Guidebook for Argentina and Chile

tak2

I'll be on a Celebrity cruise to these countries in Jan 2007. Just beginning to learn about them, but there are only three books at bookstore.... Fodors" South America", Frommers " Argentina and Chile" and Lonely Planet " South America on a shoestring Budget"( which is not what I'm looking for) I'm sure there are others out there. I wouldn't want to order them just based on description online such as Amazon.com. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I looked a couple of years ago when we were first planning our trip to S.A.

Unfortunately all I could find was the Lonely Planet book on S.A. which I bought as we are also going to Peru and Ecuador.

There is some excellent information in it and is well worth buying even though a lot is for budget travellers.

Jennie

I have been using Frommer's books for 38 years. Our first one was on our honeymoon: Europe on 5$ a Day. My how that has changed! Wherever I got I get a Frommer's book. So in front of me I hae Fromer's Argentina & Chile. It is very nice, but has so much more in in than what we need cruising! I have already removed the pages that apply to the places we are going and will put them in another notebook with other info I have gleaned from the net, this website, and others. No sense taking the big book. At first it hurt me to remove pages, but I can always put them back in---when weight limits are an issue---no need for a fat book. We are going to Santiago/Valparaiso for 3 days prior to our cruise--independently. It has been invaluable in planning for that. The same with our 2 days at Iguazu Falls and 5 days in Buenos Aires, post cruise. There is not a whole lot written about the out of the way places we are going to, however. There was a nice section on SA history in it that I found interesting---and I'm not a history lover! I like to use it to have an idea of what I'll be seeing. Can also ask your independent tour guides to take you there if possible.I bought it used on Amazon.com. Looked new. FYI, if you travel independently in Europe, Rick Steves' guide books are fantastic. Take you to the smaller area. I also use Frommers as supplements in Europe, too, but I really like Rick Steves. In fact, he tells you to rip up his book and take just what you need. At the end of your trip, send the pages back to him and he will send you a new book! It's great you are starting early. Good Luck. The planning is as fun as the trip!! We leave Jan 7.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gerena, I totally agree with you on Rick Steves, having just came back from a med cruise using his books for all the ports, plus Barcelona and Venice pre and post cruise. Also used his Scandanavia book for Baltic cruise 3 years ago, just perfect for our purposes. But there is no rick Steves equivalent for S. America. I noted two books from Lonely Planet.... Argentina( 2005) and Chile & Easter Island ( 2003 ) , wonder if anyone can comment on those?

BTW, Gerena, how does one get new book from Rick Steves after ripping out pages ? Does he send an updated edition? Just doesn't make sense:confused: .... then nobody needs to buy the new ones .

tak 2,

We used his book for our Baltic Cruise, too--loved the tour of Estonia. We were following his book on the walking tour, laughing under our breath at those who had paid big bucks for a ship's tour!

I'm sure I read about the replacement, somewhere, but in getting out 2 of my books (the latest one I loaned a friend and have not seen her since their trip). Our last book we used was in 2001, purchased book in 2000, so I did not apply for the new book. I think there were stipulations it had to be the current book and they would send a current book. You have me curious, so I will see if I can find out more information for you. I'm trying to think where to look.

Rena

Moon Handbooks have just released a guidebook on Patagonia and the Falkland Islands by Wayne Bernhardson (known also for his Lonely Planet guides). It has nearly 600 pages, so it should be a wealth of information, covering everything from Puerto Montt to the Peninsula Valdes. I just ordered the book from Amazon.com.

Wayne Bernhardson has written separate books on Argentina, Buenos Aires and Chile as well, but this one on Patagonia is his latest volume.

As for city guides, there's a brand new Time Out Buenos Aires by Cathy Runciman on Time Out Guides. Lots of restaurants, museums and theater/shows.

Then of course there's the classic South American Handbook. Too much pages and info for those cruising, but otherwise invaluable. Before bitten by the cruise ship bug, which happened just a few years ago, my wife and I used to travel the world, South America included, by land and air :).

Kari from a snowy & chilly Finland

I looked through a couple at the library and then saw Frommer's "Chile and Argentina" and like it enough to buy it. so far, it looks to have useful info and a single book covers both countries.

$14.99 at Amazon!

My wife and I were on a South America Cruise earlier this year. In preparation for the cruise last year we purchased the Frommer's Agentina and Chile book and this book served us very well. It provided very useful information and we used it extensively. I'm sure there are other good ones out there, but we were very pleased with the book we purchased.

We greatly enjoyed the cruise. Wonderful ports and beautiful scenery.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the suggestions.

Gerena, I totally agree with you on Rick Steves, having just came back from a med cruise using his books for all the ports, plus Barcelona and Venice pre and post cruise. Also used his Scandanavia book for Baltic cruise 3 years ago, just perfect for our purposes. But there is no rick Steves equivalent for S. America. I noted two books from Lonely Planet.... Argentina( 2005) and Chile & Easter Island ( 2003 ) , wonder if anyone can comment on those?

BTW, Gerena, how does one get new book from Rick Steves after ripping out pages ? Does he send an updated edition? Just doesn't make sense:confused: .... then nobody needs to buy the new ones .

Take 2.

Here is the response I got from Steves e-mail. I didn't have all the facts straight.!!!

Thanks for your e-mail and we're glad you liked Rick's European Christmas TV show. The offer you're referring to is still in effect, but it's only ever been available for Rick's museum tour guidebook. The book is called "Rick Steves: Best European City Walks & Museums 2005" (which used to be called "Mona Winks"). Here is an excerpt regarding this offer from the first page of the introduction chapter of this book:

Rip up this book. Before your trip, rip out, staple bind, and pack just the individual chapters you'll use. (If this really bugs you, send all the pieces and $5 to Europe Through the Back Door, 130 4th Avenue North, Edmonds, WA 98020, and we'll send you a new copy. Really.)

we are doing this trip in march.. reading a great book-rounding the horn- by dallas murphy. lots of history and experiences of sailing in this part of the world. sounds exciting and scary. cant wait. hope you will share your experiences on this board

Hi Linda

That is right you trip is just around the corner. I did not buy them but got them as gifts from David and Marc. I am thinking they got them at B&N?

Love to talk with you when you get back to see what you liked and did not like.

Thanks

Deb

I'll be on a Celebrity cruise to these countries in Jan 2007.

We've also just booked on Celebrity Infinity for January 14 2007!

Frommers has always served me right in the past, but I will definitely look at the book on Patagonia. Thanks everyone!

Linda and Trishu, make sure to report back once you return! Have a great cruise!

Archived