Silhouette in Lisbon. Which pier is the most likely?

A Sixth?

Can't answer the pier question, but consider the HOHO bus for a great tour of the city. Inexpensive and you see a lot. You can jump off at an interesting stop and then reboard at your leisure.

Many factors determine which pier, and their are 5, spread over around 4 km.

We've been to Lisbon many times and have docked at all of the piers one time or another. Sometimes don't know which pier until the night before docking. Luckily, there is only one other ship in port the day you are there (Braemar), so perhaps you will be docking at Santa Apolonia, which we consider the best terminal for access to the city.

We've been into Lisbon several times, and always berthed at R. Gen. Gomes Araujo, right near the big bridge and close to Belem.

There's a port website I saw several years ago that showed all the future ships & their berths. Sorry, don't have it bookmarked.

The last three years on the Eclipse we've berthed in Alfama opposite the Museu do Fado. It's an easy 10-15 minute walk to the shopping district from there (watch out for pickpockets).

Last year we were berthed next to Equinox and sailed away together. There is also a Duty Free Shop at this berth.

The great likelihood is that you will dock at Santa Apolonia. You can walk to the center in 25-30 minutes.

Cabs AND Uber are very reasonable in Lisbon, bordering on cheap. I'd suggest a ride into the center and back to the ship. Save your walking for around town!

Kendal:cool:

I've checked the site for the port of Lisbon and it looks like the Silhouette is predicted (yes they call it a "prediction"!) to dock at Santa Apolónia.

For reference the site is at http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA/CRUZEIROS/PREVISAO_NAVIOS_CRUZEIRO

I couldn't get it to work in english (asks for a login for some reason) but it here is a crash course in portuguese: :D

Data Inicial = start date

Data Final = end date

Chegada = arrival

Partida = departure

Navio = ship

Cais Acostagem = docking pier

Limpar = clean

Pesquisar = search

I am on the same cruise😊 We have toured Lisbon before and used Tram 28 for great sightseeing! Great info online about Tram 28 route with warnings about pickpocketers. We never had a problem, although we are always cautious in ANY crowded place. Hoping we dock close to historic area, although we will probably cab from port.

The last three years on the Eclipse we've berthed in Alfama opposite the Museu do Fado. It's an easy 10-15 minute walk to the shopping district from there (watch out for pickpockets).

Last year we were berthed next to Equinox and sailed away together. There is also a Duty Free Shop at this berth.

Totally agree re the pick pockets...only city we have ever been robbed in. We return in a few weeks, a few euros is all we will be taking off the ship with us...

We were told by the very helpful tourist police that most of the pick pockets are young, well dressed women in pairs (not Portuguese). They act as tourists with maps or cameras in hand, they will often start a conversation with their 'victims' asking about a location, a bus stop, they will look confused or in need of help and then they move on....leaving you minus a wallet, phone, camera....

After saying this I wouldn't let it put me off enjoying the city, it is wonderful and the Portuguese are very welcoming.

Totally agree re the pick pockets...only city we have ever been robbed in. We return in a few weeks, a few euros is all we will be taking off the ship with us...

We were told by the very helpful tourist police that most of the pick pockets are young, well dressed women in pairs (not Portuguese). They act as tourists with maps or cameras in hand, they will often start a conversation with their 'victims' asking about a location, a bus stop, they will look confused or in need of help and then they move on....leaving you minus a wallet, phone, camera....

After saying this I wouldn't let it put me off enjoying the city, it is wonderful and the Portuguese are very welcoming.

That is exactly how one person on our first cruise into Lisbon was robbed, Within yards of the ship. Young well dressed couple with a map asking directions.

Spain has made the situation worse, in some parts thefts under a certain value are not recorded or investigated. It's made it open season on tourists.

It saddens me that whenever my home town is talked about, someone mentions how they got pick pocketed there (bonus if it was ONLY there).

Then I remember that I was pick pocketed exactly once in my life....in the touristy part of Lisbon :rolleyes:

A tip though: assume that you stand out and look very much like a tourist, and that no one would ever confuse you for a local. There is no logical reason anyone would ask you for help or directions, unless they want to distract you.

Thanks for the heads up on pick pockets,

Sadly, it's common in many of ports we're visiting on our B2B2B. Have secret pocket pants that were "attempted-picked" once, plus carry little of value ashore save maybe my small digital camera.

BTW, I always change my camera's memory card at each port "just in case" I loose it. Can buy a new camera, can't buy back the pictures on it.

Beware-of-Pick-Pockets-Sign.jpg

Don't get me started on Lisbon.

Beautiful city, met some lovely people but the 1st day there we ended up in the "tourist" police station along with others who were ripped off in various ways.

Walked into the shop next door afterwards and had to practically swat away the pickpockets like flies!

As I said, beautiful city but stay alert for pickpockets, thieves and taxi drivers who will try to drop you off in a back alley and drive off with your luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums