Sept 24 Oasis sailing

I've been reading the latest posts about the port of Galveston and all of the issues with Liberty of the Seas. We have a Sept 24 sailing on the Oasis of the Seas, and I've been nervously watching the new system coming off of the coast of Africa that is predicted to become a storm in the next few days.

If this DOES become a storm, as long as there isn't a direct hit or near miss at Port Canaveral, will the cruise likely take place? If a storm affects any of the ports listed on our itinerary, will RCCL change ports to avoid it?

It's been 30 years since I've been on a cruise, and I've been looking forward to this one, so I'm hoping Mother Nature cooperates. Fingers crossed.

I'm leaving sept 3 on oasis and am now concerned. They won't keep a ship in the port during a hurricane. They sail away from it. Look at what's happening in Texas. If they can't get into the port, the ship will remain at sea and cruises will get lengthened and shortened. If they can get into port to turn the ship and the hurricane is elsewhere and in the path of itinerary they usually alter the itenerary or cancel ports.

I am sailing on the Oasis, Sept. 3, as well. Hopefully all will be well. I feel so sad for Texas. I live on the east coast of Florida and we went through Hurricane Matthew last year, although it was not nearly as bad as Texas' situation. We also went through Hurricane Sandy on a cruise that was supposed to go to Bermuda. It never made it there, and ended up being a cruise to nowhere, that hunkered down in a bay during the worst of the storm. Before we sailed but while we were on the ship they made an announcement and were allowing people to cancel, or stay on board and get OBC. We stayed, but about 20% opted not to.

I am also on the Sept 24th sailing (it's getting so close :D:D). I don't know a ton about weather patterns but I can't imagine a storm that is developing now would have any impact almost a month away. Or are you just inferring you are worried in general because so many storms are cropping up?

I am a little anxious too; obviously September is a risky time to sail but I think all we can do is wait until the week of to really worry about the weather. I would say that the odds are most of the time, the weather is beautiful.

We sailed two weeks ago. There was a potential large storm heading right towards the port the day we were leaving. I stressed and stressed and guess what! It changed direction and we had perfect weather almost the whole week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums