Hurricane Irma Watch

Unfortunately I don't think that will be option this time. Those storms went east to west or vice versa were Irma is south to north. In addition that was 13 years ago, lots have changed in Fla since then. I saw a stat today that Miami Dade county is 7th biggest in US with 2.7 million people. When Andrew hit in 92 I believe the pop was only 800k. Another crazy stat, the total for those four storms was like 60 billion. Harvey will be like 175 they say. If this storm hits as anticipated it may hit 300 as there is enormous real estate in Fla.

If it comes up the middle of the state,like a lot of the models are showing, we (east coast) will be in big trouble. Worst side to be on.

Unfortunately I don't think that will be option this time. Those storms went east to west or vice versa were Irma is south to north. In addition that was 13 years ago, lots have changed in Fla since then. I saw a stat today that Miami Dade county is 7th biggest in US with 2.7 million people. When Andrew hit in 92 I believe the pop was only 800k. Another crazy stat, the total for those four storms was like 60 billion. Harvey will be like 175 they say. If this storm hits as anticipated it may hit 300 as there is enormous real estate in Fla.

Still a lot of uncertainty about final track. Heck, if it nudges just a little further south it could hit Hispaniola and Cuba directly and the mountains could reduce the intensity substantially...so we don't even know final intensity yet.

But if it comes up the state the best hope is that it keeps moving along at a good clip. A storm that hangs out for a while causes a lot more damage than one which moves through, regardless the direction.

Still a lot of uncertainty about final track. Heck, if it nudges just a little further south it could hit Hispaniola and Cuba directly and the mountains could reduce the intensity substantially...so we don't even know final intensity yet.

But if it comes up the state the best hope is that it keeps moving along at a good clip. A storm that hangs out for a while causes a lot more damage than one which moves through, regardless the direction.

Interesting you bring up hispanolia and Cuba, the mountainous part is unfortunately on opposite side of were eye will be. What's weird is the models didn't show the mb going down sig when it was tracking over those islands. Typically you see canes lose one cat when they go over these islands.unfortunately Irma has stayed off the islands mentioned over last two models.

Correcting myself, misread article. Miami Dade pop was 800,000 less, not 800,000. So it was 1.9 million when Andrew hit.

We are on Allure now and it feels a bit like the elephant in the room no one is talking about. The captain hasn't even acknowledged the hurricane since we departed. Everyone was expecting some kind of "we are aware of this and will be sure to keep you safe" type of announcement during the muster drill announcements and there was nothing. Today is the same. Just silence.

We've heard they had close to 1000 cancellations and no shows due to the storm, so it's possible this is a business decision to avoid mass disembarkation in Cozumel but it's not the best way to handle it.

Interesting you bring up hispanolia and Cuba, the mountainous part is unfortunately on opposite side of were eye will be. What's weird is the models didn't show the mb going down sig when it was tracking over those islands. Typically you see canes lose one cat when they go over these islands.unfortunately Irma has stayed off the islands mentioned over last two models.

Nothing about this storm looks good. Would be great to get enough movement south to get it down to a 3 or less before it gets out of the Greater Antilles, but looks like it's going to just skirt them to the north.

Would be great for the combined effects of the high out in the mid-atlantic and the low moving in from the midwest to set up just right to spin it out to sea, but looks like that's not going to happen.

Lot of things could happen to make it a less dangerous storm, but so far none of them have come to pass.

Everyone was expecting some kind of "we are aware of this and will be sure to keep you safe" type of announcement during the muster drill announcements and there was nothing.

The captain wants to live and RCCL wants its $1.5billion boat back in one piece - so they will definitely keep you safe. Its what happens to your ports and when you return that will be up for debate and they probably have no idea at this stage.

I'm following this topic closely. Me and a group of 8 are coming all the way from Brazil to be on Oasis next Sunday. Our flight is this Tuesday to Miami. We are going to stay a few days in Orlando until we can board the ship (if we can...). I already did another hotel reservation in case of a cancelation.

I have no idea what to expect of a hurricane, since in Brazil we don't have this. All we know is what we see in TV or the Internet, and it is not good at all... We all are scared a lot.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, guys!

McFly299, the forecasts indicate the eye will slide south of Miami, into the Gulf of Mexico. If true, Miami will feel heavy winds and a deluge of rain, but once you get on that ship, you'll have an awesome sunny cruise. Be prepared for bad weather on embarkation day. But it won't affect the cruise once you sail away from the port a few hours.

I live on the Gulf side, far south. The latest forecast shows it heading right for my house. I'd love to be on the cruise with you! I'm making plans to evacuate to Orlando.

I hope that all who live in the possible path of Hurricane Irma will "dodge a bullet" with this storm. We're set to sail on Adventure out of San Juan on 9/16, but I'll be flying into Ft Lauderdale FL to make a connection to SJ on 9/13. That's next Wednesday, so maybe there's a chance that the storm will be pushed out over the Atlantic by then. Keeping a positive thought about this trip! :)

Latest GFS model run still suggesting a run right up the middle of FL over the weekend.

The Euro model won't be out until pre-dawn hours this AM. We'll see what that one brings.

But so far not a lot of good news and the predictions of the moment would suggests a great deal of disruption for anyone trying to get off of or on to a ship in FL this weekend.

I'm following this topic closely. Me and a group of 8 are coming all the way from Brazil to be on Oasis next Sunday. Our flight is this Tuesday to Miami. We are going to stay a few days in Orlando until we can board the ship (if we can...). I already did another hotel reservation in case of a cancelation.

I have no idea what to expect of a hurricane, since in Brazil we don't have this. All we know is what we see in TV or the Internet, and it is not good at all... We all are scared a lot.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, guys!

Bring motion medicine! The patch is the best from a Dr. Sea bands you can wear. At best you are going to rock and roll! The patch is behind your ear and is time released! If you get here without it I would go to a walk in clinic or something to get a prescription for it, they work!

Overnight runs of both the GFS and Euro models bring the storm up the middle of the state. Euro has it clip Cuba enough to weaken some, GFS has a major storm almost the whole way up.

We're flying to Austin Friday morning.

If you have cruise plans, you should probably expect a delay if not outright cancellation. The good news is that it's a fast-moving storm and, absent any damage the port infrastructure, should be clear of the state by early in the week.

I booked this cruise in December... never even thinking of hurricanes... I live in Orlando area so they don't usually intimidate me much... it's supposed to be to celebrate my husband and i's 10th anniversary and it would also be my 2 and 3 year olds first cruise... my husbands outlook is things haven't been looking good since I am a started forming, he's already pretty much written off our cruise… I'm still optimistic that we're going to get on this boat someway some form! We are scheduled to be on oasis on the 10th. I hope to see all of you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it comes up the middle of the state,like a lot of the models are showing, we (east coast) will be in big trouble. Worst side to be on.

I'm west of Daytona, where 3 of 4 of the 2004 storms lingered for days. My manufactured home survived those, last year I had impact resistant windows put in, but no shutters. I am up in SC and NC, until the 15th, so I guess time will tell what I will find if I can get back home. Glad I prepared before I left home, would be sad to lose personal items that are not replaceable.

If they evacuate Southern FL this weekend will they automatically cancel the cruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IRMA is now a Category 5 hurricane. Bad news for Southern Florida.

Based on prior action, RCI will not automatically cancel cruises if Southern FL is evacuated. Look at what they did last week in Galveston. The Galveston port and Huston airports were closed, and RCI did not cancel the Aug 27 Liberty cruise until that day.

8:45a ET UPDATE:

-Hurricane Irma Becomes 'Extremely Dangerous' Category 5;

-Florida Declares Emergency;

-Airlines Cancel Flights, Issue Travel Waivers

-Royal Caribbean to Announce More Itinerary Changes Tomorrow

LATEST HERE

Would like to know where you are getting your info, the links provided will not open for me....am on Harmony hoping to be back sat am, fly home to Tampa, or not?....thank you.