Flight Dilemma

cjwhistle

We are looking to book a cruise that ends in Rome in either June or July 2018. Post cruise we are off to Ireland for one week. Looks like there are only two nonstop flights from FCO to Dublin. Both times are not ideal - which to choose? We will be 7 people (my two parents, my sister, my husband, 2 year old daughter any myself) and getting off the Celebrity Constellation.

Option 1) 11:15am from FCO - I don't know if we'll be able to make this flight? Is it too early even if we do the earliest possible disembarkation and hire a private transfer?

Option 2) 8:35pm from FCO - we would definitely be able to make this flight. However that does give us a lot of time to kill in Rome. Would a private tour be best? Would the tour be able to pick us up at port, tour Rome and then drop us off at FCO?

IF we could make the 11:15 flight, we'd prefer it, as it gets us to Dublin at a reasonable hour and not at almost 11pm. We do have a 2 hour drive after the flight to get to my husband's hometown.

Ireland is not a member nation to the Schengen agreement so you will need to go through passport control, so that adds a little time before the flight. However, two hours prior is sufficient so if you can get off the ship by 8:15 AM and into a private transfer you should be fine.

We have made that 11.15 am flight to Dublin several times, with no problems.

Here is a post I made on the last one:

Our ship (HAL Koningsdam) docked at 7am and we had Expedited Disembarkation, so we were called at 7.15, and sitting in the car provided by Stefano's RomeCabs by 7.45.

We were at FCO terminal 3 by 9am. It was a Sunday morning (May holiday sunday) and there was very little traffic.

We had time to do some shopping for cosmetics for DW, buy a few 'Italian scooter posters' and have a light breakfast between arriving at the terminal and going to the gate.

Provided that the ship is docking at around 7am and you book a private transfer (Stefano's Rome Cabs is well recommended) for a 7.45 pick up at the dock, you should have no problems. You will need to take your own luggage as there are no porters around.

We have made that 11.15 am flight to Dublin several times, with no problems.

Here is a post I made on the last one:

Our ship (HAL Koningsdam) docked at 7am and we had Expedited Disembarkation, so we were called at 7.15, and sitting in the car provided by Stefano's RomeCabs by 7.45.

We were at FCO terminal 3 by 9am. It was a Sunday morning (May holiday sunday) and there was very little traffic.

We had time to do some shopping for cosmetics for DW, buy a few 'Italian scooter posters' and have a light breakfast between arriving at the terminal and going to the gate.

Provided that the ship is docking at around 7am and you book a private transfer (Stefano's Rome Cabs is well recommended) for a 7.45 pick up at the dock, you should have no problems. You will need to take your own luggage as there are no porters around.

Thank you for your reply.

Our ship is set to dock at 6:30am on a Saturday. I hope we'll have the same experience as you.

Hi,

About a year ago i had a similar dilemma with my flight as well. I was not so brave and I did not choose a 11:15 flight and purchased a later flight. Probably many choose the 11:15 and they were just fine.

One thing that I did to help me make a decision, is ask and check the particular CC forum for the same ship that I was going to sail on.. I asked the recent cruisers to comment when they were allowed to disembark the ship.

The ship that I sailed on got to Civitavecchia port about 5 am but the first cruisers that started disembarkation were allowed to leave about 6:45. It is also very helpful to have your luggage with you. Waiting for your luggage to be transported by ship to the terminal takes extra time. It also takes extra time to find your luggage in the terminal.

Another thing that is helpful - is the past record of departures of your airline. Do they have a tendency to move your departure time. Mine did moved to earlier time but I stlil had enough time to make the flight. My flight was to Canada, it was in July, and on sunday ..... and the lines with people were long.

One more thing, do book a private transfer and if cost is a factor for you, make some comparison shopping - different companies charge different amounts for the same transfer. Our family of 8 adults ( with luggage) was transported in a new ( looked like new) van driven by a driver who was fluant in English language for 150 euro ( port to FCO). They did not require credit card number during the booking. They were quick in responding with information. Also check how long will they wait for you in case if there is some delay. You also want to make sure that they will pick you up by the ship..... some might not.

Edited by wieslaw