rental car.

http://www.traveljuneau.com

Drive out to mendenhall glacier, to the coast for Eagle Beach and Shrine of St Therese, to Mccauley fish hatchery (if salmon are running), tour around Douglas Island.

All towns and ports have web sites, which support tourism and local vendors.

$18 wow I went through almo downtown and outs going tho cost just over $100

Once we booked we kept checking rates. We rebooked each time we saw the rate drop. Rebooked 6 times. Budget had a car for $16 for the same day but we didn’t want to change for 2 bucks. Rates includes all taxes/fees.

Need to consider taxi fare from the dock to Airport, or reverse, and also the time involved in getting to the airport. An excursion out that way helps. Juneau has a lot to do. It wouldn’t be worth the savings if the added time didn’t allow for everything you want to do.

We spent part of our day exploring the ruins of the Treadwell Gold Mine, the largest gold mine in existence a century ago. The mine was on Douglas Island, across the bridge from Juneau. I don't think many cruisers ever go here...no one else was there on the day we visited. If you plan to go, read up on the history of the mine online ahead of time...it is quite an interesting place to visit and best of all...it was FREE!

I wrote about exploring the mine and the other things we did while in port via rental car on my blog My Souvenir Memories. I included a lot of photos and also links to a walking tour map of the mine.

We spent part of our day exploring the ruins of the Treadwell Gold Mine, the largest gold mine in existence a century ago. The mine was on Douglas Island, across the bridge from Juneau. I don't think many cruisers ever go here...no one else was there on the day we visited. If you plan to go, read up on the history of the mine online ahead of time...it is quite an interesting place to visit and best of all...it was FREE!

I wrote about exploring the mine and the other things we did while in port via rental car on my blog My Souvenir Memories. I included a lot of photos and also links to a walking tour map of the mine.

That sounds really cool I'm you g to have to look this up

I just emailed Avis Downtown about returning a car after they close. Looks like they close at 6pm, but our ship doesn't leave until 9pm. Anyone have experience in returning a car after they close? Is that allowed? How far of a walk was Avis from AJ Dock?

I just emailed Avis Downtown about returning a car after they close. Looks like they close at 6pm, but our ship doesn't leave until 9pm. Anyone have experience in returning a car after they close? Is that allowed? How far of a walk was Avis from AJ Dock?

You can do a drop off after hours- BUT- you are the responsible for that car until it is accepted back by Avis. This year, some posted a damage claim with after hours return- then I got an Avis "claim" document in the mail 2 months after I rented. BUT- I turned my car in just before they closed, and had the agent check in the car, including sitting in the front seat and looking out all the windows- there was no damage. :) Anc where the claim came from on their documents list window damage- the NEXT morning and I guess assuming the car was a drop off, sent me the bill? Upon calling them- they go, "oh yeah" I see the close out. Well, I'm not liable for damage after I checked back in. This is the second time, I am seeing this, this season from the same vendor. I rented from both the Mill St Avis and Juneau car rental this year.

As for the airport rentals. I just did that and simply- took the airport bus- express there. You would have to walk to the bus stop and be mindful of the time, since it runs once per hour. Never any issue/problem for me. Benefit was it was quick for me to get to where I wanted since I was going that direction anyway.

We are going in Sept next year and already have a reservation with Juneau Car Rentals. While she could not guarantee the price yet because they do not line up their prices until March, we are reserved for the car. We plan to do the glacier for sure first, and I still need to research the rest of our day.