Mexico travel warning

just saw a travel advisory about the violence in Mexico. It is an updated one. Don't know how to post the link. But it specifically mentioned Cozumel. Along with cancun and other cities in Mexico. Cozumel is on my itinerary for my September 30 cruise on harmony. They are also showing a report on inside edition today about the violence and tainted alcohol. Does Royal Caribbean get these notifications from the government? Is there a chance they could change us to another port? I know I don't have to get off the ship. But with these warnings from the government to avoid travel, just wondering what they could do in such a short time. If anything.

These warnings have been, and probably always will be in effect.

Mexico does have a lot of violence, but the major tourist spots generally have a heavy police presence and are generally safe, provided you don't stray from the beaten path.

I'm a bit nervous about this too. We leave for the Mexican Riviera Sep 30th on HAL with Cabo as one of our stops. Cabo is also mentioned in the new travel advisory as currently experiencing an uptick in violent crime.

I just think that if the government is advising you not to travel some where, the cruise line should take it seriously and find somewhere Else to go. A lot of people go for the all inclusive day passes. You have to watch for tainted alcohol. Trying to save some money, people don't book excursions on the ship. So now you are getting into a taxi, don't know the area. Hopefully you get to your destination. It scary. Yes I can just stay on the ship but if I do get off the ship I want to be safe. The one article from the govt talks about different kinds of abductions. I really hope royal takes it seriously.

I think the "sky is falling" happens to be in full play. Check the travel warnings from Canada about Mexico to get a fair and balanced view. We have never felt unsafe in Northern Baja and now the US warnings predicts all sorts of doom and gloom even there. Would I travel to the interior isolated areas? No way.

There are unsafe places all over the world if I really was afraid I wouldn't be going to the grocery store.

Edited by jamesr3939

I just think that if the government is advising you not to travel some where, the cruise line should take it seriously and find somewhere Else to go. A lot of people go for the all inclusive day passes. You have to watch for tainted alcohol. Trying to save some money, people don't book excursions on the ship. So now you are getting into a taxi, don't know the area. Hopefully you get to your destination. It scary. Yes I can just stay on the ship but if I do get off the ship I want to be safe. The one article from the govt talks about different kinds of abductions. I really hope royal takes it seriously.

I would be careful but not overly concerned about Cozumel. We spend 2 weeks every January there and yes you will see police presence but we feel safe there. Also the Mexican government is trying to get Cozumel off the warning as it mainly pertains to Cancun and Playa

I think the "sky is falling" happens to be in full play. Check the travel warnings from Canada about Mexico to get a fair and balanced view. We have never felt unsafe in Northern Baja and now the US warnings predicts all sorts of doom and gloom even there. Would I travel to the interior isolated areas? No way.

There are unsafe places all over the world if I really was afraid I wouldn't be going to the grocery store.

So you choose to completely ignore the current U.S. Statement travel warnings?

I live in S. Cali. we used to go to Mexico all the time...NOT anymore. The violence is getting worse than it has ever been. We won't book a cruise with a port that includes Mexico. The government issued the warning for reason.

I live in S. Cali. we used to go to Mexico all the time...NOT anymore. The violence is getting worse than it has ever been. We won't book a cruise with a port that includes Mexico. The government issued the warning for reason.

I live in Northern California and I totally agree with you on all respects, which includes crime is worse in CA that it has ever been. I am not sure I would spend much time outside of an all inclusive in mainland, but northern Baja we have been to several times in the recent past and I am not concerned anymore than in parts of LA. In fact we just bought a condo in Rosarito aka: San Diego south.

There were similar travel warnings about Honduras last year when we went to Roatan. We took them into consideration, but didn't have any real reservations about going. We took a ship sponsored excursion, stayed with our group, and never felt unsafe while there.

I believe the warnings are still in effect, and we would not hesitate to return. Just like home, you have to play it smart.

We wouldn't have any qualms about visiting Cozumel on a cruise at this time, either. If the cruiseline continues to go there, they obviously believe it is safe to do so. You ultimately must decide for yourself if you feel comfortable or not.

The warning for the east side, cancun, coz... is the same it always is. Nothing substantial has changed. Cozumel is probably the safest place in Mexico.... and probably safer than places in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be careful but not overly concerned about Cozumel. We spend 2 weeks every January there and yes you will see police presence but we feel safe there. Also the Mexican government is trying to get Cozumel off the warning as it mainly pertains to Cancun and Playa

I hope they are able to take it off the warning, but still maintain police presence. Last time we were there was just last April and had no worries in getting to the beach. I guess we will be concerned the next time.

I'm the op. I was in Cozumel for the first time last year when I was on the oasis. Was very excited since we had never been there before. Didn't have anything booked. Got off the ship and outside the terminal there was a guy who was selling day passes to the all inclusives. Me and my husband purchased one. Was taken over in a van. Yes I was a little nervous. When we were there a big bike race was going on. So they couldn't drive us to the door. We had to get out and walk about a half mile. They actually had a guy from the resort come walk with us. The guy we were with was telling us how bad cancun was. And that he moved to Cozumel because he has kids. He said Cozumel is getting bad.

But we did have a great time. We are doing the same itinerary as last year just different ship. I wasn't concerned about anything till I saw the travel warning. It said it was updated. And also with the reports coming out about the tainted alcohol. So I started reading all the articles. It just makes you a little nervous. There was also a news show about it last night. I was just wondering if Royal was following this and if they were would they do something. I'm sure I will be ok. But reading the article was eye opening.

Also my sister is going to an all inclusive in cancun for her bachelorette party 3 weeks before I leave. Her travel agent let her know about the warning. And asked her if she wanted to change her trip to go somewhere else. So when I heard that I got concerned. I'm not a nervous person. I have been On 12 cruises all different ports. I know things can happen anywhere. But I'm sure we will do something in Cozumel. But I will just be more cautious.

I'm the op. I was in Cozumel for the first time last year when I was on the oasis. Was very excited since we had never been there before. Didn't have anything booked. Got off the ship and outside the terminal there was a guy who was selling day passes to the all inclusives. Me and my husband purchased one. Was taken over in a van. Yes I was a little nervous. When we were there a big bike race was going on. So they couldn't drive us to the door. We had to get out and walk about a half mile. They actually had a guy from the resort come walk with us. The guy we were with was telling us how bad cancun was. And that he moved to Cozumel because he has kids. He said Cozumel is getting bad.

But we did have a great time. We are doing the same itinerary as last year just different ship. I wasn't concerned about anything till I saw the travel warning. It said it was updated. And also with the reports coming out about the tainted alcohol. So I started reading all the articles. It just makes you a little nervous. There was also a news show about it last night. I was just wondering if Royal was following this and if they were would they do something. I'm sure I will be ok. But reading the article was eye opening.

Also my sister is going to an all inclusive in cancun for her bachelorette party 3 weeks before I leave. Her travel agent let her know about the warning. And asked her if she wanted to change her trip to go somewhere else. So when I heard that I got concerned. I'm not a nervous person. I have been On 12 cruises all different ports. I know things can happen anywhere. But I'm sure we will do something in Cozumel. But I will just be more cautious.

Cancun I would avoid. Cozumel I would be aware of my surroundings but not worried or nervous. We travel off the beaten path in Cozumel and have never felt unsafe. If it were that unsafe no one would be going there

These warnings have been, and probably always will be in effect.

Mexico does have a lot of violence, but the major tourist spots generally have a heavy police presence and are generally safe, provided you don't stray from the beaten path.

Don't assume so. Much of Mexico has been off limits to the Military for years. They have started targeting the easy tourist areas. Heavy police presence no longer equates to safety of visitors

Back when he was AD, he had to submit his itinerary and note that he was not planning to get off the ship in ANY Mexican port. His Clearance is still active, so now we just indicate we will not be leaving the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cancun I would avoid. Cozumel I would be aware of my surroundings but not worried or nervous. We travel off the beaten path in Cozumel and have never felt unsafe. If it were that unsafe no one would be going there

I think the difference with Cozumel is that it is an offshore island, and thus much harder for any criminal element to escape from without being detected and caught.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

I'm a bit nervous about this too. We leave for the Mexican Riviera Sep 30th on HAL with Cabo as one of our stops. Cabo is also mentioned in the new travel advisory as currently experiencing an uptick in violent crime.
I am leaving for a resort stay in Riviera Maya and plan to take ferry to Cosumel one day . We have been to this region 3 times in the last 3 years and have always felt safe . You have to use your head , don't go to the parts of town that can be dangerous , don't flash money around and do not wear all kinds of expensive jellery .You willbe just fine , and have found this to be true all over Mexico .

I stopped drinking their alcohol years ago when it didn't taste right. I do drink their beer and having had any issues. I still feel relatively safe in Cozumel and would "hope" that if we were in danger the ships would suspend porting their.

Much of Mexico has been off limits to the Military for years.

A relatively broad, and therefore vague statement.

They have started targeting the easy tourist areas.

'They' are not 'targeting' tourist areas, the narco criminals are targeting each other in ongoing turf battles. And yes, there are a few cases where tourists have unfortunately been caught up in the turf war violence.

Back when he was AD, he had to submit his itinerary and note that he was not planning to get off the ship in ANY Mexican port. His Clearance is still active, so now we just indicate we will not be leaving the pier.

After 24 in the military (retired), and other 15 years as a consultant to the DoD (with clearance), my travel to Mexico has never once been restricted in any way. And being from San Diego, we've been to various locations in Mexico (cruising and otherwise) probably 30 or more times over the years without incident. Our next trip to the Mexican Riviera will be on a cruise next month... can't wait! :D

Don't assume so. Much of Mexico has been off limits to the Military for years. His Clearance is still active, so now we just indicate we will not be leaving the pier.

Only time I recall Mexico being off limits was when the Ft Bliss C/O raised the drinking age on base to 21 from 18 and all the young soldiers started crossing the border to drink and get crazy. It created a real problem so he put travel to Mexico off limits for a while. The military doesn't have a blank ban on military travel to Mexico. Some base commanders can rule it "off limits" for travel, but it's not a blanket ban.

I also hold an active clearance and there is no blanket restrictions on traveling any where. I do have to notify my security officer before any foreign travel and they could tell me not to travel there, but they never have. There are certain countries that are considered "hostile" and travel there can be denied. Plus, you will get a personal de-briefing upon return from one of those places.

BTW: thanks for the reminder I guess I better let security know about some travel next month.

For what its worth, my nephew and his wife just came back from a week in Cancun. They had a great time, but posted one pic of a fully armed guard nearby.