Wine on ship ( anthem )

I just started getting into wine lately. I'm definitely a newb and am learning along the way. I though I would be able to get a good deal on a bottle, but for example any of the wines offered ( bottle price ) are double and some triple the price I find on google . Is this just the prices being high on bottles to purchase and drink while on the cruise ? I mean, - will the duty free shop on the ship have good deals for wine to take home or should I be careful with the prices their as well ? Wine is tough because a bottle of jack Daniels is a standard price. You know if your getting a good deal. With wine you need to do your homework

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am by no means an expert, but I do enjoy my kind of wine LOL. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a newbie too.

Yes, the prices on the ship are much higher than at home (always). I really hate that. I can get a bottle of my stuff for $14 and yet it costs $30 on board. I do have a drink package so at least I can get a glass of wine with my package. It's up to a certain amount $13 or $14 for a glass which is ridiculous because the same price I'm paying for the glass is the same price I pay for at home for a bottle!

You can bring two bottles of wine with you to enjoy on your cruise. . As for prices in the duty free shops, good question. I usually don't buy wine but I do buy Baileys or Vodka and I do find the prices to be a little cheaper. Hopefully others here have an answer on that.

quite honestly unless you are an expert and KNOW thins and outs of all the regions, wine on board is overpriced.

does not mean you can't get a GOOD glass for a reasonable cost but you are fixated on cost you are doing it wrong.

yes the bottle of Red at your local Publix is $8.99 and $24.99 on board. this is NO different than glass of beer at the pub being $3.50 and at the football stadium being $15.

even paying the corkage fee, bringing your own 2 bottle is usually less expensive. or do what we do, and just have a corkscrew and glasses delivered to our stateroom and pour before we head to dinner.

I just started getting into wine lately. I'm definitely a newb and am learning along the way. I though I would be able to get a good deal on a bottle, but for example any of the wines offered ( bottle price ) are double and some triple the price I find on google . Is this just the prices being high on bottles to purchase and drink while on the cruise ? I mean, - will the duty free shop on the ship have good deals for wine to take home or should I be careful with the prices their as well ? Wine is tough because a bottle of jack Daniels is a standard price. You know if your getting a good deal. With wine you need to do your homework

I agree that the price of wine is high on the ship, but I don't think it's valid to compare the price of wine on the ship to what it would be in a retail wine store. I think it's more appropriate to compare ship price to a land restaurant price. In that comparison, the ship price is not unreasonable.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I am foolish to think wine would be cheaper. Just like buying a glass at a local bar it always costs more than buying it in retail store. That being said. I was wondering if anyone knew any deals in the duty free shop I should take advantage of. I'll be in Bermuda and don't expect any great deals their

I agree that the price of wine is high on the ship, but I don't think it's valid to compare the price of wine on the ship to what it would be in a retail wine store. I think it's more appropriate to compare ship price to a land restaurant price. In that comparison, the ship price is not unreasonable.
This is a great point. I was frankly surprised to see how many reasonably priced wines by the bottle were available on board (compared to U.S. restaurant prices). Funny that people will complain about paying 2 to 3 times the retail price for a bottle of wine, but I don't see anyone asking if they can bring their own $10 steak on board to avoid paying $50 for it in the steakhouse!

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I am foolish to think wine would be cheaper. Just like buying a glass at a local bar it always costs more than buying it in retail store. That being said. I was wondering if anyone knew any deals in the duty free shop I should take advantage of. I'll be in Bermuda and don't expect any great deals their

For wine? Diddly. The shops are there to provide rum and vodka. In fact have never seen wine in a duty free shop on board. And you have to be at the right ports in order to get anything worthwhile. Coastal California. With a stop in Monterey.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to be clear, any liquor you buy on board is held until you disembark. Same for anything bought at any shore excursions. You can bring the two bottles of wine on board per cabin.

Just realize this is a vacation venue and rarely do you get a bargain on drinks or anything else for that matter.

I would think about getting liquor package , if you get it will cover all wine/drinks up to 12/13 (depending on ship) , great way to try many different wines by the glass. Most of the wines we drink are a few dollars over the 12/13 dollar limit so if your limit is 12 and you order a 15 dollar glass of wine you just pay 3 dollars plus tip on the 3.

While the wines listed on board the ship are pricey and I wish they would let us bring more than 2 bottles of wines they don't carry on board for a corkage fee, we have found one selection that is reasonable. They usually offer on the 7day and longer cruises a wine tasting. We have the French, Italian and around the world. The wines are very good and for $23 you get to taste 4 to 5 wines and paired with cheese and dried fruity. They have not been stingy with the pours either. All the open bottles are finished. I do recommend the wine tasting if it is a selection on your cruise planner.