Menus for the week?

DianetheCruiser

Question for seasoned Viking Ocean travelers: Are the menus for the week for Chef's Table and The Restaurant posted on the interactive TV in your room? That would be good to know before I make reservations for the specialty restaurants.

Would be good to know especially for those of us who have food allergies.:confused::confused:

Would be good to know especially for those of us who have food allergies.:confused::confused:

Don't worry about those allergies; you will be well taken care of. Viking has one person in the dining room assigned to riding herd on you. Those who have food allergies and who have so informed Viking, will be given the next day's dinner menu at dinner and asked to make their choices for that meal. That slip of paper will be at the host's stand when you arrive at dinner and be given to your waiter when they seat you. If you are eating in one of the specialty restaurants the next evening, let them know. If you are eating in Manfredi's, they will give you a Manfredi's menu to mark up and if you are in the Chef's Table, they will inform that kitchen. However, always confirm with the specialty restaurant when you arrive that you have allergies.

If you are eating in the World Cafe, there are always Managers walking around (easy to find in their dress blue uniforms) who will help you determine what is off limits for you. Also, there are always things that can be prepared fresh for you. I understand also that Gluten-Free foods are now being labeled.

Certain dietary issues are asked to inform Viking 90 days before sailing. Other issues can be dealt with when you board. (From the FAQs):

Can You Accommodate My Dietary Restrictions?

In most cases we can. Every meal has vegetarian options and our chefs will make reasonable efforts to accommodate requests. Guests requiring special diets (low salt, diabetic, gluten-free and low cholesterol) should alert us 90 days prior to departure and remind the Maître d’ when on board.

A friend who travels with us has a2-page list of items she can't eat. Our travel agent sends that in advance to to Viking and they work with our friend to prepare special meals when necessary. On one river cruise the chef met with our friend every mor impinge to plan her meals. We are getting on VO Sea tomorrow and I know our friend will be making sure to contact the restaurant people as soon as she can.

Good info for those with food allergies.

I'd also like to know if menus are available on stateroom TV's.

I don't know what is on the TV but I do know that the day's menus are posted on electronic signboards around the ship (outside the restaurants and by the elevators). Manfredi's menu offers many choices and does not change except for a couple of daily specials. Chef's Table is a fixed menu (1 appetizer, 1 main dish etc.) that changes every three days (and day one of your cruise is not necessarily day one of the menu). When you go to make your reservations for CT, they will show the menus that will be served during your cruise. CT will make substitutions for food allergies, GF, etc. Menu rotation in the MDR/World Cafe is at least 14 days and each day includes a local specialty.